Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

LastOnePicked

Verified Member
  • Posts

    1,959
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    10

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by LastOnePicked

  1. It is possible that I cannot accurately forsee the future tonight. I blame the rain.
  2. Caratini got a hit. Is that allowed. I gotta check the rulebook.
  3. That's the other half of the strategy. That's why it's so ingenious.
  4. They're lulling the Yanks into a false sense of security. It's a new strategy.
  5. Without a doubt, that's where the real fault lies with this team.
  6. It's probably good to figure out the source of one's perceptions, because I like Pete Maki and I want him to stay, but I don't know why. Maybe it's because I thought Ryan would be a bust and he turned into a strong first-half hurler. Maybe it's just because he received a battlefield promotion when Wes Johnson bailed on the club mid-season and seemed to handle it well.
  7. Their pitching staff had been projected to come in at 11th in MLB. Instead, they're currently 27th. Probably some room for improvement.
  8. The die is already cast. There's no value left for Ryan, Lopez or Buxton. Jeffers will walk. It's win or bust. The next season, whether it's in 2027 or 2028, will be about rehabbing Ryan and Lopez. If the team isn't above .500 at or near the deadline, they better sell and then tear this thing down to the foundation. Personally, I don't think it will matter. Cleveland isn't a great team, but they are truly competitive and competent. The Twins are neither, and that's a hard thing to fix in just one offseason. Especially on a team with more question marks than a Sherlock Holmes novel.
  9. This is a lovely idea, but how exactly does this seem to be working? Our "younger ones" don't seem to acclimate to the game all that well. The team's repeated collapses wouldn't suggest much of a boost in leadership. The Twins need to focus on the fundamentals of creating a winner. Then maybe we can start to hand out praise for the intangibles.
  10. This season has been yet another disaster. But any victory against the Yankees would be a cause for celebration.
  11. Persistent, resilient, feisty. The Twins think they play this kind of baseball. The Guardians just go out and play it.
  12. "'We’re just really lucky that a player of his talent is that committed to this team, particularly when in recent years, I don’t know that we’ve fully earned that level of loyalty and commitment,' Twins owner Tom Pohlad said." I remember reading this from Pohlad. I didn't get it then, and I don't get it now. The "loyalty and commitment" the Twins owe Buxton is the paycheck they promised him in the contract he signed. Twins management/coaching had never once said anything remotely disparagingly about Buxton's health and its impacts on the team. This fawning over a player who is seemingly too scared to play elsewhere strikes me as really, really odd. If Buxton is driven by a need for championship, then why hasn't he signaled a strong desire for a trade? And why would the Twins put a player at the center of their organization who isn't driven by a need for a championship? I like Buxton a lot. I don't think any of his injuries are personal failings. But I don't want the face of the Twins to be a loyal guy - I want him to be a fierce, able competitor. I think when you fawn all over a veteran who is simply never available in a stretch run, you run the risk of alienating your younger players. I think this is what soured Royce's attitude in 2024. Going forward, it's fine to tell Buxton he's valued here. But it's also fine to tell him he's no longer the de facto starting CF here.
  13. This is what I want to see at Target Field. This kind of energy for baseball. A whole lotta this.
  14. That's the problem. It didn't take hindsight to see that at least one or more of the pillars of this team - Lopez, Ryan, Buxton, Jeffers - were going to go down with fatigue or injury. That was pretty much a given, and the team had no contingency plan whatsoever. It just took an ability to take off the rose-colored glasses and see this roster for what it was: unsteady and unready for primetime. But no one in this organization has that ability.
  15. I was begging for a complete fire sale last offseason. There had never been a better opportunity to refresh this farm system and gear up for a strong window of contention. But that opportunity is gone now. You'd get nothing of value for Lopez or Ryan at this point. A-ball lottery tickets or a AAAA bust at best. Buxton is a massive question mark. Jeffers will walk for a compensation draft pick at best. "But that puts an awful lot of pressure on 2027." Exactly, Sam. If we want a shot at the playoffs, 2027 is the last chance for a long time to come. There are no impact arms in this system. Tom Pohlad needs to open the coffers in a massive way this offseason, and then tell the GM to have a very quick hook if this team falters before the deadline. I mean, eat salary and trade the new free agents for the best possible prospects. The margin of error is almost nonexistent. If 2027 is a bust, this team probably won't sniff a title until after Jenkins and Culpepper and this new rookie core are gone. 2026 was a risk, and failed risks are costly.
  16. Welcome to the show, Emmanuel. Come on over and give this team a jolt.
  17. Tom Pohlad is going to spend the entire offseason trying to convince season ticket holders that there was. If there's any silver lining in this terrible cloud of August/September, it's that it will be pretty hard to sell this snake oil to an exhausted fanbase.
  18. The revenue streams just aren't there. The Twins are not a draw. The team is wretched, and the ownership may be the dumbest in all of MLB now that the Angels have sold. Hardcore fans are put off by a legacy of terrible business decisions. Casual fans don't see anything cooking inside to draw them in. No All-Stars. No future Hall-of-Famers. No playoff buzz before or after 2023's little micro-push.
  19. 69-78. Is this "meaningful baseball" in September? Remember, Tom Pohlad said that payroll increases are contingent on being competitive in 2026. To earn a WC spot, the Twins probably need to go 13-2 or better. To get to .500, they need to go 12-3. To beat their Fangraphs preseason projection, they need to go 8-7 or better. To avoid last seasons record, they need to go 4-11 or better,
  20. Never "made himself an option"? Wasn't he injured? Are ERod's injuries personal shortcomings, but Buxton's aren't? I'm confused. The talent is clear. It's not like this team is winning anything. Seems like the kind of player a team consistently in the bottom third/quartile of MLB teams might want a good long look at.
  21. Minnesotans are smart. There's no reason to believe in this organization when this organization doesn't believe in winning. The team has been using the 26th roster spot for a human mascot. They're not taking any of this seriously, so why should we?
  22. Do any of those specials feature a new owner? Otherwise I'm not interested.
×
×
  • Create New...