Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

LastOnePicked

Verified Member
  • Posts

    1,959
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    10

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by LastOnePicked

  1. Well ... 90 losses legitimately isn't off the table yet, no.
  2. I have to agree with the folks who say this team is really trying. They're really trying my patience.
  3. Is it just me, or is there a lot of out of the zone swinging for this team?
  4. More than anything, I'm wishing Buck a successful surgery and a full recovery. He has years of being a father and a husband and a decent guy in the community ahead of him. Mobility and health are so important. I'd love to see him finish this contract strong and healthy and contributing to a winner. I don't know if it will happen, but I'm keeping a little hope for it.
  5. There are at least three or four Twin Cities kittens who have safely been returned from tree branches to solid ground thanks to AJ. You don't send that kind of selflessness down for something as trivial as a "crucial late-inning at-bat." No playoff spot is worth that kind of betrayal.
  6. Oh goodie. Now we're already laying the groundwork for rationalizing another top prospect lost for nothing. It's getting to the point where I'm rooting more for former Twins than the team itself. E-Rod, Jenkins, Culpepper, Sabato and a few others all should have had extended opportunities in a rebuild season. Instead, we're getting a 4th place finish with veterans.
  7. This comes up every time we even discuss the prospect of a coaching change. And the answer from me is always the same: No. That's way above my pay grade. I already have a full-time job. Tom Pohlad doesn't. That's his job, or at least it's his responsibility to hire the people who can do the legwork to create a list of candidates.
  8. Here's why my own biases kick in: I'd rather have Ober than Kremer. That could be a stupid take, but Ober still seems serviceable as a #5-6 starter. I think he's a smart pitcher, but I think his best days are long gone. Larnach joins Rooker, Kirilloff and possibly Martin as highly-touted OFs who, for whatever reason, couldn't put it all together here. That's a lot of misses on can't-miss prospects. The Royce Lewis story breaks my heart. I really like him as a ballplayer. I wish the Twins hadn't put him in CF after his first recovery. I think he needs to be somewhere else at this point. I hope he has a few great years yet, Someday I think he'll be a coach. The Twins will get nothing in return for him - another first-round pick transformed into zero pennants and zero recycled value. Every team has promising players who fizzle out. But for the Twins, these situations seem to happen too often.
  9. I see you're backsliding into the "bargaining" stage, Joe. This team can't even win 16 games out of 32,
  10. There is talk in MLB about expanding the playoffs again. Maybe each league will get to add in a special "Best Vibes" Wild Card spot. That would probably be the Twins' best chance for playoff baseball for awhile. But I'm not going to pick on Pablo Lopez. I'm glad he likes the clubhouse. Maybe he'll be a pitching coach here someday.
  11. It's not clickbait. It's the start of a good discussion. What would we rather talk about, this last Tigers series? No thank you.
  12. That's why struggling organizations need to make changes to find out. There are hundreds of coaches across MLB and MiLB who would love a chance to lead a big league squad. Some of those coaches have a pretty good understanding of how winning becomes sustainable and how top prospects can avoid getting stuck in their own head. It's not a bad idea to keep an eye out for a person who has these experiences and insights. Especially if your current manager only has experience with basement-dwelling, low-payroll organizations whose prospects flounder at MLB.
  13. Actually, I think he is. And this was a great article. But this team desperately needs to turn the page from having the likes of Willi Castro and Kody Clemens as the team MVP. On a competitive team, the team MVP should actually be getting league MVP votes.
  14. 2022's collapse deserves a shout-out, too. 62-55 turned into 78-84. Ultimately, who knows what's going on with this franchise. I just wish ownership had the curiosity to find out and the will to fix it. My guess is that too much emphasis keeps being placed on players with injury histories. Injuries are part of the awful "dumb luck" side of baseball, yes, but when season-derailing injuries keep happening to the same team, it suggests the cause is less a matter of luck and more an inability to draft, develop or sign players who can remain healthy for a full season. Maybe the Twins are so accustomed to shopping in the scratch-and-dent aisles that they don't pay close enough attention to warning signs of potential injury flare-ups. Maybe they rely too heavily on veterans who, by the time they arrive here and the calendar flips to August, are either marginal players or have a lotta soft-tissue scars. There's also no pressure or expectation to win here from ownership, the FO or the fans, but that's a discussion for another time.
  15. Go check the Target Field attendance for 2026. How's the Tom Pohlad approach working so far?
  16. Really?! Fans of any team that underperforms expectations and completely falls apart in the stretch run ought to at least ask this question. Protecting and dismissing failure is a pretty sure way to get more of it. I don't want Shelton fired at this point. But there's nothing inappropriate whatsoever about considering how safe his place is in the organization. There may be better options available, and the Twins desperately need to improve.
  17. 13-22 since August 1st. Worst in the AL. Can't score a run after the 4th inning. I hope people are joking about this "no quit" nonsense. They're still playing nine-inning games, yes. They generally seem to be trying to hit, pitch and catch. Those are minimum requirements for even just playing Town Ball.
  18. Sure, it was ugly. But just imagine how bad it would be if they weren't trying so hard to win. It's inspiring, really. C'mon, gang, let's finally shelve all the talk about this team's "effort" or "attitude" or "vibes." That meant nothing a month ago and it means even less now. Roster talent, player performance and the W/L columns are the only things that matter when it comes to a major league ballclub. I'm not worried one bit about Jenkins. I'm pleased with Culpepper's and Keaschall's bats. I'm pleased with Lee's improvement. I think Yoendrys Gómez is a great find. Otherwise, literally every other spot on the '27 team would be considered a question mark on a serious team. Time for ownership and the FO to get serious if they actually want to see butts in Target Field seats after the lockout. I'm not coming back for "vibes" or empty promises. Neither is the general audience of Minnesotans who still have no reason whatsoever to waste good money on the Twins.
  19. "As the Twins close out another disappointing season (though, at least, one that raised expectations" First, we have got to put an end to this fiction that the Twins have "exceeded expectations" this season. Even after the Lopez injury, the Twins were projected by FanGraphs and BP for 78.6 wins. They're going to have a very hard time acheiving even that low bar. Second, I don't get the sense that this is Shelton's fault. However, if I owned the Twins, I'd be at least curious about who else was available this offseason looking for an opportunity. If I got word that highly-regarded coaches from Cleveland or Los Angeles were looking for a chance to advance, I'd have no problem with making the switch. If 2027 is another tread water year, fine, bring Shelton back. But if full-scale organizational change is on the table, thank him and let him go as soon as possible. Nothing suggests that he's a genius with elevating the performance of post-hype prospects.
  20. But just imagine how bad it would be if they weren't giving such good effort.
  21. I told my Dad at Fan Appreciation Night in 1986 that the Twins would win the World Series the next year. He looked down at me like I had an until-then undiagnosed brain injury. Baseball is a funny game. And it's always a little better when you win.
×
×
  • Create New...