"'We’re just really lucky that a player of his talent is that committed to this team, particularly when in recent years, I don’t know that we’ve fully earned that level of loyalty and commitment,' Twins owner Tom Pohlad said."
I remember reading this from Pohlad. I didn't get it then, and I don't get it now.
The "loyalty and commitment" the Twins owe Buxton is the paycheck they promised him in the contract he signed. Twins management/coaching had never once said anything remotely disparagingly about Buxton's health and its impacts on the team. This fawning over a player who is seemingly too scared to play elsewhere strikes me as really, really odd. If Buxton is driven by a need for championship, then why hasn't he signaled a strong desire for a trade?
And why would the Twins put a player at the center of their organization who isn't driven by a need for a championship?
I like Buxton a lot. I don't think any of his injuries are personal failings. But I don't want the face of the Twins to be a loyal guy - I want him to be a fierce, able competitor. I think when you fawn all over a veteran who is simply never available in a stretch run, you run the risk of alienating your younger players. I think this is what soured Royce's attitude in 2024.
Going forward, it's fine to tell Buxton he's valued here. But it's also fine to tell him he's no longer the de facto starting CF here.