2wins87
Verified Member-
Posts
1,650 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
News
Minnesota Twins Videos
2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking
2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits
Guides & Resources
2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
The Minnesota Twins Players Project
2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker
2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses
Forums
Blogs
Events
Store
Downloads
Gallery
Everything posted by 2wins87
-
That's Rodriguez's 8th homer in just over 100 plate appearances. He's showing some serious power for such a young guy, though has also struck out a bit more than you'd like to see.
- 10 replies
-
- christian encarnacion-strand
- john stankiewicz
- (and 2 more)
-
Scouting Twins Prospects: Sawyer Gipson-Long
2wins87 replied to Lucas Seehafer PT's topic in Twins Minor League Talk
Thanks for the great article. I noticed his peripherals recently and remembered his name from being a second day draft pick, but it's good to get some recent scouting data. I wonder if he's a bit too in the zone which has lead to a bit higher batting averages against him than you might expect with the rest of his peripherals. If he's already got the command he can work on refining his approach in different counts and situations though. That slider looked perfectly placed to get hitters at any level though. We're starting to see a lot of potentially solid mid-rotation arms pop up from all over the system. It seems like developing those top of the rotation arms is still a challenge as always, but I definitely believe they've built up the depth to fill up the middle and back of the rotation with competent homegrown guys for years to come. Hopefully if the front office can stop needing to fill out the rotation in free agency they can get a couple top targets to build around. -
Fangraphs has a really good stats filter that lets you combine upper minors performance (AA and AAA) across all minor leaguers. Check it out here: https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&lg=2,4,5,6,7&stats=bat&qual=y&type=1&team=&season=2021&seasonEnd=2021&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=19,1 There's no one else who's still of prospect age and who's had enough plate appearances that has been any better than Miranda. I'm pretty excited about his future.
- 38 replies
-
- jose miranda
- keoni cavaco
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Does Jefferson Morales have a chance to stick behind the plate with decent defense? He played more in the outfield than behind the plate in Fort Myers, leading me to think they didn't think much about his defense at catcher. His two starts in the field in Cedar Rapids have been at catcher now though. I've only seen about an inning of him behind the plate. It looked like he moved pretty athletically, but I didn't see anything to indicate how good his overall receiving and blocking were. His overall stats suggest a guy that's very good at controlling the strike zone, with a bit of pop too. If he can be a decent catcher and maybe even add more power he seems like someone who should be getting a lot more attention.
-
I'm not sure I really do agree with this when it comes to AA and AAA stats. I think they get to be fairly projectable at that point it you are looking at the most predictive ones. There is obviously still variance, but particularly focusing on things like K%, BB%, and ISO, there aren't too many huge surprises, at least to the downside. My top predictor for hitters in the lower levels would be K rate anyway, and taking his whole career into account he's never had an issue there. I feel pretty comfortable projecting that he'll be at least a solid regular based off of this year. It's just hard to find counterexamples.
- 31 replies
-
- andrew albers
- austin martin
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
A little nit-picky but you have to use PA as the divisor for K%, not AB. Sabato has been striking out in the 30-40% range, not 40-50% as you say. Still not good in the lower levels, and I don't disagree with anything else you've said, but all of those walks affecting the K% calculation have also kept his overall performance from being truly awful.
- 31 replies
-
- andrew albers
- austin martin
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Minor League Report (7/28): Bombas Across the Board
2wins87 replied to David Youngs's topic in Twins Minor League Talk
I think the main knock on Miranda is that he'll provide minimal defensive value, but I think national evaluators will generally be a bit slow in acknowledging a breakout, even if he was reasonably well regarded early in his professional career. It hardly matters at this point though, he'll have his chance to prove it soon. I think an entirely statistically based approach will love his production this season though. The level of both power (ISO) and contact (K%) just aren't seen very often. And of course he just turned 23. I'm going to be very interested to see how ZiPS and some of the other projection systems treat him for next year. I'm still not entirely convinced on Wallner right now given his strikeout rates, though it's been better in the handful of games since returning from the IL. His left-handedness should give him a better chance of succeeding than a RHB with a similar profile though, and his raw power is undeniable.- 13 replies
-
- jose miranda
- matt wallner
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Good buy low pick. Seems like maybe he'll require a little bit of leftover money if he wants to rebuild his value and can leverage that. I like the idea in the 11th round though.
-
With the 61st Overall Pick the Twins Select Steven Hajjar
2wins87 replied to Andrew Thares's topic in Twins Minor League Talk
This front office definitely likes college pitchers with big frames, and he certainly fits that bill. They haven't been able to improve all of them, but we've seen some success with Winder being the prime example, and the potential is certainly there with Hajjar. I expect they will have drafted a few more pitchers that fit that description before the day is done. -
Hajjar at 61 seems to be fitting back into this regime's MO. Good pitching frame, one good secondary already, the coaching staff probably think they could add some velocity and will need to refine a third pitch.
-
What's the story on Cavaco's early exit? Hopefully nothing serious.
- 8 replies
-
- minnesota twins
- st paul saints
- (and 3 more)
-
I didn't see the whole start but it looked like they were having him throw a lot of sliders, especially early in counts, and he was having trouble getting strikes with them, leading him to fall behind a lot. He still needs to be able to get strikes with his third best pitch too, but I'm not too worried that he'll be able to throw strikes with his 4-seamer and "splinker" based on this start, or his previous starts where he was utilizing them a lot more.
-
Twins Daily Minor League Hitter of the Month - May 2021
2wins87 replied to Seth Stohs's topic in Twins Minor League Talk
He had a pretty solid August, and was really good in the playoffs for Pensacola despite not being called up until the last game of the regular season. Interestingly, he's been an absolute playoff monster in his minor league career, even going back to 2018 when he had a pretty rough regular season: https://www.milb.com/stats/florida-state/2018/postseason-cumulative I don't really think we should read too much into minor league playoff performance, though we can certainly include it the full picture of their yearly performance. Still he seems to have a knack for performing in big spots, evidenced again this week by his huge 2-run bomb against a pretty solid relief prospect who had Wichita down to their last out. I could see him really jumping on his first opportunity in the majors when that call eventually comes. He's really looking like a great overall hitter now after a few years of not quite living up to the potential that was there. -
Twins Minor League Report (5/25): Blowout Bonanza
2wins87 replied to Steve Lein's topic in Twins Minor League Talk
The craziest thing to me is Julien's 8 for 8 stealing bases. I wasn't under the impression that he had anything better than average speed. Is he faster than I thought or is he just picking spots really well?- 8 replies
-
- ryan jeffers
- brent rooker
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Twins Minor League Report (5/18): Enlow Sets Career High
2wins87 replied to Steve Lein's topic in Twins Minor League Talk
Not very excited about any of the three early round DH-type college bats (Rooker, Wallner, Sabato) taken by this front office right now. All of them strike out too much. We've seen Rooker get pretty exposed against MLB already. I have a hard time believing Wallner or Sabato will fare any better given the amount of swing and miss in A ball. -
The One Player Minnesota Shouldn’t Trade For
2wins87 replied to Ted Schwerzler 's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Yeah Lynn came in pissed about his off-season negotiations and never wanted to play for the Twins when they had him. No need to bring that energy back. Their pitching depth looks to be replenishing now anyway. Knock on wood they won't really need another arm in the rotation. -
I expect a minor move when Hill goes on the 60 day DL. Basically a small guarantee to a veteran pitcher, who will compete with Dobnak, Thorpe, Smeltzer, and Graterol during spring training, and may or may not make the 26 man roster when the season starts (and will be able to sign elsewhere if he does not). I think Falvey and Levine are comfortable relying on their development of rookies, though their MO during the last few years has been to add depth as a backup.
-
Yelich was already a very good player in Miami, this article understates his talent quite a bit. Here's an age by age comparison: Age 21: Yelich - 118 OPS+, 1.8 fWAR; Kepler - Minors Age 22: Yelich - 118 OPS+, 4,1 fWAR; Kepler - -34 OPS+, -0.1 fWAR Age 23: Yelich - 120 OPS+, 2.4 fWAR; Kepler - 93 OPS+, 1.3 fWAR Age 24: Yelich - 134 OPS+, 5.4 fWAR; Kepler - 94 OPS+, 1.5 fWAR Age 25: Yelich - 117 OPS+, 4.6 fWAR; Kepler - 98 OPS+, 2.7 fWAR Age 26: Yelich - 166 OPS+, 7.6 fWAR; Kepler - 121 OPS+, 4.4 fWAR The main difference is that Yelich has always hit the ball incredibly hard. Every year that statcast tracks he's been in the top 10% of the league for average exit velocity, usually in the top 5%. Kepler has never been in the top 10%. Not to rag on Kepler who became an excellent player last year, but he basically only reached the level of player that Yelich was in Miami, and I don't see how he reaches present day Yelich territory without increasing his exit velocity by several MPH or making some other drastic change in his contact rate and/or plate discipline, and I don't know how that happens.
-
Top Ten Twins Prospects of the Decade
2wins87 replied to Seth Stohs's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Biggest major league surprise has to be Polanco, who has been excellent despite never gaining much national recognition as a prospect. Biggest MLB bust is probably Meyer, though that was in large part due to injury. Jury is still out on Gordon and Stewart, though they are looking like busts too.- 20 replies
-
- miguel sano
- byron buxton
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Top Ten Twins Prospects of the Decade
2wins87 replied to Seth Stohs's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Kepler was only ranked in the national publications one year, and Gordon was ranked essentially just as high as Kepler's BA ranking by both mlb.com and BP at some point. Gordon was more highly regarded as a prospect for longer, maybe it was never correct but it was true. Gonsalves never really ranked very highly nationally, so I would probably bump him to the honorable mentions to put Graterol somewhere on this list, who will probably be ranked in the 30-50 range for the second consecutive year.- 20 replies
-
- miguel sano
- byron buxton
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Obviously depends on what the development staff thinks, but if there's any chance that he'll be better than Dobnak or Thorpe as a starter to begin the season, then they have to try that out. We already know Pineda will be out and the back of the rotation is still very unsettled. There is no reason to hold back at the beginning of the season because of an innings limit. If he is good enough to get the innings he could be a very good part of the bullpen after Pineda comes back and potentially be an injury replacement later in the season.
- 70 replies
-
- brusdar graterol
- rocco baldelli
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
It sounds like he's going to get a pretty good deal based on the number of teams interested, and that makes me think it won't be the Twins that sign him. I hope he gets paid and pitches reasonably well, but as I've learned more about ulcerative colitis I've realized that it's probably something that continues to come back to affect his pitching from time to time, and could affect his overall level also if he's not able to keep to his training regimen. I think there's going to be too much risk for the price he's going to get.
-
Front Page: Exploring Five Twins Extension Candidates
2wins87 replied to Cody Christie's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Berrios is probably the one where I might feel really motivated to get something done. I tend to think that his career is going to be fairly Radke-esk, but hopefully productive for longer. By which I mean, very good, de facto #1 starter on the team, but never quite getting to that national ace level as one of the best pitchers in the game. But I also tend to forget how young he still is given how many innings he's already pitched with the Twins. If they don't work out an extension, he's going to be just 28 when he does hit the free agent market in a couple of years (younger than anyone this year), in which case he'll be in line for a really big contract. Probably not necessarily the biggest AAV, but some team might easily think about going in on an 8 year deal for him. It'd be nice to be able to lock him up for a few of those years where he's still in the middle of his prime, but it will probably also incentivise his side to drive a hard bargain, so I don't see them getting as incredible deals as they did for Kepler and Polanco.

