Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Oldgoat_MN

Verified Member
  • Posts

    2,437
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Oldgoat_MN

  1. We have Hughes, Nolasco, May and Gibson in the starting rotation next year. Pelfrey, Milone, Meyer and the one or two #5 pitchers Terry Ryan signs in the off-season will be competing for the #5 spot. My guess is.... I got nothin'.
  2. I think we've all had high hopes for May. This is really good news. It is only one game, but it gives a glimpse of what this kid may be able to bring to the table. Nice write-up. Thanks
  3. I think that to expect Milone to be part of a quality rotation is unrealistic. If you look at his WHIP, FIP and SO/9 they are all pretty weak numbers. Meyer and ... somebody... Don't really know what to expect of Nolasco. He was league average the last couple of years in the NL. As with most pitchers who leave a team and come to the Twins and work with Anderson, his strikeout rate is down. Maybe he will bounce back. We all hope so, but realize that 'bounce back' would be to league average. While we are busy hoping, maybe Pelfrey will come back and be healthy and effective, too. We can all hope for unusually good years. That seems to be what Terry Ryan does.
  4. I appreciate the article, Jim Crikket. I cannot see how the Twins can 'stay the course'. Last time they changed things up a bit in the coaching staff they clearly simply took out scapegoats. Anderson and Vavra (and Ullger) remain. I like that Bruno seems to be having some success, but it is probably too soon to say for sure. He certainly has earned the right to keep his job. Don't see any such evidence from our starting rotation. Hughes is such an aberration to the norm that he really stands out as a pitcher who has gotten better, seemingly in spite of working with Anderson. I really believe that the Pohlads want to win. I also believe that they need to make some uncomfortable changes to make that happen.
  5. Nice write-up Stringer Bell. Hard to argue with any of it. I believe the right handed hitters coming are supposed to include Buxton and Sano. A year or so ago we all were hoping they'd be on the team this September if not before. Doesn't always go like we want it to. As far as the rotation, the Twins have to sign someone who is actually expected to be really good, rather than some pitchers we hope can put together a career year. Low risk/low reward is the way of Terry Ryan, however, and I have little faith that this will change. Something you really have to give Tom Kelly - the team had the fundamentals down. We miss that. It is sometimes very costly not to have that part of the game working. I'd be OK with changing out Gardy, but Anderson has got to go. This is just ridiculous. He couldn't strike anyone out when he was a pitcher and apparently cannot teach others to do it either. He's had a long run. Let's try someone else there. Alas, what might the off-season bring?
  6. Part of the problem is that Ryan signs a guy like Nolasco for more $ per year than Kazmir signed for, and to a longer contract. Better pitchers would help. Signing someone who is likely to be an excellent, above average pitcher would help. (rather than hoping for lightening to strike) That said, Anderson has too much history of pitchers coming here and doing worse or leaving the Twins and doing better. jokin had an excellent post on that about a year ago. Bottom line for me: I appreciate loyalty, but Gardy's loyalty to Anderson exceeds his loyalty to the Pohlads or to the Twins fan base. Anderson has to go. If Gardy leaves because of it, so be it. * if Gardy leaves because of it a lot of teams would think twice about hiring him as their manager
  7. I'll be on that list, the one where we think this kid is going to be fine. Hang in there Trevor!
  8. I'd like to throw a word in for Eduardo Escobar, Danny Santana and Brian Dozier being in the 'quietly solid' bin. Santana and Escobar will take a year to see what they can really do, but Dozier has shown that we can expect him to be solid without being accused of being overly optimistic. And Plouffe has been in the upper third of MLB 3B pretty much all year in both offence and defense. Been a while since we had one of those.
  9. Pryor has a career SO/9 of 9.8. Bet Anderson can bring that down. So, they got Pryor just for the challenge he presents!
  10. Thank you Nick. These are good highlights. The Twins had won only 3 of their last 14 games until taking the last 3 from Seattle. The optimistic points you bring up are helpful to my heart.
  11. As it looks to be another lost season, this makes some sense. Just don't trade him for nothing. I would like to see them get a guy who may be a higher risk but has a high ceiling rather than worrying about his floor. Way too much of that goes on in this organization. For example, our GM's risk aversion has us starting Nolasco rather than Kazmir, though Kazmir's was the cheaper and more short term contract.
  12. Very optimistic about this kid. I hope that everything he puts in his mouth has to be OKed by Twins trainers. One more drug suspension and he will need to be Willie Mays to have anyone look at him. Nice write-up. Thanks
  13. A nice precis of our team. Most players feel they are demoted too soon, even if the fans have been calling for their demotion for some time. Most of them have a ton of confidence and have succeeded at every level. You kind of have to get that to understand that these guys get a long leash so they actually understand that they have things to work on. While our AAA pitching staff is really doing well it is not certain that they are all going to show up in MLB and be lights out. I'm sure that we can improve our team. No one, including anyone on TD or employed by the Twins, knows the best way to do that. Nonetheless, I join many others in being very optimistic about our future. Bottom line - expect some cautious moves. Progression does not have to mean a total roster flip. That, in fact, would be reactionary.
  14. Nice article. 100+ fastball. Hmmm... Thanks
  15. I spent part of the winter claiming on these posts that we should not spend a fortune on Stephen Drew after his career year, but give Escobar a chance. He had, in 2013, gone back to AAA and really picked up his hitting. He's my guy this year. Really happy that he's doing so well. Gotta love Arcia, too.
  16. Oh Sconnie... You had me up to 'Mark Walberg'. I'll write his name in, though. (Colabello's, not Wahlberg's)
  17. A lot to smile about for now. I'll take it.
  18. Nice breakdown. It would be great if Plouffe and Dozier can continue to hit RH pitching. Really did not expect what we're getting from Plouffe. Very nice to see.
  19. Oldgoat_MN

    Trevor Plouffe 2.0?

    I think this is the start of a new Trevor Plouffe – one that should be a building block for the Twins in the coming years. Man I hope so. Really fun to see this former #1 draft pick looking like he belongs.
  20. In the unlikely event the starting rotation all pitch 8 innings and he is not needed... um, never mind
  21. Nice write-up, Jorgenswest. Very few teams make significant improvements without getting younger. In the past couple of decades only the Yankees have had the money to have a team of aging players who are good enough to be in a HOF conversation. The other teams get better by getting new blood in the lineup. p.s. Earl Battey was a favorite of mine, too
  22. It appears that 2011 was a career year for him in MiLB and MLB. Sadly, he's had nothing like it before or since. Good luck to him, but he has no business on an MLB roster until he gets something figured out. And that something needs to look like it did in 2011.
  23. Do not underestimate Arcia's arm. I read once that Hicks said Arcia has a great arm. Also, Sano has a cannon. Almost certainly better than Mauer. If Sano cannot stick at 3B they'd likely move him to RF. That said, Mauer would probably be an upgrade in LF. It will be interesting to see what happens, but I suspect he will play 1B until he retires.
  24. Apparently this formula is highly regarded: 1. Acquire many, many average arms. 2. Hope one of them shocks you with how good he suddenly is.
  25. It is a good place to start, as I'm sure you'll get debates coming in the future. I think your slash line of .315/.410/.470 is intriguing. Will his OBP go up even if he isn't catching and seeing exactly how the umpire is calling the strikes? Will his SLG fall a little bit? However you get there, I'd be very happy with a OPS of .880 again this year!
×
×
  • Create New...