Oldgoat_MN
Verified Member-
Posts
2,437 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
News
Minnesota Twins Videos
2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking
2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits
Guides & Resources
2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
The Minnesota Twins Players Project
2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker
2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses
Forums
Blogs
Events
Store
Downloads
Gallery
Everything posted by Oldgoat_MN
-
Article: Twins Add Six Players To 40-Man Roster
Oldgoat_MN replied to Seth Stohs's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Robbie is hard on electronics.- 48 replies
-
- fernando romero
- mitch garver
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: REPORT: Twins To Sign Jason Castro
Oldgoat_MN replied to Parker Hageman's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Coming into the off-season everyone is concerned with the pitching staff. Too many ignored the weakness the Twins have at the catcher position. The Twins have addressed this in a way that should help the pitching staff. That looks like a win to me.- 223 replies
-
- jason castro
- free agent
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Twins Add Six Players To 40-Man Roster
Oldgoat_MN replied to Seth Stohs's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
So I looked up his fielding numbers on FanGraphs. Valid points...- 48 replies
-
- fernando romero
- mitch garver
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Twins Add Six Players To 40-Man Roster
Oldgoat_MN replied to Seth Stohs's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I haven't been flamed for a while, so I'll see what this inspires... 1. I do not understand why so many are fine with letting Grossman go. Is he pretty at the plate or in the field? No, but he had the highest OBP on the team. I would expect a site based on analytics would appreciate that. 2. Jason Wheeler and DJ Baxendale are 25 years old, but they both had better numbers in AAA than Albers or Dean. Lower WHIP, higher SO rates and better SO/BB rates. Not that a team should measure a pitcher's MLB potential on Albers and Dean, but our new FO must see some pitching potential that the last members of the FO missed.- 48 replies
-
- fernando romero
- mitch garver
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Non-tendering a guy like Santiago is how you wind up with guys like Albers and Dean pitching MLB ballgames for you. I wouldn't do it. I also would not be so anxious to let Centeno go. You are going with Garver, but he has never caught a major league game. I would rather he earn the position rather than be handed it. Grossman may have had his career year with the Twins. That said, he led the team in OBP. Cannot imagine why you would let that guy just walk away. And if you trade him you need not replace him with a CF. Besides Buxton, both Rosario and Kepler played a lot of CF in the minors and either can handle it (if) when Buxton gets days off. Lots of interesting things to think about. Thanks for the article!
-
Maybe after I'm gone. Until then you might be the second to last.
- 53 replies
-
- minnesota twins
- rumors
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
I appreciate the desire for a strong, consistent presence at SS. I also believe that our dire needs at SP and catching are so huge that we can expect Polanco and Escobar to provide reasonably good defense and an actual threat, of sorts, at the plate that SS will not be anywhere near Falvey's initial focus. Escobar and Polanco. They will be above adequate, which is more than can be said for our current SP & catching positions.
-
2017 Minnesota Twins Top 15 Prospects
Oldgoat_MN commented on Ted Schwerzler 's blog entry in Off The Baggy
I understand bringing some pitchers along slowly if that is what's best for them. However, based on the SO/9 and WHIPs that Gonsalves and Romero are posting I would really like to see each of them pushed up a level to start 2017. Gonsalves to AAA, Romero to AA. See what they can do. -
Article: Early 2017 Draft Prospects
Oldgoat_MN replied to Jeremy Nygaard's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
In 2006 the Dodgers drafted a kid out of High School named Clayton Kershaw. He spent 220 innings in the minors before throwing 107 innings in MLB for the Dodgers in 2008. Strasburg was drafted in 2009. In 2012 he threw 159 innings in MLB. They are not all Kershaws or Strasburgs, of course. But neither are they all Kohl Stewarts. If Green has the right work ethic and talent, draft the kid.- 69 replies
-
- hunter greene
- alex faedo
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: What Are Molitor's Infields Telling Us?
Oldgoat_MN replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Not soon enough.- 61 replies
-
- jorge polanco
- eduardo escobar
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: What Are Molitor's Infields Telling Us?
Oldgoat_MN replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I believe that the fact that Logan Schafer has played in 12 games from Aug. 29 through Sept. 11 suggests that the future is not what Molitor is looking at. Why would the infield be different?- 61 replies
-
- jorge polanco
- eduardo escobar
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Hopefully they see what he has before the 'fix' a 'flaw' in his mechanics.
- 53 replies
-
- alex wimmers
- jose berrios
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Jorge Polanco May Be What's Wrong With Minnesota
Oldgoat_MN commented on Ted Schwerzler 's blog entry in Off The Baggy
I'm typically a pretty patient person, but I just cannot say enough bad things about the way Polanco has been handled. The handling of Polanco, Kepler and Meyer, along with losing Hicks (the catcher who is OPSing over .800 in AAA MiLB) was largely why I felt TR had to go and (other than the John Hicks event) part of why I think Molitor is clearly a poor coach. Does anybody in Twins management look out to the future even as far as next year? If so, there is little evidence. -
Other GMs are almost certainly testing Antony. I suspect he is getting low level offers while these other GMs test him to see if he'll be easy to steal from. I'm not a fan of inactivity, but I would rather he make wise moves than rash ones.
-
Article: Where Should Jorge Polanco Play?
Oldgoat_MN replied to Seth Stohs's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
With absolutely no evidence to support it, I am going to pretend that the MLB club has some influence on their farm teams. This would suggest that all have agreed that Polanco is not a SS and we should stop pretending that he is. Now, if we believe that he is not good enough to play SS in AAA but is good enough at the MLB level then our new GM has a great deal of work to do.- 118 replies
-
- jorge polanco
- miguel sano
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Where Should Jorge Polanco Play?
Oldgoat_MN replied to Seth Stohs's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
No.- 118 replies
-
- jorge polanco
- miguel sano
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Der Schlager Kepler Keeps Climbing
Oldgoat_MN replied to Seth Stohs's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Awesome! Perhaps you'd be kind enough to adopt Byron Buxton next. Please?- 49 replies
-
- mike blowers
- ron gardenhire
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Rob Antony's Audition
Oldgoat_MN replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I was with you until the last paragraph. Would you have simply hired someone immediately? Antony knows the game. He will not ruin his future in MLB by making foolish changes and trades. I think having Antony take the reins for a couple of months while they try to find the best possible candidate is the smart business move and the smart baseball move. -
Top five unbreakable baseball records (since 1930)
Oldgoat_MN commented on Jonathon Zenk's blog entry in Talkin' Twins with Jonathon
Dimaggio's record seems the most improbable. An incredible streak. Oddly enough, Ted Williams actually had a higher BA during DiMaggio's streak than DiMaggoi did. Also, Dimaggio won the MVP that year, even though Williams had a higher BA, OBP and SLG. To further display how badly Williams was overlooked for DiMaggio, it was also the last time someone would hit over .400 for 74 years and counting. Ripkin's record should never be broken. Nothing against Ripken, but it really wasn't the best thing for his team for him to never get a day off. The Front Office decided to let Ripken set that record, probably to the detriment of their star player's performance.- 4 comments
-
- nolan ryan
- hack wilson
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Twins Must Clear Infield Logjam Quickly
Oldgoat_MN replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
It is so simple to say that we could put Polanco at SS, but he doesn't play there, even in AAA. As anxious as I am to see him get a prolonged opportunity, it will be at 2B if it ever comes with the Twins. That reminds us, class, that we have two players who can play reasonably well at SS. Escobar has proven to be an above average SS. Nunez is slightly below average, but not nearly as bad as he is portrayed on these pages. So you want to trade Nunez and Escobar and put Polance at SS where his arm is not considered strong enough to play SS in AAA? Plus, he would then be our only SS. I'm optimistic about this young man, but not foolish. Roster management, people! Think ahead. Who is the SS? Who is the backup? P.S. This is the Rochester Red Wings roster. Do you even see anyone listed as a shortstop?- 64 replies
-
- eduardo escobar
- eduardo nunez
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
What's With This Plating Thing?
Oldgoat_MN commented on Dave The Dastardly's blog entry in Dave The Dastardly's Blog
So I guess if Twins batters “plated” a baserunner, it means they coated him with something; gold, bronze, cheap veneer, liquid horse manure? This explains so much! -
Article: Trade Eduardo Nunez: Would You?
Oldgoat_MN replied to Jeremy Nygaard's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Nunez has gotten better at fielding every year, pretty much. He's not league average at SS, but he isn't the two mittened pussycat that the Yankees let go. He is solidly at a point that his bat more than makes up for his fielding deficiencies. A team that has playoff hopes knows to go after the hot hand, and that is Nunez. Personally, I'd be sorry to see him go. As Brock says, he's likely not a .900 OPS guy, but he's gotten better each of the last three years and has been a fun distraction for us this year. -
Trevor Plouffe, Eddie Rosario, and When to Steal Third
Oldgoat_MN commented on Hosken Bombo Disco's blog entry in Hosken's Blog
I think the evidence is there in the season. Molitor wants his players to be aggressive on the basepaths. Rosario was aggressive. He was also successful. A reasonable throw would have made Plouffe's steal attempt unsuccessful. I don't disagree with Rosario going down to AAA to get his hitting back on track, but Molitor's annoyance over Rosario's steal seems personal. Eddie was being exactly the kind of Twins baserunner that Molitor seems to want. (only from D. Santana, I guess)- 4 comments
-
- eddie rosario
- trevor plouffe
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:

