Oldgoat_MN
Verified Member-
Posts
2,437 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
News
Minnesota Twins Videos
2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking
2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits
Guides & Resources
2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
The Minnesota Twins Players Project
2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker
2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses
Forums
Blogs
Events
Store
Downloads
Gallery
Everything posted by Oldgoat_MN
-
2017 Twins Off-Season top 60 Prospect List: 51-55
Oldgoat_MN commented on Thrylos's blog entry in Thrylos' Blog - select Tenth Inning Stretch posts
I have to believe we will either see Wheeler this year or he will be released. At 26 years old it is probably time to see if he can get through an MLB lineup or move along and use his roster spot on someone younger. -
I had never heard of the BPro Luck Index. Fun stuff. If anyone else is new to it (only me?) here is Part 1 and Part 2. One thing this does NOT take into account is the manager having one of your best hitters bunt a runner to second base when you are down by one run in the FOURTH INNING! How much luck would you need to overcome managerial decision like that?
-
Man mikelink45, I really wanted to LIKE this, but I just can't do it. Pitching wins games, you are right. More correctly, pitching gives you an opportunity to win games. If the Twins were holding out for Bellinger then they are being foolish. Not because Bellinger would not be helpful, but because Bellinger is an intricate part of the Dodgers future plans. If you grasp that then you need to be respectful in your demands. I don't think asking for more than De Leon is inappropriate. Even if it's just Mitchell White. Put he and John Curtiss together and see if one pans out, If they both pan out we have two excellent starters in 3 or 4 years. Cannot quite go for the 1:1.
-
New Front Office Has Two Futures In The Air
Oldgoat_MN commented on Ted Schwerzler 's blog entry in Off The Baggy
Well, this was exhausting, but here's what I did... Went back to check the game logs for August, 2016, that Vargas played in. There was not a single game that Vargas played in where the opponent started a LH pitcher. One of the few times he faces a LH pitcher was in Atlanta against Ian Krol. The Braves elected to intentionally walk him. If this isn't an indictment of Molitor's lineup savvy I can't imagine what would be. -
New Front Office Has Two Futures In The Air
Oldgoat_MN commented on Ted Schwerzler 's blog entry in Off The Baggy
Escobar can play LF in an emergency. Granite, Palka or Shuck (all on the 40-man) can be here the next day. -
New Front Office Has Two Futures In The Air
Oldgoat_MN commented on Ted Schwerzler 's blog entry in Off The Baggy
I'm a little surprised that you used names like Vargas (.833 OPS in 2016) and Boshers (9.3 SO/9, 1.167 WHIP, 2.84 FIP) in the same sentence as DanSan. While we cannot know how their futures will play out, the first two clearly have displayed MLB talent. DanSan is a talented young man, but not sure he is really MLB material. -
Granite needs time in AAA. If he can put up the kind of numbers in AAA he put up in AA he will move ahead of Palka unless Palka can do something to cut down his Ks and up his OBP. I have high hopes for Shaggy. I expect him to be a strong member of the BP. Is Taylor Rogers definitely moved to the BP for good? He started 27 games in AAA in 2015 but then only 2 last year before being called up. Have they decided he cannot be a MLB SP? EDIT: Never mind - I see that Rogers' WHIP dropped significantly and his Ks went way up after moving to the BP. Hope he can keep it up or even improve.
- 20 replies
-
- max kepler
- byron buxton
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
I have no angst toward Gibson, but am more bewildered by the angst toward Santiago. Santiago is younger than Gibson (by like, 55 days). Santiago has had 3 years where his ERA+ was higher than Gibson's career high. Santiago's ERA+ was higher than Gibson's ERA+ was for 2016. Santiago started off with 4 bad games with the Twins. Of his last 7 games, 5 were outstanding. Even counting his Twins stats, Santiago had a lower WHIP and higher SO/9 than Gibson. Good/average pitchers are expensive. It is not going to break the Twins financially if they have to pay Santiago $8M. EDIT: I LIED! Santiago has had 2 years where his ERA+ was higher than Gibson' career high (106). Another year Santiago had an ERA+ of 105. Sorry!
- 27 replies
-
- hector santiago
- kyle gibson
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
What does a successful off-season look like?
Oldgoat_MN commented on Loosey's blog entry in Blog Loosey
There is still time for something to happen, but I don't see it. Most teams do not wait until after their player have bought plane tickets to ST to make trades. Pretty much an 'assessment' year, it appears. -
Niko Goodrum is already 24 years old and there is absolutely no one in AAA good enough to block him. If Dozier, Polanco or Escobar go down to injury I can see Goodrum being the replacement. No offense to Reginatto, Gonzalez, Field or Hague, but I don't see any of them lighting things up at the plate. Niko has a pretty clear path if they need an infielder.
- 20 replies
-
- max kepler
- byron buxton
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
I don't think I'd be a fan of signing him even if it didn't cost a draft pick. The draft pick (#35 or so) is not likely to ever make the MLB squad, but I still wouldn't give it up. This team is due to strike it rich in the draft some year. I'm hoping it's this year.
- 41 replies
-
- jose bautista
- brian dozier
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Two Twins On The Outside Looking In
Oldgoat_MN commented on Ted Schwerzler 's blog entry in Off The Baggy
Not really sure that Santana would get picked up by another team. He has 2 years of poor play in the last 2. Difficult to see the upside. Completely agree with enge0280. I too have written that Mauer and Vargas should platoon at 1B. One of the reasons is that Mauer's splits are showing he is more vulnerable to LH pitching than he used to be. At this point in his career we are much better off letting Mauer face RH pitchers and having Vargas play when the other team is starting a LH pitcher. -
Article: Other Offseason Shopping Needs
Oldgoat_MN replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I looked it up on Baseball-Reference and FanGraphs, only to confirm that you are right. He was incredibly bad in CF in 2013, but Buxton, Rosario and Kepler can all play CF. For some reason Grossman was unusually terrible in 2016. Seems that his 2014 stats and his 2015 stats are passable. In fact in 2014 he was a slightly plus OF in 865 innings. -
Article: Other Offseason Shopping Needs
Oldgoat_MN replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Robbie Grossman let the team in OBP. I like that and have used it as a reason to keep him. However... The problem is that neither Rosario or Kepler are sure to be MLB average hitters. Buxton may or may not be, but his elite CF will keep him in the lineup unless he is very, very bad at the plate. When looking to rest outfielders occasionally it makes it difficult if your 4th OF is a complete disaster as a fielder. This is an issue, and one I cannot reconcile. Tough decision to be made. Let your team leader in OBP walk away? Vargas is a very good hitter against LH pitching (.800 OPS in 2016). He and Mauer need to platoon. Sadly, I don't see Molitor doing that. -
Twins Blueprint Hinges On Dozier Deal
Oldgoat_MN commented on Ted Schwerzler 's blog entry in Off The Baggy
No question Dozier should be traded for some starting pitching help. Our cupboard is bare. It just does not appear that his excellent year came at a great time. The only teams that both are competing for a championship and could really use a lot of help at 2B are the Giants, who have nothing in their minor leagues, the Angels, who have less than the Giants in their minor leagues, and the Dodgers. My opinion of 'enough' is almost certainly different than Falvey/Levine, but even I would pass if it is a 1:1 trade for De Leon. Without a proven MLB track record no pitcher is a 'sure thing'. -
Polanco is not going to hit like Dozier, but evidence suggest he will be a solid MI. I don't agree that we have a 'lot' of SP coming up. We have Gonsalves (in AA last season), Romero (spent last season in A and A+), Tyler Jay (83 innings mostly in A+, some in AA) and Mejia. It is a long shot to think that most of them will all be solid MLB pitchers, as it is to think anyone else we have in A ball or above will ever contribute. We have a few potential position players, but this organization is weak, and especially in pitching.
- 49 replies
-
- brian dozier
- miguel sano
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Other Offseason Shopping Needs
Oldgoat_MN replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Vargas has a huge split difference against RH and LH pitchers. That is true in both last season and his career splits. He absolutely rakes against LH pitching and hits downright poorly against RH pitching. Mauer's career splits show that he's better against RH pitching. That was especially true last year. It appears that he is not as balanced against same siders as he once was. A platoon of Mauer/Vargas at first is so obvious that I have to believe the Twins are seeing it, though I did not notice Molitor using such a platoon late in the year. Why hasn't this already been happening? -
Article: What's Holding Up The Dozier Trade?
Oldgoat_MN replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Ryan Braun? The guy who is owed $80 million over the next 4 years? Well, of the teams that can afford it, your team is certainly one. -
Article: Running Down The Hall (Of Fame Ballot)
Oldgoat_MN replied to Cody Christie's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Well if I actually look I can see that Mussina is on his 4th ballot and Schilling on his 5th. Got it. Thanks- 114 replies
-
- barry bonds
- jeff bagwell
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Running Down The Hall (Of Fame Ballot)
Oldgoat_MN replied to Cody Christie's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I'm not sure that they shouldn't be in. I just think it's odd that they are getting so much first ballot attention, based on the recent history of one particular pitcher who was clearly better than either of them.- 114 replies
-
- barry bonds
- jeff bagwell
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Will The Real Sano Please Stand Up
Oldgoat_MN commented on Ted Schwerzler 's blog entry in Off The Baggy
When David Ortiz went to the Red Sox until he was 38 years old the Red Sox got greater than .800 OPS (and several times >.900 OPS) from their 1B every single year except one. With that kind of production it made sense to keep Big Papi at DH. The Twins do not have that coming from 1B unless we see if from Vargas again or Park steps up. Right now I would really hope he works hard at 3B because I believe he can be adequate there. If he wants to be. It would make the whole team better. -
Twins Enter 2017 Ignoring Conventional Wisdom
Oldgoat_MN commented on Ted Schwerzler 's blog entry in Off The Baggy
Perkins is a wonderful story and has been a great Twin. However, he should have been traded after the 2013 season. After 3 terrible, 96+ loss years the FO should have realized that an elite closer on a very bad team is an unnecessary luxury. Even if he never fully recovers I certainly appreciate how hard he worked and love his attitude. Perhaps a career behind the mic after baseball? -
Article: Running Down The Hall (Of Fame Ballot)
Oldgoat_MN replied to Cody Christie's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Some of these are good arguments. The winning %, however, does not. Mussina had superior run support. I also don't think 'stuck around a long time' MLB is a very strong argument against, as players are not paid if they are not delivering MLB talent (present Twins team excepted). My point is not who is in that shouldn't be, but trying to figure how Blyleven could be on the ballot 14 years and someone like Mussina should get in on the first ballot (other than Blyleven is kind of a jerk to people). I cannot see how this occurs as a slam dunk other than him having played for the Yankees. BTW: Blyleven had career WAR of 96.5.- 114 replies
-
- barry bonds
- jeff bagwell
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Running Down The Hall (Of Fame Ballot)
Oldgoat_MN replied to Cody Christie's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I cannot see Mussina or Schilling in the HOF. It took Blyleven, who had the 3rd highest strikeout total in the history of baseball upon his retirement, until the last year of eligibility to get in. His career FIP was 3.19. Mussina's was 3.57. Shilling's was 3.23. They both had fewer wins than Blyleven. I know that in these Sabermetric times we should look past wins, but it has always come into play. And if we are doing that, then we should realize that if Mike Mussina had played for the Kansas City Royals his name would not even be in this conversation. Tim Raines will finally get in, and I am happy for him.- 114 replies
-
- barry bonds
- jeff bagwell
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:

