Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Oldgoat_MN

Verified Member
  • Posts

    2,437
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Oldgoat_MN

  1. I am starting to wonder if the reports that the Twins were offered De Leon only for Dozier might be right. If that is true the new Twins FO would look weak by taking that trade. They cannot afford that for themselves or for the Twins. Alas... Perhaps I'll just watch Brian Dozier batting leadoff (a ridiculous lineup construction) and enjoy him.
  2. Someone pointed out late in the season that Michael Tonkin had been well suited to a one inning role. That was not how he was used. I wish I could find that post, but it was backed up with some good data. The bullpen was badly managed. Is that on Molly or Allen?
  3. I too have wondered how we could help the Dodgers provide us with a more appealing package. I've thought that taking on some salary might be a good way to get there, but I also wonder at times whether LA even cares about money. Maybe they print it themselves and the luxury tax means nothing to them. If money does have some impact then taking on Kazmir's contract might make a difference in what is available to us.
  4. What about Jorge Polanco for Jose De Leon, more or less straight up? I cannot believe LA would do that. Polanco is not the big bat in general or the huge bat against LH pitching that Dozier is.
  5. On paper the Rondell White signing looked so very promising. The guy had just finished a season where he had an .837 OPS in 400 PA! I was pretty stoked about the signing. And, of course, damn disappointed in how it worked out. (though probably not as disappointed as Rondell White)
  6. He did. Vargas had a .833 OPS to Sano's .781 OPS. (Almost) no team in baseball would think Vargas had an inferior year.
  7. Very impressive start. I get that's he's 22 in A ball, but a .393 OBP? That looks promising. Hopefully the Twins will push him along and we can see how he performs against more challenging pitching. Go Brandon!
  8. Of the rest, Ramos leads the group with career 9.9 WAR (Baseball-Reference). But that's OK. We got 2 months of Matt Capps for him. (then we were able to sign him for another year!)
  9. Really appreciate your thoughts on the subject. I would be inclined to see if we could get a SS or C from AA who looks promising. I don't any team is going to give up a potential ace for Santana.
  10. I'm old enough to know how to play bridge, but too young to have any friends who know how to play. Bummer...
  11. Twins top prospects – 2010 (Pitchers only) 3. Kyle Gibson 5. Adrian Salcedo 6. Billy Bullock 11. Carlos Gutierrez 13. David Bromberg 14. B.J. Hermsen 15. Ben Tootle 16. Anthony Slama 17. Matt Bashore 18. Tom Stuifbergen 19. Jeff Manship, 20. Tyler Robertson Hopefully the current crew will outpace the 2010 SP prospects. edit: source - Not the cheeriest read, but I felt I should note where I got this from.
  12. I think this is a very valid point, however, I cannot believe Byron Buxton will ever be Delmon Young. (I understand it was basically a suggestion that we be cautionary).
  13. Come on Thrylos! We know who you watch. Where's Niko Goodrum?
  14. I agree with this article completely. Dozier is an excellent player, but he is only worth what you can get for him. He is not going to make us relevant this year. I really appreciate the player and person he is, but we need to get what pitching we can get for him and move forward.
  15. Not enough patience. I remember how happy I was for him when he won the NL Batting title the next year. That was fun to see for Justin!
  16. I believe the Twins FO has used some questionable practices. Drafting tall pitchers because they would have better success (never mind that Johan Santana was only 6'0" tall). Drafting relief pitchers out of college with the intention of them becoming starting rotation pitchers (don't know how fully they employed this strategy, but I am not a fan). I mean, I get they are thinking outside the box, but it feels like there is a reason no one else is doing those things.
  17. I won't, but someone has to take the blame for your spelling.
  18. Haha! That's a good one on me! I meant to write that Toronto is south of Minneapolis. Completely mis-wrote that! As for the other part... Seattle catchers keep their hands in their pockets? Isn't that dangerous?
  19. I had a vendor out of Toronto. Several of them kept referring to how cold it was in Canada. I finally explained to them that Minneapolis is south of Toronto. Someone there had to look it up before they believed me.
  20. Don't quite understand the Santiago hate here. His numbers are better than Gibson's over the last 3 years. He had a bad August for the Twins followed by a good September.
  21. The new guys have to do something, and probably in their way of thinking, something big. The way to do that is to trade Dozier. This will show the team owners and fans that they intend to shake things up. After the last 6 seasons everyone should think that is an excellent idea. I see very little chance of Dozier not being traded. It is interesting that the Dodgers are the only team that has really even been hinted. People mention the Yankees, but they have to be hoping for a bounce-back from Starlin Castro, as this was the first year of a 7 year, $60 million contract. You don't just walk away from that because of one bad year. I expect them to trade Brian Dozier. I just hope they make it count.
  22. Interesting to note that Garver may wind up being envious of Turner. Good luck to both.
  23. I am cautiously optimistic about Mejia. Gonsalves had a great year, but he has pitched only 72 innings in AA. Tyler Jay may be coming along, but a 5.79 ERA and 5.8 SO/9 in AA does not scream "BRING HIM UP". DJ Baxendale (in AAA) had better numbers than either of them in WHIP and SO/9 and he was left open to the Rule 5 draft. If either of them perform at a level that insists they be promoted to MLB it will be up to the FO as to whether they are being 'blocked'. And it may be that a dis-functioning Gibson is more is more likely to be set aside than a career average Hector Santiago. I still believe Santiago should be tendered a contract. ** my bad. SSS for Jay in AA. He was excellent in A+ this year.
  24. I believe they will all be tendered contracts and I believe they should be tendered contracts. I know some will say we should let go of Santiago, but he has been an above average pitcher from 2011 through 2015 and our depth just took a potential hit as we leave Baxendale and Wheeler open to the Rule 5 draft. I know Hector is not a top of the rotation pitcher, but let's not forget our Voltaire ("The perfect is the enemy of the good"). Letting guys like Santiago go is how a team winds up with guys like Albers and Dean as the starting pitchers in MLB games.
×
×
  • Create New...