Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Oldgoat_MN

Verified Member
  • Posts

    2,437
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Oldgoat_MN

  1. I suspect that with Greene it will be all about his secondary pitches, which he really doesn't need in HS. If he wants be drafted #1 he is going to have to display his entire arsenal. If the secondary pitches look good I will be interested to see the reviews. I expect the word 'rave' to apply.
  2. Then you'd have to factor in the pitching. "How many runs did the pitchers give up in Target Field in 2010?, 2011?, 2012?..." And for each team. Otherwise the talent on the pitching staff would have everything to do with how many runs the Giants scored in Target Field, especially as the Giants have a SSS in Target Field. Lots of variables.
  3. To see a prospect step out of college and immediately do well in class A ball is encouraging. Good luck to him!
  4. 2016 Twins per FanGraphs: Fielding.................29th of 30 Batting..................25th of 30 Pitching (starters)...26th of 30 Pitching (relief).......23rd of 30 So, two things: 1. You are right 2. Our bullpen was the highlight of the team last year
  5. So... he's all these things and still better than Kyle Gibson. I agree with you, and that's why I think the FO will be looking for an upgrade within the organization if Santiago or Gibson don't show better results this year.
  6. Even with his terrible start with the Twins Santiago had a better 2016 (all in the AL) than his slightly older teammate Kyle Gibson. I expect both of them to be on a short leash this year. If Either or both are pitching poorly we need to find out if the younger guys can make it work in MLB. No more hanging on to guys for seemingly no more reason than the have seniority and the are 'adequate'.
  7. Haha. That was pretty good, I knew it was bad, but I had to look it up to see he had 12 SB and was caught stealing 9 times.
  8. I would be very surprised. I think if you go into the playoffs with a 3rd catcher that is an interesting move. If you try to play through a season with 3 catchers it would limit your bench too severely.
  9. I think it would be very valuable to have an emergency catcher on the 25-man roster. It would have to be someone who could play other positions and could actually hit. Cesar Tovar used to be the emergency catcher for the Twins and he actually caught. I was told he would catch a couple of ST games each year so, if needed, he wasn't too terribly raw, but I have no first hand knowledge of this. (i.e. the guy who told me that story has a tendency to make things up)
  10. In 2013 Austin Malinowski had a 1.091 WHIP with 9.6 SO/9 as a 20 year old. Sure it was rookie ball, but it was only his second year. How could he ‘retire’? Can we get him to join the Lookouts? Even if he likes the Pats.
  11. How Will Derek Falvey Improve Twins Pitching? Apparently by signing NL older relief pitchers to one year contracts to pitch the all-important 7th inning on a non-contending team.
  12. Hey Platoon! Does this also qualify as 'faint praise'?
  13. I don't think I like it Tom. Boshers is 28 year old, had a 1.167 WHIP, a 2.84 FIP and 9.3 K/9 last season. If that were as bad as it gets we wouldn't have lost 103 games. EDIT: For those who prefer xFIP, he had the best on the team with 3.38.
  14. I like your lineup, LA Vikes Fan. At least until Buxton shows he should bat leadoff instead of Polanco because he's constantly on base. Man I hope that happens.
  15. I like his confidence and his commitment to working hard. Hope it pays off for Haley and the Twins.
  16. At least you'd have an excuse. "I have a very long commute!"
  17. A painful day for the Kansas City Royals and baseball fans everywhere. RIP Yordano.
  18. The most obvious platoon is first base and DH being between Park, Mauer and Vargas. Rosario's splits are not that great against LH pitchers, but they are better than Kepler's. I agree with tobi0040 though. Still not sure of any options Molitor might take advantage of.
  19. FanGraphs rated Hughes as the #5 pitcher in all of MLB for 2014. I believe It was a defensible decision based on the points ThejacKmp made. His post reminded me of our situation at that time. Remembering the potential upside of the signing tends to dissipate over time. And it was an unusually aggressive move by TR.
  20. You realize that only 4 first basemen in MLB had an OPS of .930 or greater, right? Would you tell Paul Goldschmidt that one more year like 2016 and he is benched? A little harsh. Mauer was 2nd on the team with a .363 OBP. The OPS wasn't vintage Mauer, but it's not nothing.
  21. Nice article. Thanks. I think that the omission of Buddy Boshers is a mistake. He had a 1.167 WHIP with 9.3 K/9 and a 2.84 FIP. According to FanGraphs (for RP with >30 innings in 2016) he was behind Pressly and Rogers but ahead of Kintzler, May and Tonkin (as well as Abad and Jepson). His minor league numbers also suggest this was not an outlier year. Also, I'm hoping to see Shaggy as a closer before late 2018. Really don't know what to say about May. I really like him but I'm not so sure a move to the starting rotation is going to go as well as many seem to hope.
  22. There was really no good reason not to believe that Joe Mauer was Hall of Fame bound when they inked that contract. He was an excellent catcher as well as one of the best hitters in the game. I don't think people expected him to have every year look like 2009, but had his decline been gradual his HOF case would have been pretty sound. Two more years of roughly what we got this year, I expect, though I also expect him to play a good deal less as Park and Vargas (or someone else) begin to give him days off more frequently.
  23. This was great, Parker. Thank you. It's also fun to read how all the posters here remember it. Special for all of us. Interesting thing about your story: Gibson apologizing for his .286/.375/.476 (.851) slash line. Well, he apologized for the strikeouts. Look at that and you will see (or remember) how much game has changed as far as how people appreciate the contributions made by the players. Yes, "he walks too much" was once considered by some to be a put-down of a ballplayer.
×
×
  • Create New...