Oldgoat_MN
Verified Member-
Posts
2,437 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
News
Minnesota Twins Videos
2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking
2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits
Guides & Resources
2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
The Minnesota Twins Players Project
2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker
2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses
Forums
Blogs
Events
Store
Downloads
Gallery
Everything posted by Oldgoat_MN
-
I think this line is correct and says a lot. Once upon a time the Twins had a SS named Greg Gagne. Occasionally he would find himself hitting over .300 and would immediately go into a decline. While I am not a psychotherapist I always thought Gagne either felt he wasn't as good as his numbers were getting to be or he didn't 'deserve' to have that much success. I am starting to feel the same way about Buck. I think there is something wrong with his head.
-
Article: Twins Pitching Success is Not Sustainable
Oldgoat_MN replied to Tom Froemming's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Pressly posts an ERA+ of >100 4 years in a row. Now he's getting rocked. I think part of the problem is we don't know who to send down. With so many pitchers no one is getting enough time to prove they should not be here. If Molitor doesn't have confidence in them we hardly see them at all. Which means they don't have enough innings to get themselves sent down or DFA'd, I think we all knew that the pitching was the Achilles heel on this team. Frankly I'm more disappointed in the offense. -
Article: Santiago Starting To Turn Heads
Oldgoat_MN replied to Cody Christie's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I agree. Waiting for Buck to have a 2 for 4 game with 2 doubles and 5 RBI in a 6-4 win. Some will proclaim that Buck is now a star! I believe consistent hitting will come. I am, on the other hand, finding it increasingly difficult to be patient. -
These are really fun Seth. Thanks. Sam Clay has a comically high ERA because of that first outing where he gave up 6 earned runs in two thirds of an inning. Since then he has been the pitcher from A ball last year. He's already 24 years old and a bullpen guy. I always wonder what kind of a future a guy like that has. And you could say something similar for a lot of these guys. Just got to watch 'em.
- 15 replies
-
- nik turley
- lamonte wade
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Santiago Starting To Turn Heads
Oldgoat_MN replied to Cody Christie's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
But Thrylos, that's the point. He always outperforms his peripherals. He had a good year going last year (10-4 for the Angels), faltered badly for like 4 games upon being traded, then closed out with like 5 of his last 7 starts being quality starts. Do I think he will maintain a 1.47 ERA? Of course not. He does everything wrong. He lives up in the zone. Very few successful pitchers do that. He seldom goes 7 innings. That's annoying. To me, he is just very interesting, and that makes him fun. -
It's tough. It's like it is impossible not to like the kid, but I now cringe every time he comes to bat. I watch because I desperately want him to get a hit and I'm almost always disappointed, and usually I see a strikeout. I suppose we could send him to AAA to see if that helps, but this front office would just call up some pitcher with a high ERA and that would make me angry. No idea what to do. Each year about two hundred rookies with far less talent than he get the the big leagues and almost all of the position players can hit .200. Just no idea...
- 3 comments
-
- #byronbuxton
- #squrireltriedtoeatharris
- (and 3 more)
-
Article: Ervin Santana Is Legit
Oldgoat_MN replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I hope not. They should be sellers unless something shocking happens. Like challenging for the division title. -
Article: Ervin Santana Is Legit
Oldgoat_MN replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Actually I really like the guy and would hate to lose him. He seems very positive and a nice, stable presence for the younger pitchers. Yeah, and I like Dozier, too. Trade 'em if you can get a good return. -
Typically that would be true, but not on this team. We have Dozier, Polanco and Escobar who can play that position. While a true utility infielder should play all 3 positions it is not as important to this team, even if one goes down to injury or trade.
- 34 replies
-
- mitch garver
- jose berrios
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Five Takeaways From A Fun First Week
Oldgoat_MN replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
For me the OF defense is the most eye-opening. Really fun to watch. That rundown by Sano was horrible. Can't say enough bad things about it, but I also expect it will never happen again. I'm sure there were several coaches lined up to say something to Miggy. Hopefully one of them did so in a calm manner. I'm also pleased with the play of Polanco. If he had any really bad plays I missed them. This could be really great news for the Twins if he continues to play SS well. It's been fun so far. Go Twins!- 75 replies
-
- byron buxton
- ervin santana
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Five Takeaways From A Fun First Week
Oldgoat_MN replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Falvey looks bigger in this picture than I remember.- 75 replies
-
- byron buxton
- ervin santana
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Greene Impresses Twins Brass
Oldgoat_MN replied to Jeremy Nygaard's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I think it remains to be seen if there are any top notch college stars. True, there is no sure thing Scherzer or Sale in the group, but they weren't sure things either. Greene might be the guy, but it's difficult to rate his secondary pitches when he almost never needs them in HS. I read some accounts saying Kohl Stewart had the highest upside in the entire 2013 draft. I'm not blasting Stewart here, just reminding that all High School pitchers are a huge gamble. I absolutely agree with Darius. No #1/#1 outfielder, especially one prone to strike out at the rate Kendall does. -
Article: Twins Walk Their Way To 3-0
Oldgoat_MN replied to Seth Stohs's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Immediately after a 4 pitch walk, Buxton comes to the plate and swings at a ball almost in the dirt. The third pitch (the strikeout pitch) was well outside. Makes you wonder why Moylan threw that second pitch over the plate. Buck has to stop pressing.- 42 replies
-
- jason castro
- miguel sano
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: A Quick Look Around
Oldgoat_MN replied to Jeremy Nygaard's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I think there is a pretty good chance that we can field a middle infield with Escobar, Polanco, Goodrum, Gordon and Vielma. Not sure who else might show up and of course any of these players might decline early, but I'm not too worried about the MI. The corner infield positions may feature Sano, Park, Goodrum/utility MI and a number of possibilities, though I do not have high hopes for Palka and Diaz will still be young. Still, 1B is among the easiest positions to fill in FA. A lot of the preparation for the future will be determined by the play of Rosario and Vargas this year. Rosario is a good fielder and has speed, and therefore has a much longer leash than Vargas. If Rosario doesn't step forward we have a big gap in the OF. Bigger than I want to count on Granite to fill, as I see him as a 4th OF. If Vargas does step forward I would consider that a major win for the Twins. And even this rosy outlook depends on Kepler, Buxton and Sano becoming at least close to the players we have been hoping they would. With the way the pitchers are lined up in the minors I wouldn't put any money on a post-season game next year, but the future holds some reason for optimism.- 6 replies
-
- twins
- miguel sano
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Just One Of 162, But Twins Win Felt Big
Oldgoat_MN replied to Seth Stohs's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I thought the veteran Santana was a great cheerleader yesterday. He regularly clapped or pointed at the defenders when they made their plays. Keep reminding everyone that their play is important and that good defensive play is appreciated. It looked like a veteran pitcher motivating his team. Nice touch.- 76 replies
-
- ervin santana
- byron buxton
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Puzzling Pitching, and Disturbing Designating
Oldgoat_MN commented on Ted Schwerzler 's blog entry in Off The Baggy
As Mauer's stats have fallen specifically against LH pitchers, we here at TD had widely believed Mauer would bat fewer times against LH pitchers. Makes sense, right? Apparently we are not as clever as our new SABR-metric FO. OK. Who plays 1B and who is the DH when we face a southpaw? -
Article: 2017 Twins Player Predictions: Byron Buxton
Oldgoat_MN replied to Seth Stohs's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
September 12 through October 2, 2016, Buxton hit .219/.315/.500 (.815) which is certainly a fine OPS from a Gold Glove caliber CF, but that BA was pretty painful. His BABIP was .305 so probably a little shy of what we should expect of a guy with Buck’s speed. His September stats were primarily boosted by his .405 BA and .476 BABIP in the first 10 games of that month (1.355 OPS). Even then he struck out at a 30% clip over those 10 games. I’m a big Buxton fan, but I’m not so sure his contact issues are behind him. I’m also not optimistic he can sustain the 10% walk rate he had in September. If Buck can manage a .250 BA and keep his OBP>.300 I believe his power will put him in the mid to upper .700s for OPS. Not an All-Star, but a guy trending in the right direction. -
Article: Surprises Mark Twins Opening Day Roster
Oldgoat_MN replied to Seth Stohs's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Yeah, I didn't know that was possible... I have fewer likes than f***s to give.- 388 replies
-
- byungho park
- robbie grossman
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Surprises Mark Twins Opening Day Roster
Oldgoat_MN replied to Seth Stohs's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Chris Gimenez is bringing his .602 OPS from last year to be a backup 1B? Mauer can do better than that even if he only faced LH pitchers. DanSan? I am not finding many of their moves what I would call 'inspiring'.- 388 replies
-
- byungho park
- robbie grossman
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
I'm holding out hope that the reason they signed Breslow was largely to see what his 'analytic' approach produces for him. If positive they may work it into the development of some of the other pitchers. I doubt this is the first time Falvey or Levine have been intrigued by pitching mechanics.
- 143 replies
-
- brandon kintzler
- matt belisle
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Report From The Fort: Decisions And Divides
Oldgoat_MN replied to John Bonnes's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I'm with you except for Boshers. Too little data to be sure that last year was a fluke. SIERA, FIP and xFIP suggest it wasn't. And I agree that Haley could go. This team is trying to determine who they should keep from one of the worst pitching staffs of 2016. Some team out there is likely going to DFA someone who is better than some of the players we have. If we are watching carefully we may find a couple of them to help our team. I'll be very curious to see what our new FO does here.

