Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Oldgoat_MN

Verified Member
  • Posts

    2,437
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Oldgoat_MN

  1. I still keep thinking someone is going to pick up Morneau for a song. His odds of having a good year are being underestimated. September 2015 slash line: .338/.423/.471 (.894) He only had 78 PA in September, but that's not nothin'.
  2. Amused that once again Berrios' height comes up. He is the same height as Johan Santana. I'd take that.
  3. I don't know what changed in BASEBALL-REFERENCE.com, but I cannot get to Escobar's minor league numbers. Here's how I remember it: In 2013 Escobar was sent down after posting an unimpressive BA/OBP. He went to AAA and tore it up. When he came back in September he tore it up. MLB 2013 OPS: .628 MLB 2014 OPS: .721 MLB 2015 OPS: .754 He learned something in AAA that he has not forgotten. His last two years he really stepped up. Those are good numbers for a shortstop, especially one whose defense is not just good, but improving. I'm very happy with EE for now. Happy FOR the kid, too.
  4. I would love to see the Twins in the post season, but we should remember that we finished the season closer to the Tigers (in last place) than to the Royals. With Sano's new position, Buxton coming on board and figurung it out, the questions of Arcia's hitting and Rosario's OBP and a host of potential bullpen arms finally preparing to join the team, I suspect it is 2017 before the Twins are serious contenders for an extended post season run. Therefore, I cannot get too worked up about how this season starts. I am more concerned with how all the young talent develops and comes together.
  5. You could at least be polite enough to use my name, rather than hinting around to everyone that I should be doing something.
  6. To be fair, unicorns are rumored to be excellent pitchers.
  7. Hmm. Well, the uniform thing should at least be interesting.
  8. Two All Star types in the outfield is something that Minnesota has not had for quite some time, and the indication now is that it could be something experienced for years to come. Buxton, Sano and Kepler. Which one doesn't have All Star potential? Kepler has been overshadowed by Sano & Buxton for so long it's like he had to have a monster year to get some attention. Nice article. Thank you.
  9. Mussina won 270 games and had 2,813 strikeouts. Bert Blyleven won 287 games and had 3,701 strikeouts. (5th all-time, though I believe he was 3rd all-time when he retired) If Mussina ever gets in it will only be due to playing with the Yankees. I would really like to see Tim Raines get in. I really believe he deserves it. Good list & good points!
  10. Hmmm. I'm a pretty big Escobar fan but I have to admit I never really considered him for the leadoff spot. Batting second I have thought of, but it might be good to have a switch-hitter batting first. I suspect he'll be given a shot at it if Buxton isn't ready and no one else steps up. I might like this idea, but he would have to pick up his OBP. Sadly, almost all the Twins need to pick up their OBP.
  11. If Rosario is in left field with a .705 OPS he will be one of the weakest hitting corner outfielders in Major League Baseball. Not sure you're wrong. Steamer projects the same thing, though he always thinks everybody not named Trout will have a down year. I expect the Twins to give Arcia every possible chance to force his way into the lineup (at least against RH pitchers). Even Steamer projects his OPS at >.770. Nice article. Lots to argue about here.
  12. Excellent recap of the most likely negotiation points. Thank you
  13. I sure hope you are right. Some of these guys coming through would make a huge difference. It would be nice once again to have a bullpen that was considered 'lights out'. And with these young men, it could be that way for a few seasons.
  14. Kang hit 4 home runs in 2015 from April through June. (with a .262 BA) He hit 11 more the rest of the season. (with a .307 BA) He said that he was being patient and trying to learn MLB pitching before he got too aggressive. I hope very much that Park takes the same approach that Kang did. I hope even more that he gets similar results. In Korea, Kang was good. Park was better.
  15. If Arcia returns to his pre-2015 self we will want him in the lineup every time the other team has a RH pitcher on the mound. Moving Plouffe to the outfield instead of Sano is not going to happen. As has been stated elsewhere, (by Seth, IIRC) Sano is faster than Plouffe and very athletic. I doubt very much that he, at this point, is as good a 3B as Plouffe. Makes no sense. The Twins have a lot of young, inexpensive players. They could go out, pay for and get a proven, effective LH for the bullpen before all the good ones are gone. (are they all gone already?)
  16. I believe that an opt-out to a contract, especially to pitchers, is a foolish move. If you are willing to make a long term commitment then the player needs to do the same. I'm all for players getting a share of the pie, but I always think poorly of GMs who sign those sorts of contracts.
  17. Yes, that, and they are $350 per ticket.
  18. If we are honest about our favorite team, there is no position that couldn't be upgraded. So far, there is no position that has seen a significant upgrade. I like the long shot bet on Park. Could pay off well. But make no mistake. Terry Ryan will never take you to the World Series unless most of his long shots hit and everything falls into place. He really isn't all that committed to it. He knows far more about baseball than I ever will, but that doesn't mean he's willing to do what needs to be done to put a complete team on the field. And I expect my first reprimand in 5, 4, 3, 2.......
  19. Somehow I find it unlikely that TR will take on an additional $40+ million to gamble that his would work for the Twins. Lots of good information. Fun to think about.
  20. Watching Cesar Tovar play was truly a treat. Made me smile to remember him back then. I especially loved the game in which he played all 9 postiions.
  21. Benson over Nunez is crazy talk. The guy is an excellent hitting utility IF. And I lot the idea of batting Sano third. If Buck is in the lineup (and can hit and walk) Mauer has to move down.
  22. For right handed power the Twins will have Sano, Plouffe (maybe), Dozier, and, as some point, Buxton. Also, our likely utility IF had the second highest OPS on the team. I'm high on Rosario, but he has not been an .800 OPS guy since high A ball. If anything, we maybe could use a LH power bat. And if Park is anything like we all hope he is, Arcia would have to have a Barry Bonds season to have a rival team be concerned about our LH power. Some variables have to break right, but there may be good things afoot.
  23. All excellent. Thank you. Very well said.
  24. If May is included as a starter, the top five projected pitcher ERAs on the Twins next year are May, Berrios, Milone, Gibson and Duffy. Any chance the Twins will go with that rotation? None. You have the 3 highest paid pitchers on the team left off the list. Ain't gonna happen. A good, if depressing, article. Thanks. I think.
  25. I agree with Roger, although of course we all hope for that Morneau-like resurgance. As far as Mauer "only starting against RHP (or even less)" Mauer last year hit slightly better against LHP than RHP. The RHB vs LHP or LHB vs RHP is not always useful. You have to consider the player.
×
×
  • Create New...