I must confess (little play on words there) that I attended a Catholic school and even did some time as an altar boy, until the parish priest decided it would be best for all concerned if I pursued my educational opportunities at the public school. I’m also a fan of fortune cookies and therefore feel qualified to weave a few of today’s game threads, Joe Torre getting reamed in church, platitudes instead of fortunes inside fortune cookies and the ashes on the forehead thing, into a nice little knot. First off, Catholics like to wallow in guilt. That’s why the woman chewed Torre a new one in church; she was just being a good Catholic and helping him feel guilty. Although just being the Yankee manager should be enough of a guilt trip for anyone. Dominus vobiscum. Secondly, Confucius died centuries ago and Charlie Chan last century. Now the Chinese are more into making shoddy products than coming up with meaningful predictions. They’ve lost their perspicacity and now just look for a paycheck at the end of the week. Ergo, no more pithy prognostications. Man lying on hill, not on the level. Lastly, my brother Goose and I decided to skip morning mass on Ash Wednesday once. Spent that hour driving around town in our 55 Olds smoking cigarettes, eating cookies and enjoying our good fortune. (You see how I snuck that in there?). The thing was, being the poor Catholics that we were, we forgot it was Ash Wednesday. So we show up for school as the only two unmarked students in the building. After a hasty barnstorming session, we slipped into the basement men’s room and lit up a couple of smokes, carefully saving the ashes in the palms of our hands. When he had enough ash, we smeared crosses on each other’s forehead and exited stage left only to discover Sister Lydia waiting outside the bathroom door for us. Apparently cigarette smoke is quite noticeable to nuns with large noses. We were toast and our immediate future looked pretty hazy. Needless to say we got our ashes kicked. Mind like parachute, work best when open.