Oldgoat_MN
Verified Member-
Posts
2,437 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
News
Minnesota Twins Videos
2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking
2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits
Guides & Resources
2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
The Minnesota Twins Players Project
2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker
2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses
Forums
Blogs
Events
Store
Downloads
Gallery
Everything posted by Oldgoat_MN
-
Article: Leadoff Candidate Conundrum
Oldgoat_MN replied to Cody Christie's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Buxton batting second is what occurs to me to make sense. I wouldn't start the season that way, but when Buxton shows that he has adapted then it is time, and his ability to hit the ball hard will sometimes score Polanco. I am not a fan of a medium to high HR guy batting leadoff. Try to put someone on base in front of them as often as possible. -
Article: Twins Send Six To Minor League Camp
Oldgoat_MN replied to Seth Stohs's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I certainly hope we see Romero in AA and Melotakis in AAA. That would be nice to see the Twins be aggressive with these pitchers. Melotakis had a high WHIP in AA last year, so that will have to come down. The comment by Randy Rosario is really unusual. Perhaps his agent pointed out that the Twins tend to let starting pitchers hang out in MiLB and never see MLB even if their numbers are better than those of other pitchers (Baxendale and Wheeler vs Dean and Albers last season). Going full time into relief opens an avenue that maybe they see as more likely to result in MLB exposure. If so, smart kid.- 18 replies
-
- stephen gonsalves
- aaron slegers
- (and 3 more)
-
True. The only one I suspect to be more than an extreme long shot to make a difference to the Twins someday is Rodriguez. As a reliever. Maybe.
- 18 replies
-
- levi michael
- travis harrison
- (and 3 more)
-
Max Kepler Looks To Bonds For Hitting Inspiration
Oldgoat_MN replied to Parker Hageman's topic in Minnesota Twins Talk
Excellent summation. I remember reading an interview with Justin Morneau where he was talking about rolling his wrists when hitting the ball to gain 'lift'. Vavra (hitting coach at the time) is old school. You don't need to be a physics professor to read that part above in bold and say, "Well, yeah". -
Exactly Thrylos. This is one of the main concerns I had last year about Terry Ryan. Both Baxendale and Wheeler had better numbers than Dean and Albers. I agree with DocBauer though. I think they've both been passed up now.
- 18 replies
-
- levi michael
- travis harrison
- (and 3 more)
-
All these guys need to show something this year or I wouldn't protect any of them. Here's my take: Levi Michael is not going to hit MLB pitching. If taking a guy who hits .215 in AA and moving him to AAA is the answer then you are asking a very odd question. Travis Harrison hasn't hit for an OPS of >.730 since low A ball in 2013. This is not going to be acceptable for a corner OF. David Hurlbut is 27 years old. He had a WHIP >1.3 and 6.0 SO/9 in AA last year. How he got promoted to AAA (where he had a WHIP of 1.538) is a mystery to me. Baseball is cruel. It is a very demanding game and many great athletes (like, say, Michael Jordan) try it and find that they just can't do it. Rodriguez has really only pitched two years. His WHIP was too high but it was better when he moved to A+ in a small sample size. This might be promising. I believe they will want to give him enough rope to either hang himself or use it to climb to AA. He needs to get to at least AA this year, as he will be 25 years old in June. Jason Wheeler should be on the list of pitchers who are considered for MLB action this year. I've read several times that his pitches are not overpowering, but he has good control (1.197 WHIP & 3.05 SO/W in AAA in 2016) and manages to keep his ERA down. It will be interesting to see if he gets to the Show if he continues to pitch like 2016. Fun stuff to ponder. Thanks Seth!
- 18 replies
-
- levi michael
- travis harrison
- (and 3 more)
-
Nice breakdown. Thank you. Our OF looks to be the best defensive OF the Twins have had in many years. Offensively there are still questions. None of the 3 have established themselves as someone the opposing team fears. Hopefully that will come. If not, OF are among the easiest to pick up in FA. I, too, am looking forward to see who of Romero, Berrios, May, Gonsalves, Mejia, Thorpe and Melotakis could pan out. If two of them do then you sign a FA pitcher and *poof*, you are competitive. Ah, baseball!
-
Ranking: Methods of Speeding Up Baseball
Oldgoat_MN commented on Jon Marthaler's blog entry in Marthaler
Plus: watching players make challenges is hilarious because they're always wrong. Every team will have at least two players that cannot believe that they are ever out, and will challenge every call and waste their team's replay challenges, and we will all get to laugh at them. This reminds me of a book written by a retired NBA basketball referee. I never read the book, but I remember a great quote from it when he was speaking about the players. "Charles Barkley has never committed a foul." -
Max Kepler Looks To Bonds For Hitting Inspiration
Oldgoat_MN replied to Parker Hageman's topic in Minnesota Twins Talk
I agree. I find Kepler's comments a concern. We are all pleased that Kepler did not fall flat on his face in 2016, but it's not like he tore up the league. Max Kepler compared to others with >=400 PA 162 of 203 players in WAR, bottom 5% (includes DEF) 154 of 203 in wRC+, bottom 25% 153 of 203 in wOBA, bottom 25% Take out his hot July and Kepler's numbers would be quite poor. This is not an All-Star. He should read and listen. Who knows that Wil Myers wouldn't hit better if he changed his swing? Lots of good articles linked from the comments. Took a long time to read them all. Thanks everyone! -
Article: Cody's Top Prospects: 6-10
Oldgoat_MN replied to Cody Christie's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
A list that makes you think. Thanks Cody. You certainly have Felix Jorge higher than most. We need to see some dominance from him this year or he's going to become another Randy Rosario; a pitcher who hanks out on the 40-man but will probably never see any time in MLB. While his SO/9 is not terribly impressive, his WHIP stays down, so that's something. I like Wander Javier, but there's a lot of love for a guy whose highest level of play is the Dominican Summer League and only had 30 PA there. Hope it goes somewhere. Side note: While Javier had a .308 BA and the highest OPS on the team (1.054), a 16 year old, Victor Tademo (the youngest player on the team), had BA of .311 in 201 PA. Fun stuff.- 3 replies
-
- kohl stewart
- wander javier
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Draft Preview: Five to Focus On
Oldgoat_MN replied to Jeremy Nygaard's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Thanks for posting that video. Of course it's a fluff piece to a certain extent, but I really was drawn in by the talk of the pitching specialist. It was also at that age that Hunter began working with Alan Jaeger, a pitching coach widely considered a pioneer of arm health and velocity development. Also, he seems unusually focused for a teenager. Very interesting.- 89 replies
-
- hunter greene
- kyle wright
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
What Do Twins Have In Santiago?
Oldgoat_MN commented on Ted Schwerzler 's blog entry in Off The Baggy
Terry Ryan over-extended himself by spending on starting pitching that had almost no chance of paying off. That is so very well said. Santiago is a mystery. After going 6-0 in July with a 1.33 WHIP (too high) and 8.7 SO/9 (very good) he was traded to the Twins and the change in scenery was terrible for him. He bounced back with good numbers in September, but his peripherals are not encouraging. His peripherals have never been encouraging. Difficult to measure a guy who has almost always outperformed his peripherals. No idea what we have until he takes the mound. I find that a little unsettling. -
I suppose if one of Rosario, Buxton or Kepler is injured we could see Stubbs coming in as a regular OF. We really don’t have anyone other than Palka that is close and he is no guarantee. Maybe Granite. That would be fun. As far as this line of ‘we need a veteran presence’, it worked for Terry Ryan so Falvey and Levine decided they’d use it, too. It stands for, ‘we didn’t sign anyone who would be very good because those guys are expensive, but look who was still available in February!’
- 42 replies
-
- drew stubbs
- jb shuck
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
You see 0 Warning Points under your name? Why do we all see 174 Warning Points under your name? If you really had 0 Warning Points you wouldn't even see a Warning Points field.
- 42 replies
-
- drew stubbs
- jb shuck
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Twins Position Battles: Backup Catcher
Oldgoat_MN replied to Seth Stohs's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I think this is the third thread where I've noticed Mike Sixel saying 'Garver is already 26 year old, how long do you want to keep him down'? I agree, but I still think believe that the guy, unless he shows MLB caliber presence with the bat and the pitchers, should start in AAA. He has caught in only 60 games above high A ball. As Brock said, start with JRM. If he fails, give Garver a shot. Gimenez's 'veteran presence' can be useful in AAA.- 100 replies
-
- mitch garver
- chris gimenez
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Cody's Top Prospects: 11-20
Oldgoat_MN replied to Cody Christie's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Lewis Thorpe is really a mystery. It will be fun to see what he does this year. I don't really get the Daniel Palka bandwagon. From what I've read he is not going to hit MLB pitching. I wish him all the best, but I am surprised you have him higher than Shaggy, who I am a big believer in. Of course if we all had the same opinions this website would be silly. Thank for the write-up! -
Twins Admit "Engelb Vielma" Is Not A Real Person
Oldgoat_MN commented on Jon Marthaler's blog entry in Marthaler
That was splendid! Thank you. Um, Alex Kirilloff is real though, isn't he? -
Article: TD Top Prospects: #1 Fernando Romero
Oldgoat_MN replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Shouldn’t Keaton Steele have to post a WHIP <1.3 or SO/9 >6.0 before he moves from A+ to AA? And I certainly wouldn’t let Randy Rosario or Felix Jorge stand in the way of a promising starting pitcher like Romero. Not to throw shade, but I wouldn’t let Kohl Stewart stand in the way of Romero, either. I get that Romero is not a lock, but he's the best SP prospect we have right now. -
Article: TD Top Prospects: #1 Fernando Romero
Oldgoat_MN replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Excellent write-up. Thank you. If Romero becomes a true #1 it changes everything. It makes the SP success of one of Berrios, Duffey or Jay to make this team one FA SP away from true contention. I like those odds. -
Ten Bold Predictions for the 2017 MLB Season
Oldgoat_MN commented on Hrbowski's blog entry in Hrbowski's Blog
Bold indeed! Trea Turner... A ball OPS...... .976 AA ball OPS.... .860 AAA ball OPS.. .821 Not that he spent much time at any of those levels, but...wow! -
Article: Twins Roster Projection 2017: Version 2.0
Oldgoat_MN replied to Seth Stohs's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Ryan Vogelsong sported a 4.53 FIP and a 1.467 WHIP in 2015. In 2016 he featured a 5.0 FIP and a 1.457 WHIP. He is this year's Pat Dean. Not terrible, but not a SP on a good team.- 63 replies
-
- miguel sano
- byron buxton
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Twins Blunder Polanco's Development
Oldgoat_MN replied to Cody Christie's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Last season as we checked the box scores for Rochester it was clear that the Red Wings did not have a MLB ready SS. No one in the MI could hit except Polanco. This was obvious to those of us who are simple observers. Something is amiss. Hopefully it gets set right. -
Very interesting Nick, thank you. You and your equally odd and focused partners have put together a site that fills, well, not a need, but an avenue of entertainment that we take seriously. I still appreciate TenthInningStretch, TwinkieTown, TwinsTrivia, OffTheBaggy, etc., but this is my go to place. A great cure for the depression I was spiraling into upon the retirement of Bat-Girl.

