tony&rodney
Old-Timey Member-
Posts
10,385 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
88
Content Type
Profiles
News
Minnesota Twins Videos
2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking
2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits
Guides & Resources
2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
The Minnesota Twins Players Project
2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker
2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses
Forums
Blogs
Events
Store
Downloads
Gallery
Everything posted by tony&rodney
-
I'm not sure why you think that deal will be an albatross for the Royals. If the contract runs its course, Witt Jr. will only be 34 years old. He is an exceptional athlete. Kansas City has plans to move into a new stadium downtown in the future. The Royals are trying to turn things around and Witt Jr. is about as much fun to watch as any young position player in the game. Yes, it is a good deal for Witt Jr. but I believe the deal is more important to the franchise than it is to the player in this case.
- 41 replies
-
- carlos santana
- gregory santos
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
The Twins don't have anyone right now that remotely compares to Bobby Witt Jr. Witt Jr. is still 23, has two full seasons in the books, and has shown improvement in all phases of his game. He ranks with Julio Rodriguez among young AL stars. The Twins do have some fine young players just working on getting their first 500 PA in MLB and a couple of exciting prospects. The time for attempting long term deals may come in a few years but it doesn't seem likely now with all of the financial uncertainties. The roster looks pretty set and we shall see who goes to Kansas City in late March.
- 41 replies
-
- carlos santana
- gregory santos
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
You got me thinking ....... how many players have played in MLB?
- 48 replies
-
- carlos santana
- byron buxton
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Greatest Twins Teams of All Time: 1965
tony&rodney replied to Matt Braun's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
To be fair, the sons and grandchildren like baseball to varying degrees. Carl didn't care for baseball. He bought the team for his wife and it was a profitable gift too. The quality of the teams was all on the front office.- 17 replies
-
- harmon killebrew
- zoilo versalles
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
You are correct. It does put any numbers out of whack. I have not looked at salaries for corner outfielders versus third basemen. Soto just popped into my head. i think that all of the comments from Falvey, Baldelli, and Boras (notably not Lewis) about Royce staying where he is (3B) are related to wanting Lewis to be prepared at one spot and comfortable coming into what everyone hopes will be a full season for the former #1-1 pick.
-
The comparison to Beltre loosely fits in some ways. Max is an elite athlete. The second half of last season could be repeated for multiple full seasons going forward. Kepler is very difficult to predict though. I'm not always sure that baseball and the life is completely an ideal for him. Max Kepler came to the United States as a 16 year old, but he was very aware of and had exposure to U. S. culture and habits while attending John F. Kennedy School in Berlin. Kep is a third culture kid. As a Twins fan I hope Max Kepler has the best season of his career so far in the coming season. However, I do not believe that Kepler would sign another contract with the Twins in any event.
- 68 replies
-
- max kepler
- jorge polanco
- (and 4 more)
-
.... and Brooks Lee.
-
Jackson is signed to a MLB contract according to mlbtraderumors. I'm not sure any of the additions strengthens the Twins bullpen but it definitely improves the depth, much of it playing across the river in St. Paul. Depth is always good. I do wonder what if any impact this will have on morale. It doesn't need to but baseball players are human and being pushed down to AAA by someone that has an MLB contract but is not necessarily better can create thoughts. Signing multiple players to camp on minor league contracts is more the norm because teams can then see what transpires in February and March before assigning slots to the 26 person roster. Competition isn't really a thing when a guy with options goes head to head with someone on an MLB deal.
-
Three months too late.
-
Path? I'm not privy to whatever is going on in Falvey's mind and do not understand his actions. No matter though. Abreu is likely worth Kepler plus Jax. Duran & Abreu would be something to lock down the back end of games. The piles of relievers the Twins are accumulating have all had decent stretches and a good year here and there. I'm not sure how comfortable the front office is with the bullpen if they are adding guys on MLB contracts still. maybe Falvey wants a full squad in St. Paul. It looks like Sands, Winder, Balazovic, and others may be in a hole come April. Who knows what is going on. Still a ton of guys out there to sign I guess.
- 43 replies
-
- pablo lopez
- anthony desclafani
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Greatest Twins Teams of All Time: 1965
tony&rodney replied to Matt Braun's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
The three teams that I remember the best are probably the 1969 & 1970 Twins and then the 1977 Twins. I would not put the 1977 team in a top ten but man were they a fun to watch. Met Stadium was just a big erector set but fun for baseball. You could slide two beers in each arm of a light coat and walk in free after the third inning. Or you could go early, buy a cheap seat and sit wherever you wanted as long as you stayed away from the most prime seats where a pile of guys didn't belong. 1977 was a fun summer.- 17 replies
-
- harmon killebrew
- zoilo versalles
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Greatest Twins Teams of All Time: 1965
tony&rodney replied to Matt Braun's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
We just disagree on greatest, no big deal.- 17 replies
-
- harmon killebrew
- zoilo versalles
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Greatest Twins Teams of All Time: 1965
tony&rodney replied to Matt Braun's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
The 1906 Chicago Cubs won 116 games as did the 2001 Seattle Mariners. Neither team won the World Series in that year. Everyone will have their own criteria for the greatest teams of all time or for any particular club. It is a tough crowd that only allows the winners of the World Series to be on the top of the lists, but to each their own. I can only speak for myself and choose the 1965 Minnesota Twins as the best team in club history. I have watched and listened to all of the Twins squads over the years. Because my list (if I made one) would be based on which teams i felt were the best teams, neither the 1987 team or the 1991 team would make my top ten. I fully understand why others would make their choices of "best" on different criteria. I sold beer at the Dome from the first game until the 1990s and rarely missed a pitch except when I ran to gather a new tray. I saw a ton of baseball. I also had season tickets a couple of years later on. The articles, discussions, and justifications are all a ton of fun. It is a smile to think back on the really good teams and an "oh jeez" to think back on some of the weaker rosters.- 17 replies
-
- harmon killebrew
- zoilo versalles
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Offseason Status Update: Polanco Out, Santana In
tony&rodney replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Nick, I had two immediate reactions. 1. Are these the moves you (others) expected to improve the team for 2024? 2. Do you believe the payroll is more or less finished at or around $120-125 million? These moves are not what I expected and no one mentioned any of these players among about 100+ names put forth. I did make my 2nd payroll blueprint for $120 million which is what I expected for a budget. My first budget was a silly $150 M joke (included Juan Soto for fun) one for the initial TD blueprint. Naturally, I hope the team comes together and has a successful season and that the new players have good years.- 21 replies
-
- jorge polanco
- carlos santana
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
You are probably right about Houston holding onto Abreu. I like both Jax and Stewart but they are not in the same class as Abreu. I was reacting to the idea of making the bullpen more dominant with a slim suggestion, that's all.
- 43 replies
-
- pablo lopez
- anthony desclafani
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
That is a pretty good take. Duran is the only sure dominant pitcher in the current bullpen though. Perhaps the Twins and Astros can find an exchange. Bryan Abreu is really good. Would Houston send him for Kepler?
- 43 replies
-
- pablo lopez
- anthony desclafani
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Reevaluating the Jorge Polanco Trade
tony&rodney commented on Doctor Gast's blog entry in Doctor Gast's Blog
I appreciate your response and agree with your statements. My question is more focused on what level of satisfaction would you (anyone) have had if Falvey had declared the changes we have now last November. I mean (actually) zero persons mentioned any of these players at any point, to my knowledge, during the past three plus months among a couple of hundred names put forth as possible or hopeful acquisitions. I'm just wondering more or less, not really important at all. -
The answer is Louie Varland. All hopes are high going into Spring Training.
- 43 replies
-
- pablo lopez
- anthony desclafani
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
119 OPS+ as a Boston Brave (Proves Babe Ruth was overrated right?) Happy Willie Mays Day dude.
-
Reevaluating the Jorge Polanco Trade
tony&rodney commented on Doctor Gast's blog entry in Doctor Gast's Blog
The Polanco to Seattle story is history. A host of posts are suggesting the Twins are better off today and will benefit in the upcoming season from the offseason additions. I hope so as much as the next guy. This is pure speculation. Just out of curiosity let us look at this in another speculative manner. If last November the Twins had announced that the team would add Anthony DeSclafaini as the starting pitcher they needed, Justin Topa as the relief pitcher they needed, Carlos Santana as the bat they needed, and that Jorge Polanco was no longer needed ..... I'm just curious and wondering what level of satisfaction, grade, number 1-10, or other judgment would folks have about those improvements toward winning a World Series?

