I guess I never believed that payroll for 2024 would be above $130 million. When John Bonnes suggested $170M and TD set it at $150M, it seemed unbelievable. I set one at TD price but set my second chart at what I originally believed ($120M).
Whereas other sports have spending floors and ceilings, baseball is almost exclusively tied to market, attendance, and media money. The Twins have to swim in Milwaukee range as far as spending for the most part. It's just a reality.
Of course, ownership and FO have a price/budget in mind. I don't believe ownership has anything to do with which players are added, traded for, etc. The basic numbers are set and then Falvey+ puts together the team. The players available last winter for a higher salary or via trade were not particularly attractive to me, except for Juan Soto. That wasn't going to happen but at a $150M budget I put it down. He doesn't make the team at $120M. I'm wondering who the Twins would have added with another year at $150M? The top choice on TD was Jordan Montgomery. Anyway that's a moot point.
Perhaps I cannot see past what I saw as an egregious bungling of the trade of Polanco for nothing. Everyone seemed to believe/know Polanco was going to be cut loose somehow. They saved something like $5.5M but also kept Farmer at $6.6M. Tough to see how this saved money. So, while I'm adding nonsense items I just think that the team we have is what Falvey put together. It's a good team and I'm not complaining but the realism of budgets means there would be a limit. Count me as one person who did not understand how the Twins could spend at 2023 levels or higher because I saw it as an outlier that would have a short life. Did Falvey know that 18+ months ago? Probably. It's his team in the sense that PBO/GMs put the roster together.
My expectation/guess is that 2025 will see a budget from $125-135 million. Falvey knows well ahead of time what he has to work with and gets to choose how he goes about putting the pieces together.