Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Twins Should Target Trevor Bauer

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 856 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...et-Trevor-Bauer

#2 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

I would offer any one of our prospects straight up for Bauer (Buxton and Berrios not eligable of course). I would not offer 2 top 5's or even a top 5 and a top 10. Perhaps a top 5(not Sano) plus Levi Michael, who despite his unproductive season in Fort Myers, should still have value as a prospect.

#3 Dave T

Dave T

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

This looks like Garza part II. If he won't listen to Arizona's pitching coaches, why would he listen to ours?

#4 mysonlikes7

mysonlikes7

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Combination of Hicks/Gibson/Benson

#5 mysonlikes7

mysonlikes7

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Forgot to add two of those three to the last post.

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

The Twins aren't known to be very patient with stubborn pitchers. He insists on using his four seamer up in the zone to strike guys out, while the team wants him to use his 2 seamer low and away. That's not something the Twins generally tolerate.

Plus there's this:
http://mlb.sbnation....na-diamondbacks

His insistance on boasing about his K numbers at the expense of control and allowing baserunners, combined with his attention hog antics kind of hint that his primary goal was to score big arbitration/free agent dollars before he ever landed in the big leagues. I'd rather his priorities were better aligned with winning baseball games.

I'd take him, but not at the price AZ would be willing to accept.

#7 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

I agree with others that his stubbornness might turn off the Twins. That said, if the Twins do really think they can get him working properly, I think they'd have to give up a lot for him. Span/Sano/Goodrum or Sano/Arcia/Kepler would be realistic starting points.

#8 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Trevor Plouffe. My guess--he never duplicates that 6 week streak of (bases empty!) HRs ever again. Goodness knows he isn't "all-that" in the field either. A potentially future, dominant pitcher looks better to me than Plouffe.

#9 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

He is 21. What kind of maturity are you looking for? And Garza has been effective.

#10 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

Already a thread about this.

#11 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

He is 21. What kind of maturity are you looking for? And Garza has been effective.

When asked about whether or not it was crazy for Arizona to want to trade Bauer, KLaw wrote: ' It is crazy and goes back to the D-backs souring on Upton for similar reasons. Bauer is 21. If you're concerned that he's immature, you probably should spend more time around 21-year-old men so that you realize that they're pretty much all immature.

#12 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

i would offer any one of our prospects straight up for bauer (buxton and berrios not eligable of course). I would not offer 2 top 5's or even a top 5 and a top 10. Perhaps a top 5(not sano) plus levi michael, who despite his unproductive season in fort myers, should still have value as a prospect.

lol Bauer is a top 5 prospect in all of baseball, you aren't going to get him for a mid 50's guy and Levi Michael who has very little trade value.

The cost for Bauer starts at Sano+

Or potentially 2 of Hicks/Arcia/Rosario

#13 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

Trevor Plouffe. My guess--he never duplicates that 6 week streak of (bases empty!) HRs ever again. Goodness knows he isn't "all-that" in the field either. A potentially future, dominant pitcher looks better to me than Plouffe.

What about Trevor Plouffe? Are you implying trading him for Bauer straight up???

#14 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 1,959 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

If TD participants have knowledge of Bauer being a head case, wouldn't the MLB community be aware of this also. It seems like it would be in Arizona's best interest to hold on to him and try to fix the mess in his noggin. With the information being shared on this thread, why would any organization trade their top notch prospects to AZ for Bauer.... this smells like a buy low situation.

Edited by Bark's Lounge, 09 November 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#15 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

If TD participants have knowledge of Bauer being a head case, wouldn't the MLB community be aware of this also. It seems like it would be in Arizona's best interest to hold on to him and try to fix the mess in his noggin. With the information being shared on this thread, why would any organization trade their top notch prospects to AZ for Bauer.... this smells like a sell low situation.

We knew that Delmon was a head case when we acquired him. There are always teams that think they can straighten the guy out. didn't work so well for us in Delmon's case.

#16 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

If TD participants have knowledge of Bauer being a head case, wouldn't the MLB community be aware of this also. It seems like it would be in Arizona's best interest to hold on to him and try to fix the mess in his noggin. With the information being shared on this thread, why would any organization trade their top notch prospects to AZ for Bauer.... this smells like a sell low situation.

Where there is smoke there is usually fire. It would be tough situation where your ace is intent on pitching his way, training his way and is not receptive to taking advise from coaches and other advisers in the organization.

#17 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Where there is smoke there is usually fire. It would be tough situation where your ace is intent on pitching his way, training his way and is not receptive to taking advise from coaches and other advisers in the organization.

Unless you could get him for a case of Miller High Life and some Banana flavored Laffy Taffy - I think I would have to pass.:)

#18 twinstalker

twinstalker

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

Yeah, Bauer commands Sano+. No? Then Arizona will take Bauer and easily trade him to a team with good hitting prospects. The Red Sox would easily part with Bogaerts to get Bauer. Cleveland would give up Lindor and anything else Arizona wants. Bauer has the value of a young Curt Schilling, circa 1993. We could get him, but Sano and Rosario would be the return. What they should do is see if Texas will give them Andrus and one of their good prospects like Rogned (sp). Their middle infield could be set for years.

#19 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

What about Trevor Plouffe? Are you implying trading him for Bauer straight up???

Yes.

#20 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

The whole thing smells. Sounds to me like Arizona is worried his arm isn't going to hold up (reading between the lines of course), or maybe just to send him a message. Regardless, you don't trade someone like Bauer because of his pitch selection or a little immaturity. Arizona is either bluffing or sees a torn labrum in his future.

#21 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

[quote name='Kwak'][quote name='SpiritofVodkaDave'][quote name='Kwak']Trevor Plouffe. My guess--he never duplicates that 6 week streak of (bases empty!) HRs ever again. Goodness knows he isn't "all-that" in the field either. A potentially future, dominant pitcher looks better to me than Plouffe.[/QUOTE]

What about Trevor Plouffe? Are you implying trading him for Bauer straight up???[/QUOTE]

Yes.[/QUOTE]

wow.....

#22 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

Yeah, Bauer commands Sano+. No? Then Arizona will take Bauer and easily trade him to a team with good hitting prospects. The Red Sox would easily part with Bogaerts to get Bauer. Cleveland would give up Lindor and anything else Arizona wants. Bauer has the value of a young Curt Schilling, circa 1993. We could get him, but Sano and Rosario would be the return. What they should do is see if Texas will give them Andrus and one of their good prospects like Rogned (sp). Their middle infield could be set for years.

All of those are probably true.

#23 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

I think the posts here have hit it pretty much on the head. There is no denying that the kid has talent and is major league ready today. If half of the stories floating around about him are true, I wouldn't trade much value for him.

The Twins track record with head cases speaks for itself. They either decide not to work with them (Ortiz, Lohse) or give them to much rope (Delmon). Part of the Twins way is conformity. This guy does not fit that bill. I can't see them making a move here (as much as he could help them).

#24 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Arizona could be interested in Span, correct? Gerado Parra isn't much of a player so I think that would be someplace we could move Denard. Arizona is my favorite NL team and if Span had to go anywhere I'd chose there. He could play alongside Kubes!

This enough, too much, or too little?
Span, Rosario, Harrison, Herrmann

I'm really resilient on trading Hicks, but I LOVE Bauer's upside. If the prior wasn't enough, maybe this?

Hicks, Rosario, Harrison, Herrmann

I'd really like some input and thoughts please.

#25 Andrew Bryz-Gornia

Andrew Bryz-Gornia

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

Arizona could be interested in Span, correct? Gerado Parra isn't much of a player so I think that would be someplace we could move Denard..

Um, Parra and Span are pretty similar stat-wise. The only difference is that Parra has primarily played the corner outfield, whereas Span has been a center fielder. Arizona won't take Span.

#26 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall told reporters Bauer admitted he made mistakes and has even reached out to some veteran teammates, including closer J.J. Putz. And though there had been some whispers the D-Backs might trade Bauer this offseason, Hall told the reporters that this wouldn't be happening.

This quote is from Friday.

We were maybe just getting our hopes up.

#27 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall told reporters Bauer admitted he made mistakes and has even reached out to some veteran teammates, including closer J.J. Putz. And though there had been some whispers the D-Backs might trade Bauer this offseason, Hall told the reporters that this wouldn't be happening.

This quote is from Friday.

We were maybe just getting our hopes up.

I am sorry you had to be the Harbinger of this bad news. Maybe now we can move on to how Stephen Strasburg is pissed off at the Nats for shutting him down in early September and how we can trade Denard Span for him... the Nats are always seemingly in the market for a Center fielder ya know!

#28 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

The DBacks and the Twins simply do not match up with needs/wants. The Twins do match up very well with TB/ATL/SEA/CIN though and I think we'll see a deal (or two?) happen this offseason.

#29 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

Um, Parra and Span are pretty similar stat-wise. The only difference is that Parra has primarily played the corner outfield, whereas Span has been a center fielder. Arizona won't take Span.

Span has a career OPS+ of 104, Parra has 93.

Also his WAR was 3.2 higher last year then Parra's and has been quite a bit higher over the course of their careers Span (16.5 vs 4.8)

#30 SpantheMan

SpantheMan

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

[quote name='Kwak'][quote name='SpiritofVodkaDave'][quote name='Kwak']Trevor Plouffe. My guess--he never duplicates that 6 week streak of (bases empty!) HRs ever again. Goodness knows he isn't "all-that" in the field either. A potentially future, dominant pitcher looks better to me than Plouffe.[/QUOTE]

What about Trevor Plouffe? Are you implying trading him for Bauer straight up???[/QUOTE]

Yes.[/QUOTE]

10 Trevor Plouffe's couldn't bring back Bauer.