Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Super 2 arbitration status: Arraez and Minaya

mnfireman

According to MLB Trade Rumors this years Super 2 status was set at 2 years 116 days, which makes Arraez and Minaya arbitration eligible and gives them an extra year of arbitration. This may affect team roster construction, free agent pursuit and tradability of each player. Thoughts? Concerns?   

24 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Super 2 arbitration was set at 2.116 this offseason and Arraez is at 2.121.  So it seems he qualified for arbitration.  I guess that's already included in most offseason planning but now its confirmed.

We all assumed he’d be on the line and wow, that was close. 

Of the pitchers that the Twins picked up off the scrap heap, Minaya was the most effective IMHO, especially in the second half of the season. Yes, he's 31 and never really made a mark in the bigs up until the past season. However, I think he has the tools to be a good bullpen piece--mid 90s fastball, improved command and much improved changeup--for next year and perhaps beyond. 

I would advocate keeping him on the staff with a tender. The two other pitchers who are close calls would be Cotton and Coulombe and I would think they both should be nontendered, but perhaps offered a minor league contract and spring training invitation.