• Create Account

Joe West wins lawsuit against Lo Duca

What I don't understand is how this even went to trial, instead of LoDuca reaching some kind of settlement. A public apology and retraction surely would have saved him some dough. He earned $30M during his career so presumably this award won't bankrupt him, but still, common sense should have prevailed.

What I don't understand is how this even went to trial, instead of LoDuca reaching some kind of settlement. A public apology and retraction surely would have saved him some dough. He earned $30M during his career so presumably this award won't bankrupt him, but still, common sense should have prevailed.

Not to mention that if West truly is concerned about his legacy, a retraction by LoDuca would have probably been more valuable to him than the cash award.

I suppose it's possible that LoDuca, just like the rest of the baseball loving world, dislikes West so much that he'd rather eat dirt than publicly support him.

And to be clear, I'm team West in this dispute. Wow, sentences you'd never expect to type.

I don't understand how LoDuca could even make that claim since it was so easy to disprove. Why would he make that up? I'd love to know if there was a kernel of truth there or if it is just the result of concussions.

Maybe Country Joe will take his money and retire, leaving baseball in a potentially better place. There's been some pretty bad umpiring so far this season, so replacing him might not be as much of an upgrade as I'd like to think. I don't think he's a terrible ball and strike guy, compared to some others. He just thinks he's the show. At least a robot is unlikely to change its demeanor, thinking the fans paid to come watch the robot.

I don't understand how LoDuca could even make that claim since it was so easy to disprove. Why would he make that up? I'd love to know if there was a kernel of truth there or if it is just the result of concussions.

I'd guess he had a big radio interview, knew he needed an anecdote or two and thought, "Hey, everyone hates Joe West!" but wasn't smart enough to realize his lies were easily check-able.

He did wear the tools of ignorance after all.