Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Oldgoat_MN

Verified Member
  • Posts

    2,437
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Oldgoat_MN

  1. I'm with the 'one more year' crowd. If it fails, put him in the BP next year. Our lineup for the BP is looking strong. If we can get a couple of them to look like they can be a strong presence in the BP for competing teams we can flip them for promising SP prospects. Set you back a couple years, but SP are where we need depth. No one has 'too much' SP depth. Well, maybe the Dodgers.
  2. Perhaps I'm wrong, but having a kid with this little experience ranked this high seems somewhat unusual for you, Seth. Hopefully Wander continues to put up comical numbers. He will be fun to keep an eye on.
  3. FWIW: Fangraphs projection for the Twins pitchers forecast the following: Tyler Duffey..........3.77 FIP Michael Tonkin......3.82 FIP Taylor Rogers.......3.83 FIP Glen Perkins.........3.87 FIP Buddy Boshers......3.90 FIP J.T. Chargois........3.95 FIP Brandon Kintzler....3.97 FIP Ryan Pressly........3.99 FIP The rest are over 4.0.
  4. Fun that each of you seem to appreciate each other. You've all done a great job! Thank you. And that one filter you have, where Seth can't read what we say? Those threads are priceless!
  5. Kohl Stewart.......... 51.2 innings in A+ ball in 2016....7.7 SO/9....1.123 WHIP upon repeating that level. Fernando Romero....62.1 innings in A+ ball in 2016.. .9.4 SO/9....0.930 WHIP upon his introduction to that level. The 22 year old I'm betting on is named Romero.
  6. I sure hope this is the problem. We keep hearing that his FB has movement and that his slider is good, but who goes anywhere with K/9 and WHIP numbers like those? It's almost as if the ERA numbers are just a mirage. Hard to get on this bandwagon until we see more Ks and better control.
  7. I had to go back and look at Thorpe's stats. All I remembered is that I was really excited about him a few years ago. Hopefully now, at the ripe old age of 21, he can get back on track. Two years off is a long time, but the kid clearly had talent.
  8. SIERA and xFIP like Trevor May. He had a HR/FB of 15.2% last year, so that wasn't helpful. The HRs are likely to come down toward the average of 10% which would make a big difference to May's success. If he can issue fewer walks I think he is going to be fine, This should be fun.
  9. As a big Twins fan, I had people wondering why I was saying that 2015 was based on luck then being pessimistic about last season (I didn't expect it too be that bad). Now I find myself curiously optimistic. I think .500 is asking too much, but I'm rather anxious to see how the younger players perform. Nice article. Thanks
  10. Thanks for this John. It's fun to get a feel of how things came together. And congratulations. Hope you're proud!
  11. Congratulations to you and your co-workers. You've created a place that is very addictive to some of us others who love the game as you all clearly do. Thank you
  12. I really believe that he and Gibson are on thin ice. Either is susceptible to having their Starting Pitcher card pulled. We need more than they have shown recently. I mean, sure we'd take Gibson's 2015 or Santiago's 2015, 2013 (better) or 2012 (best!), but neither are showing all that much from last year. Rebound after a single off year for Gibson? Or two years from Santiago? I hope they rebound and do well. We could use all the help we can get.
  13. A few >3.0 WAR pitchers in that ~8% crowd Go Berrios!
  14. I'm sure your numbers are all correct based on 100 innings. I was looking at qualified starters, which I think is like 160 innings. It's a custom table at FanGraphs, but maybe the link will work. Here
  15. Gordon - yeah, it looks like he can be a solid, average SS someday. That's great, but not what you might hope from a #5 pick. Romero - really anxious to see if he can keep close to the WHIP and K rate he's been showing! Diaz - why can't a guy who weighs 180 pounds figure out the outfield? If he can hit triples he can't be a statue. It would really help if he had some positional flexibility Jay - man I hope you're right! Javier - I really like it that you get excited by these really young players. This year should tell us a lot about him. Thanks Thrylos!
  16. If by 'drop that down to 5%' you mean that you expect it to jump 50% again when he comes up, I can appreciate that goal. I'm sure I do not need to tell you, Thrylos, that only 6 starting pitchers had a 5% or lower BB% in 2016. Your point is certainly valid. No SP with 160+ innings in MLB had a 12% BB rate. I also think, though, that if someone (limited number of people) coaches him well he can put up near the walk rates he was putting up in AAA. And yes, that coach is probably not on the Puerto Rico coaching staff. If he is we should hire him.
  17. I agree that Gibson should not be a lock. I also think he and Santiago are almost the same pitcher. Santiago is a little younger and has had more success, but neither is setting MLB pitching stats on fire. I suspect both to be on a short leash early on. Issues with either could result in a trip to the bullpen as they see what Mejia, Duffey or whoever else doesn't make the initial starting rotation has to offer.
  18. You have Adalberto Mejia as an option in the bullpen. I believe they want to see if he can be a starter,. We'll see.
  19. ... Blyleven has no history of any kind of diagnosis of a mental illness or dementia,... To be fair, he's never been tested for such.
  20. There were 25 DH last year with >= 100 at bats. Vargas was 8th in OPS, 9th in wRC+ and 5th in ISO. It wasn't luck either, as he was 12th in BABIP. I hope we get a chance to see what he is capable of.
  21. He has a career 103 OPS+ for his short career. I'm going to focus on his 123 OPS+ from last year. He got jerked around by his manager last year, as did several other players. He seldom started against LH pitchers, even though he had a 1.262 OPS against them. And as has been noted on this thread and others, he seems to get benched when he's hitting well. I think it would be foolish not give him a regular slot, whether that be as the 1B when a LH is pitching or to try him against everybody. Basically we do not yet know what he's capable of. Vargas' use is one of the reasons I have no confidence in this manager at all.
  22. What does Luis Arraez look like as a hitter? Does he have sufficient bat speed? What do the scouts say about him? For a 19 year old to post an .830 OPS in A ball is pretty sweet. I'd have more confidence in Gordon if he were to put up numbers like that at some level.
  23. I like it. Both EE and Polanco hit LH pitchers better than RH pitchers, too. Good idea.
  24. Good point. I don't know. He only pitched 22.1 innings last year (in MLB). He pitched 102 innings in 2013 and then 187 innings in 2015. Maybe they blew out his arm.
  25. Henderson Alvarez is projected by FanGraphs to have a 3.91 FIP this year. His ERA last season was 6.45 in spite of his FIP being 3.85. His WHIP and SO/9 were terrible. He's 26 years old. Was 2016 an off year for him or has he already lost it?
×
×
  • Create New...