Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

LastOnePicked

Verified Member
  • Posts

    1,959
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    10

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by LastOnePicked

  1. I didn't mind the shift to a rebuild ... but with the Pohads remaining in control, this isn't a rebuild. It's a demolished lot that ownership intends to let stand vacant for "asset appreciation." After the debacle of this week, I propose a new MLB ownership rule to coincide with any revenue sharing. If your team receives revenue sharing dollars and doesn't make it to the LCS within any 15-year span, you are required to sell the team back to MLB for the exact price you paid for it. MLB will then facilitate a sale to new owners, and any additional profit goes to support youth baseball.
  2. Because they know they're not competitive now and that they have no intention of being competitive in the future. Sell anyone you can. It's a sad, simple explanation.
  3. "If the Pohlads were surprised or taken aback by it" Nick, this may be the funniest thing you've ever written. You can't possibly think that the Pohlads pay even a microsecond's attention to fan response in any way, shape or form. That's an absolutely absurd thought, even as an "if." "Fans" are an abstract concept to them, and don't even factor into their equations. They get their money from the league now, and they're fine with that. They probably didn't even realize that fans weren't permitted in the stands during the COVID year. And that's what the stands will look like going forward.
  4. You're speaking Joe Pohlad's love language. I virtually guarantee they will trade Ryan in the offseason. They have no interest whatsoever in trying to build a winning team. They don't have the talent, the guts or the motivation. These minority stake investors are merely along for the asset appreciation ride, and maybe also the promise of amped-up revenue sharing.
  5. Here's the problem: that's already happened. Attendance is worse than a lot of the Metrodome days. The Pohlads will lobby for more revenue sharing, and they'll pocket the cash to make up for their loss of equity to their minority partners. They intend to run this as a failing business, because even in MLB, their assets will appreciate and their pockets will be lined with league revenue cash. That's the tragedy of all this. There is nothing - nothing - that fans can do that will hurt the Pohlads financially at this point. We may have animosity for them, but we don't even factor into their equations. They will field a fanless, worthless team for years and years to come. Tragic. At least, for those in MN who love professional baseball.
  6. Not a penny to this organization while the Pohlads are still involved. Not. a. single. penny. Their inability to say even a single thing about this team that rings with even a modicum of reality is stunning. Seriously. These are not the smartest people in the room. This is one of the worst run organizations in MLB, and this was supposed to be the Target Field "Golden Age" of Twins baseball. At this point, I'd rather see this team contracted than in the hands of a Pohlad. Not. a. penny.
  7. Contraction is more likely than relocation. And I'm getting to the point with this club that either of those options sounds preferable to more decades of Pohladball.
  8. I applaud the effort, but I don't think you've quite worked through the stages of grief yet. I hate to toss cold water, but ... 1) The Pohlads certainly knew of all of this before the trade deadline. What we all witnessed was a sell-off. There will be no payroll bump. In fact, they'll be looking to offload Lopez and Ryan in the offseason. 2) Why is this a silver lining? If I love an organization, the last thing in the world I want to hear is that a rich fool with more money than sense is excited about running that organization. 3) They would have already announced this, if that were the intent. No, they just needed cash, so they opened the door to investors. They have no intention of sharing their family legacy toys. 4) The minority partners could bring new ideas, sure. None of them will be listened to. Silver spooners tend to believe they're the smartest people in any room, despite any evidence to the contrary. 5) Come on. Buxton is loyal to the people who have paid him millions. I'd probably say the same if a Pohlad lined my pockets with a good contract after several injury years. Sorry, yesterday's news was absolutely the worse-case-scenario for this club moving forward. What am I saying? - I mean, for this stagnant club going nowhere.
  9. Cody ... this is silly. I'm guessing you know it's silly, too. Stability is not a value in and of itself. An old rudderless, oarless rowboat that bobs around in stagnant water is technically "stable" - but it's not going to get you anywhere nor is it going to bring you any joy. This is a losing, failing organization in desperate need of a leadership overhaul. Stability is the last thing this team - or any Twins fan - needs right now.
  10. Yeah, the trade deadline activity made this outcome very clear, so I'm not surprised. Frustrated, but not surprised, Don't believe a single word in that letter - they're going to run this thing at minimum salaries for the foreseeable and milk it for revenue sharing money. Despicable. There is no pathway ahead now for winning. Rebuild or no rebuild, the Pohlads aren't smart enough to put the right people in place to produce a winner. Even if somehow they luck into a nucleus of a championship team, they'll dismantle it at just the wrong time. There is no hope. We're now officially the Pittsburgh Pirates of the American League. Yet another sad day for Twins baseball.
  11. Oof. The blown-up Twins are a lot more fun that the pre-deadline Twins. A lot.
  12. It's stunning to me that, generally speaking, Twins territory doesn't get this. I'm certainly not saying everything that's gone wrong is his fault, but there's no clear reason why he should still be managing this team. Perhaps its a fear of change, or perhaps 2019 just solidified some idea of him as being the right guy here, I don't know. He seems like an A+ guy, sure, but his tenure here is a C- at best.
  13. There is no hope for '26, no. They just unloaded a bullpen that takes 2-3 years to build. They have no truly elite players at any position. The new owner would have to bring in a free agent class the likes of which this organization has never seen. There will be no contention in 2026, so there's no reason to insert the usual qualifiers. The goal, from my perspective, is to develop top-tier talent over the next two years, paving the way for highly competitive baseball starting in 2028.
  14. Oh, you haven't heard? Twins just petitioned to extend the trade deadline. Apparently, they traded him this morning to the Savannah Bananas for a promising catcher.
  15. Good thoughts. If I were a billionaire, I'd make it my business to have the state fall in love with my team. I'd bring in the top coaching staff, the top baseball development minds. I'd make it clear that a title run is coming as soon as humanly possible. I'd make a Target Field experience unforgettable. It's also possible that I'd go from a billionaire a millionaire within just a few years, too.
  16. I'm still stumped by all of this, because I'd think it would be a much more attractive prospect to buy a fringy .500 team, replace the manager and a little dead weight and then bolster the roster for a World Series run, than it would be to buy a team that is absolutely gutted in terms of payroll and fan/player morale. Which is why I still think a sale is unlikely, unless the new buyer has no intentions of coming in and being competitive - and has already made that clear to the Pohlads. As usual, no matter how it's sliced, Twins fans pay the price for the organization's lack of vision and direction.
  17. I don't know. Each flashed some legitimate ability to succeed at the big-league level. I'm guessing another organization could have unlocked more. The Twins are just too good at getting less production out of more potential.
  18. This is why it would have been really, really nice to see what a change in managers could have potentially done for these guys. Maybe nothing. But maybe something. Baseball is just such an emotional game, and nobody seems to be able to help players like Miranda, Lewis and Julien adjust. Or even to distract them from their jitters. It might even have been helpful to have a manager that young players were afraid to disappoint, But we'll never know, because it will still be Rocco as these guys chase the last of their dreams in the Twins organization. Remind me again - why is he still managing the club after the fire sale?
  19. "I remember the Twins facing Urena when he was with the White Sox in 2023 and thinking it must feel rotten to have to watch Urena pitch for your team. Well karma giveth and taketh away," FINALLY! WE KNOW WHO TO BLAME FOR ALL OF THIS! Thanks a LOT, Hans! Great write-up, by the way. The humor peppered in there is appreciated.
  20. All good points, but I can't help but wonder if 5 inches hadn't made the difference between him being traded or staying. If that loud, long out in Dodger Stadium had instead gone over the wall tied the game, and if the Twins would have taken that crucial series, I can imagine a momentum shift big enough to see him as a part of a 2026 quick retool and a 2027 team comeback. Nah, nevermind. This team didn't have the gas.
  21. I'll buy. I've heard Mikulski Bog Lake is worth every penny.
  22. This. I want a rebuild, but part of a rebuild means putting these younger players into a position to be future contributors. I would love to see the Twins play .500 ball the rest of the way. And I think they need a new manager to instill some better habits. I'd also be pretty furious if I were a team that played my games against the pre-deadline Twins, where my chances of winning were about 50% - then to watch my competition get to play their games against the post-deadline Twins, where their chances of winning may be as high as 70%. It damages the integrity of a more balanced MLB schedule.
  23. Tell me how the post Trade Deadline is going without telling me how the post Trade Deadline is going ...
  24. In the aggregate, no. In fact, their spending is back to mid-90's Metrodome-era, relative to the league. They made a couple of splashes for a few years (which had been promised as a part of being gifted Target Field), and were never even in the top five spenders in the AL. Not once. They should have done more with what they had when they spent, yes. But I'm not going to applaud a legacy of below league-average spending.
  25. I'm gonna click "Like" for your thoughtful breakdown of the plan. Not because I like the plan.
×
×
  • Create New...