Jump to content
  • Create Account
  • Minnesota Twins 2021 MLB Draft Signing Tracker


    Andrew Thares

    With the 2021 MLB Draft in the rearview mirror, now it is time to sit back and see how many of their 21 picks the Minnesota Twins will sign. This is your one-stop shop to follow along.

    Image courtesy of Thiéres Rabelo

    In this year’s MLB Draft, the Twins had a pick in each of the 20 rounds, plus an additional pick in Competitive Balance Round A, which took place between rounds one and two. In total, they had 21 picks, with each of the first 11 counting towards their bonus pool. This year there allotment is $8,101,400 that they can spread out to sign those 11 picks. The deadline for the Twins to sign these picks is on 11:59 p.m. EDT on August 15th.

    A couple of other things to bear in mind regarding the bonus pool. If a player in one of the first ten rounds goes unsigned, that picks bonus pool allotment gets taken away from the Twins total. However, it is unlikely to happen, especially with this regime, as they have signed all 35 picks that they made in the first 10 rounds since taking over in 2017. Another thing worth noting, the Twins can sign any player selected after the 10th round for a signing bonus of up to $125,000 without it counting against their bonus pool allotment. Any money given to a player over that amount must come out of the bonus pool.

    (Be sure to check back regularly as the information below will be updated as Twins draft pick signings are announced)

    Bonus Pool Tracker

    Top 10 Round Picks Signed: 9 of 11 | Bonus Pool Used: $7,320,900 | Bonus Pool Remaining: $780,500

    Pick Signings

    Round 1: Chase Petty | RHP | Mainland Regional HS (NJ) | Slot Value: $2,653,400 | Signed For: Signed, $2,500,000 

    Comp Balance Round A: Noah Miller | SS | Ozaukee HS (WI) | Slot Value: $2,045,400 | Signed For: $1,700,000

    Round 2: Steve Hajjar | LHP | Michigan | Class: Junior | Slot Value: $1,129,700| Signed For: $1,129,700

    Round 3: Cade Povich | LHP | Nebraska | Class: Junior | Slot Value: $593,100 | Signed For: $500,000

    Povich was on Darren Wolfson's recent The Scoops podcast. Hear from the right-hander, as well as a long interview with Twins scouting director Sean Johnson. 

    Round 4: Christian Encarnacion-Strand | 3B | Class: Junior | Oklahoma State | Slot Value: $442,900 | Signed For: $442,900

    Round 5: Christian MacLeod | LHP | Mississippi State | Class: Junior | Slot Value: $327,200 | Signed For: Unsigned 

    MacLeod was on his local Huntsville, Alabama TV station, interviewed about winning a College World Series at Mississippi State and getting drafted by the Twins. 

    Round 6: Travis Adams | RHP | Sacramento State | Class: Junior | Slot Value: $253,300 | Signed For: $253,300

    Round 7: Jake Rucker | 3B | Tennessee | Class: Junior | Slot Value: $198,500 | Signed For: $250,000

     Jake Rucker talked about getting drafted out of Tennessee.  

    Round 8: Noah Cardenas | C | UCLA | Class: Junior | Slot Value: $164,700 | Signed For: Unsigned

    Round 9: Pat Winkel | C | UConn | Class: Junior | Slot Value: $150,500 | Signed For: $500,000 

    Round 10: Ernie Yake | SS | Gonzaga | Class: Senior | Slot Value: $142,700 | Signed For: $10,000 

    Round 11: Brandon Birdsell | RHP | Texas Tech | Class: Junior | Signed For: Unsigned

    Round 12: Kyler Fedko | OF | UConn | Class: Sophomore | Signed For: Signed

    Round 13: David Festa | RHP | Seaton Hall | Class: Junior | Signed For: $125,000

    Round 14: Pierson Ohl | RHP | Grand Canyon University | Class: Junior | Signed For: $100,000

    Round 15: Mikey Perez | SS | UCLA | Class: Senior | Signed For: Signed 

    We don't know much about the signing, but he's probably in Ft. Myers by now, according to championship UCLA Head Softball Coach and Mikey's mom, Kelly. We will update as we learn more. 

    And now we know... 

    Round 16: Jhonathan Lavallee | RHP | Long Beach State | Class: Senior | Signed For: Signed

    Round 17: Dylan Neuse | 2B | Texas Tech | Class: Senior | Signed For: Signed

    Again, we don't know if or when he will sign, but Neuse seemed pretty excited to be selected by the Twins. 

    Round 18: Mike Paredes | RHP | San Diego State | Class: Junior | Signed For: Unsigned

    Round 19: Jaylen Nowlin | LHP | Chipola College | Class: Junior College | Signed For: $160,000

    Round 20: Dillon Tatum | C | UC Irvine | Class: Junior | Signed For: Unsigned

    In addition, non-drafted players can sign for up to $20,000. We'll keep updated on those players as well. 

     

     Share

  • Twins Daily Video


  • User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    Featured Comments

    Liked what I read about Birdsell.  Expect he is going back to Texas Tech with the hope that a big spring will get him into the top couple rounds and much bigger money.

    What I read in the Strib was that most (all?) of the picks, other than Birdsell, were already in Fort Myers and official signings were ongoing.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Why did they draft Birdsell unless they were highly confident he would sign? He was their first pick on day 3. I have to believe that they were in contact with him prior to selecting him. I understand why he would go back to Texas Tech to try to improve his draft position, but I don’t understand why the Twins would have selected him unless they thought he would sign with them. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I'll believe Birdsell is going back to school once the deadline passes. Until then it just seems like a leverage tactic. And that's fine with me, it's his only opportunity to negotiate pay for a long time. Just feels like it'd make too much sense for both sides to eventually come to an agreement. We'll see.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 hour ago, roger said:

    Liked what I read about Birdsell.  Expect he is going back to Texas Tech with the hope that a big spring will get him into the top couple rounds and much bigger money.

    What I read in the Strib was that most (all?) of the picks, other than Birdsell, were already in Fort Myers and official signings were ongoing.

    I'm trying to post them as soon as I see them.  But we have about 6 so far. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    10 minutes ago, Tom Froemming said:

    I'll believe Birdsell is going back to school once the deadline passes. Until then it just seems like a leverage tactic. And that's fine with me, it's his only opportunity to negotiate pay for a long time. Just feels like it'd make too much sense for both sides to eventually come to an agreement. We'll see.

    I think this is a fair point. Edouard Julien was adament about going back to Auburn and then when they came back with the 5th round money, he signed. Could see the same here. As a senior next year, he'll have to be top 2 rounds probably to avoid being a 'senior sign' and get less than $200K... I don't think the Twins will go over that number. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    38 minutes ago, Twinsoholic said:

    Why did they draft Birdsell unless they were highly confident he would sign? He was their first pick on day 3. I have to believe that they were in contact with him prior to selecting him. I understand why he would go back to Texas Tech to try to improve his draft position, but I don’t understand why the Twins would have selected him unless they thought he would sign with them. 

    I think they thought he would sign... they were hoping to get a Top 5 round talent for $200K (certainly he would have wanted over the $125,000 number)... and he wanted to go back and see if he can get more. It's a risk for him, for sure. The Twins shot high and we'll see. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 hour ago, Seth Stohs said:

    I think they thought he would sign... they were hoping to get a Top 5 round talent for $200K (certainly he would have wanted over the $125,000 number)... and he wanted to go back and see if he can get more. It's a risk for him, for sure. The Twins shot high and we'll see. 

    For an 11th round pick, I am perfectly fine with the Twins taking a high risk, high reward type of player. In fact, I wish they did that more with the late round picks.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Phil Miller posted that the Twins signed 12 draft picks today in Ft. Myers. We tried to find images/tweets of them throughout the day, but I have now updated the players that have signed. To this point, we do not have contacts for anyone but Festa, but we'll keep digging. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Andrew/ Seth/ TD Staff:  Outstanding piece with this update!  Hopefully this "tracker" will be updated daily as picks---especially those unsigned in rounds 1-10--get signed in advance of the Aug. 15th deadline.  For those that are signed------what is "the plan" for these players the remainder of this season?  I'd assume they'll be assigned to FCL Twins team? If correct, how long does their season run?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    10 minutes ago, darwin22 said:

    Andrew/ Seth/ TD Staff:  Outstanding piece with this update!  Hopefully this "tracker" will be updated daily as picks---especially those unsigned in rounds 1-10--get signed in advance of the Aug. 15th deadline.  For those that are signed------what is "the plan" for these players the remainder of this season?  I'd assume they'll be assigned to FCL Twins team? If correct, how long does their season run?

    I think I updated it about 8 times today... and my guess is tomorrow will bring some more signings, and I know Chase Petty and Noah MIller are in Minneapolis and will sign this weekend.

    For these player... it'll be case by case. For some, they've worked enough innings. They'll just work out and go through other training. Pitchers may get a handful of innings in the FCL. Some might get to Ft. Myers. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    14 hours ago, Seth Stohs said:

    I think they thought he would sign... they were hoping to get a Top 5 round talent for $200K (certainly he would have wanted over the $125,000 number)... and he wanted to go back and see if he can get more. It's a risk for him, for sure. The Twins shot high and we'll see. 

    Expect the Twins and Birdsell may have another conversation once they get the Top 10 signed and know how much of the pool money they have available to spend.  Probably have a limit they don't want to go over and that may be $200K.  But nothing will be final until what is the date, August 15?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    15 hours ago, Tom Froemming said:

    I'll believe Birdsell is going back to school once the deadline passes. Until then it just seems like a leverage tactic. And that's fine with me, it's his only opportunity to negotiate pay for a long time. Just feels like it'd make too much sense for both sides to eventually come to an agreement. We'll see.

    I thought the same thing but not exactly a class move telling his team he is coming back if it's a negotiating tactic.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 hour ago, Major League Ready said:

    I thought the same thing but not exactly a class move telling his team he is coming back if it's a negotiating tactic.

    I actually don't have a problem with it. The way minor leaguers are paid, I don't blame him for wanting as much as he can get up front. And I would bet some on his team know exactly what he's doing. And maybe he really has decided to see if he goes higher next year.

    And it was kind of funny in another thread someone with the same last name commented that he thought Birdsell would be the first of this years draftees to make it to the majors.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    12 hours ago, Seth Stohs said:

    I think I updated it about 8 times today... and my guess is tomorrow will bring some more signings, and I know Chase Petty and Noah MIller are in Minneapolis and will sign this weekend.

    For these player... it'll be case by case. For some, they've worked enough innings. They'll just work out and go through other training. Pitchers may get a handful of innings in the FCL. Some might get to Ft. Myers. 

    Seth:  Thanks for your response.  Appreciate all the hard work yourself and all the other TD staff are doing.  

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    4 hours ago, Major League Ready said:

    I thought the same thing but not exactly a class move telling his team he is coming back if it's a negotiating tactic

    He’s a kid with a really tough decision to make. I am sure he feels a commitment to his teammates. I think it was simply a post of his emotions and his decision at the moment. He may well swing the other way when to comes time to sign.

    I can’t imagine that an agent would advise him such a post would actually cause the Twins to make a better offer. The Twins really need to wait and see who they have left to sign and allocate the remaining pool to maximize the talent they are bringing in. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    So, as of now, the top five picks have signed, and seven of the top eight; nine of the top 11.  Based on the MacLeod interview, it seems clear he will sign.  Across the top 10 picks, three signed at slot, and four (Petty, Miller, Povich, and Yake) signed under, and two signed over; Winkel got $350K over, and Rucker got $50K over.  
     

    The Twins have $323,600 in cap savings to spend on Birdsell/Cardenas/MacLeod, although it looks like they may have spent some of that on some of the 11-20 round picks.  What are the slot values for picks 11-20?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    On 7/29/2021 at 12:33 AM, HrbieFan said:

    Was he picked just to save money for other? Or was an injury discovered? 

    Yes, college seniors are drafted for $10K pretty regularly to save on cap space, And to give them the dream fulfilled of getting drafted by a major league team.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Seth,

    Now that the dust is settling on the crazy MLB trade deadline, we have the draft pick signing deadline to think about today. I see we have 5 unsigned draft picks as of right now. Are you hearing any buzz on any of these 5 players? Any buzz on if any of the 15 signed players are going to get some run with any of the minor league affiliates? Thanks.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

    Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...