Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Nate Roberts Released

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

The Twins and Ft. Myers Miracle announced (via the FSL transaction page at this point) that Nate Roberts has been released.

It's unfortunate, but he just has not been able to stay on the field. He's had several knee surgeries and then the rehabs and even now was putting in a lot of time daily to try to play (or after playing). 

Two years ago, he was healthy for the Arizona Fall League, and despite not playing above Low A, he led the league in BA, OBP and SLG!

Best wishes to him!!

#2 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

It's too bad about him. I really hoped to see what he could become. Injuries simply killed his career.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#3 BSP

BSP

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

I hope he gets another chance somewhere, he just has such potential. Can't fault the Twins here either as it's hard to justify sticking with an often-injured 25 year old in A+, even if can rake when healthy. I wonder if he can even be of any use in the outfield anymore with all of the injuries.

I'm Brett.

Tobias Fünke: I'm afraid I prematurely shot my wad on what was supposed to be a dry run if you will, so I'm afraid I have something of a mess on my hands.
Michael Bluth: There's so many poorly chosen words in that sentence.

#4 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

I am very surprised but I guess I shouldn't be. The guy could hit and it is a shame his body couldn't hold up.  Maybe he can rest up and give it one last try somewhere else?  That us sad news.

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

I hope he gets another shot somewhere too... that said, he can hardly run and it hurts him... 

#6 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

Best wishes to him -- I am really rooting to see that mustache in MLB someday!

#7 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

I often wonder if being 'released' is at the behest of the releasee. At some point (even during the season) you may realize that physical limitations make realizing your dream impossible, and you just say 'enough'.

#8 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

Sorry to hear it - that AFL season really put him on my radar. Best of luck to him.

#9 iastfan112

iastfan112

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

I remember he was a guy Sickels loved and after following his Appy League season it was easy to see why. Shame he couldn't get healthy, he just flat out hit when he was on the field.

#10 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:33 PM

Why actually release him? Can he actually not run?

#11 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:38 PM

What was his injury situation? Good god. Release this kind of talent? What a bizarre move. If he is injured again, let him sit. The guy shouldn't have been wasting time in A ball anyway, obviously. Roberts, healthy, could likely contend for an MLB spot.

#12 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:10 AM

I hope he gets another chance somewhere, he just has such potential. Can't fault the Twins here either as it's hard to justify sticking with an often-injured 25 year old in A+, even if can rake when healthy. I wonder if he can even be of any use in the outfield anymore with all of the injuries.

He shouldn't have been in A+. He was deserving of a AA spot at the beginning of last year! He is an injured AAA player, basically. Releasing him is absurd.

#13 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

What was his injury situation? Good god. Release this kind of talent? What a bizarre move. If he is injured again, let him sit. The guy shouldn't have been wasting time in A ball anyway, obviously. Roberts, healthy, could likely contend for an MLB spot.

Hyperbole aside...

He wasn't 'injured', but listen to Seth's story (on Hang Out and talk Twins) about the rigamarole he had to go through just to get on the field. Sometimes they have to put horses down, too.

• Tibs likes this