Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

The Great Hambino

Verified Member
  • Posts

    2,297
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    7

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by The Great Hambino

  1. I was curious, so I looked up team win total over/unders for 2026 Twins: 71.5, ahead of only the Nationals, White Sox, and Rockies If you think Fangraphs WAR is a better predictor of a team's season than Vegas, then good news: there are some massive money-making opportunities for you out there
  2. I suppose this is more of a "where are they not" than a "where are they now", but for old friend Carlos Correa, he will not be at the 2026 World Baseball Classic The reason? The insurer agreed upon by MLB and the union has deemed him uninsurable, and he'd risk forfeiting his contract if he got injured
  3. Since mutual options are never exercised, are they essentially just a mechanism to defer the buyout amount for a year?
  4. I guess Tyler Huntley wasn't available
  5. I don't think that would even do it. Max Fried got 8 years, $218 million. Ryan maybe (probably?) won't get all of that, but he won't be too far off. He's certainly not going to lock himself in to playing for considerably less than a qualifying offer
  6. I'm generally very pro-going for it on 4th down over taking the points ... but even I think it was insane for the Broncos to not take the field goal there given the way things are playing out
  7. Also now getting Rogers doesn't fill an open spot in the bullpen, he just replaces Ohl. Still needing a warm body to fill the pen and still only 19 pitchers on the 40. Is Julien really that necessary? I don't get it either
  8. That very well could be. It's also the kind of thing you do when you want to look like you're trying without actually trying. They have me very confused right now. Time will tell I guess
  9. It's their way of getting petty revenge for the Stewart trade. You sold us a lemon for James Outman? Well we're gonna swipe his doppelganger!
  10. If you'd asked me "what's the weirdest kind of move the Twins could make right now?", trading for a starting pitcher with one year of control would be toward the top of that list. Not good or bad necessarily, just ... weird. Flies in the face of everything else they've been doing. I'm not sure how I woulda felt about it if they'd sent, say, Culpepper and Abel out for Peralta (is that a fair approximation? I dunno). I'd certainly have a lot of follow-up questions But the fact that there was nothing on this until after the fact makes me think there wasn't really much to this, if anything at all. Kinda like how Terry Ryan would talk about being "in on" all these free agents they didn't sign. You don't get credit for thinking about almost making a move. You either make the move or you don't. No partial credit is given out in this course.
  11. I miss the Metrodome "Pay no attention to the seats behind the curtain"
  12. Which grades in particular do you have problems with? Skule average? In what, the UFL?
  13. You have a source for these indications? I can't find anything about SWR moving to the bullpen. Trading Larnach would be the only way Roden makes the opening day roster. He has options, Outman doesn't. That's how they operate. And even if they do choose Roden over Outman, it's only one trade acquisition making the team on opening day on the position player side.
  14. Why didn't they go full sell-off? Because they're operating under the misguided notion that merely retaining the big names from last year's failure constituted "doing something for the fans." They had Buxton, Lopez, and Ryan on the team last year and drew poorly from the beginning. But simply keeping them around will bring fans back? It makes zero sense. The team on paper at the beginning of last year was much better than the team on paper now. I would've much rather they finished the rebuild they began last year so that we could believe that there was some semblance of a plan - that 2028 was truly go time. And for the deadline sell-off that we were told was going to provide short-term as well as long-term impact? If everyone is healthy, there's a good chance that the only player acquired on the position player side on the opening day roster is James Outman. And if they're not willing to start converting starters to the bullpen immediately, then the only impact on the pitching side may be whomever they choose between Bradley and Abel to fill the last spot in the rotation - or potentially neither if Zebby is the choice (SWR and his lack of options will be in the rotation). Short-term impact indeed.
  15. It's a good value signing, but I'd pump the brakes on this fixing the bullpen or being a reliable high-leverage option Here's his historical K/9 starting with 2021 (his last year with the Twins): 13.2, 11.8, 11.1, 9.6, 9.4 If you squint, you can see a pattern that isn't too promising As for BB/9 over the same period: 1.8, 2.7, 4.4, 3.3 (hey, an improvement!), 4.1 (never mind) He's now 35, and his numbers show it. Prime Rogers ain't walking through that door And he's going to be competing with Cole Sands and a couple guys who've never pitched an inning of major-league relief to be the #1 high-leverage option to start the season. That is not the sign of a good bullpen. But it's still a worthwhile move. He's a better bet than whatever camp invite would've otherwise gotten this roster spot, and he's a good bet to be flipped for something of value at the deadline. Perhaps it buys them a little more time to let the young starter pecking order shake out - and by extension, identifying who should get moved to the pen
  16. The hiring team doesn't lose the pick. It's a compensatory pick in a special category that's tacked on to the 32 compensatory picks they dole out each year for losing free agents. So if there's no supplemental draft or penalties where a team is forfeiting a pick, then there would be more than 256 picks in the draft. In other words, it's a bonus pick created out of thin air. The Steelers lose no picks if they hire Flores
  17. If there's a criticism of McDaniel's time as a head coach, you could argue that he struggled to build a culture that could weather the storm in tough times - in hindsight, that whole "What cold? We're not cold. Can't you tell how not cold we are??" debacle in the playoffs in KC looks like an inflection point in the direction of his tenure. He won't have to be a culture builder at all under Harbaugh. I think this partnership has a very high ceiling, especially if Slater and Alt can ever manage to be healthy at the same time.
  18. If by FA you mean minor-league signing with spring training invite, then yes I put the over/under of members of the opening day bullpen that fit this description at 1.5
  19. They're all in on this strategy of building the bullpen out of the things you can find in the center console of your car. And while I think it's a dumb strategy for immediate contention doomed to failure and a diminished return on their most valuable assets, I'd have been even more annoyed if they'd shipped out their bullpen partly in the name of rebalancing their limited resources to other parts of the roster only to turn around and spend more on worse relievers than they had shipped out. They've committed to a cheap bullpen, so the detriment of spending what they have on the catcher position is a little diminished to me. Plus the fact that it's a two-year guarantee - no opt outs, not option years, an actual two-year contract - means they actually have someone able to play the position in 2027 that's beyond replacement level. Partly because of that, it's actually my favorite move they've made this offseason.
  20. I am also, and now see the same message I also checked last year, and that same redemption occurred in November. That seems like a really strange difference to me. Like they postponed it waiting on the limited partner situation and then forgot to do it. Or they're changing how they price/tier the tickets. I dunno. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing that's ideal to start in January
  21. What? What are they waiting for? I suppose this means you're one of the few that has asked this question
  22. I'm surprised he was able to override his internal programming and crack a smile after the win
  23. I don't think Saleh really got a fair shake in New York with the clown show that was going on around him. The defense certainly cratered after he left. I think he's still got a shot to be a good head coach, especially with lessons learned from the first time around. If that's really where the Steelers' job sits, then it was nice knowing you Flores I have no opinion of Hafley. If it weakens a division rival, then cool
  24. Has there been a corresponding roster move announced? How long do they have to announce it?
×
×
  • Create New...