Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

LastOnePicked

Verified Member
  • Posts

    1,959
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    10

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by LastOnePicked

  1. Sadly, I agree with this 100%. The Twins absolutely needed to go all in on the last playoff push, and they didn't. The big market teams have now the massive payroll advantages they always had AND all of the modern "moneyball" advantages in terms of development, analysis and strategy. The chances of winning it all for a team like the Twins are going to be increasingly small. They may make another minor playoff push over the next few years, but if it's led by the same people - or even the same philosophy - it will be a nibbling approach that maybe gets the team a wild card series win or two, nothing more. Rebuild until you build a juggernaut, but as we see with the Orioles, even that may not be enough against the elites.
  2. They don't really act like a team in the midst of a competitive window. And honestly, when the chips are down, the don't play like one either. We'll see if that changes, but I don't think they're in any way an improved club over last year, and last year gave them a fourth-place finish.
  3. I can imagine a few more pivotal moments for the franchise, including the first World Series year to establish legitimacy in the Dome, overcoming the contraction threat in the early 2000s with a winning team of piranhas and making the shift to an outdoor stadium. But I get what you're saying - the shift from the Pohlad era will be something to watch. I just don't think the Twins will be very good this year, and things might look pretty flat even as early as Memorial Day. If I'm right, I'm curious to see if the new owners become more hands-on in terms of calling for midseason coaching changes and either holding the roster steady for 2026 or pushing the FO for a teardown and rebuild at the trade deadline.
  4. Nothing on Earth would make me happier than for Connor Prielipp to prove me wrong and to make a splash in the big leagues. Nothing. Well, maybe world peace. But it's a close #2.
  5. 4th? Really? Petriello does realize that there are more than five teams in the AL, right? I mean, maybe. But the amount of added roster talent it would take to cover for the all-but-guaranteed Buxton, Correa and Lewis injuries would be very costly. I think "likely durability" should have been a factor in the rankings.
  6. I'll bet they see it as an option. In fact, it's probably the most likely option. A fire sale is probably the second most likely option.
  7. I can't see this not happening, actually. Correa is great, but he cannot and will not put this Twins team over the top. For a great team, yes, he could be a difference maker. Here, he's being asked to carry too large a load and his contract is too large a burden. It was a big swing by the Twins to sign him - and while not a miss, maybe just a loud warning track out. It's rebuild time.
  8. Excellent article. There are certain "intangibles" in baseball that, when a team doesn't have them, the effects are certainly tangible. It's great to see a TD writer try to wrap some commentary around these aspects. The Twins have a clear energy deficit, I agree.
  9. Well, if this is how the rebuild starts, then this is how it starts. The only thing that would soften the sting would be if a new owner was more likely. Look, I think they should go for it next year. I think they should have gone for it last year. But if they're just going to hold steady, they won't win in 2025. That means it's time to tear off this band-aid, let the kids get more lumps and let the rebuild begin. They don't always work, but rebuilds are the reason why the Royals and Tigers just had a resurgent postseason. It's the only recourse for low-revenue teams with low-interest ownership and anything less than stellar player development.
  10. Very. Very excited. Not because payroll will erupt (it won't). Not because there's some Steve Cohen Jr. out there just dying to field a WS dynasty team in flyover country (there isn't). Be excited because the Twins were at a dead end, owned by people who have no discernible interest in winning and also no great acumen for running the business. It's not just that the Twins haven't won it all - it's that they aren't an exciting or sharp organization. My guess is that Twins executive leadership has left millions on the table in revenue with poor decision-making. The Twins once owned this state in terms of fandom. 1987 and 1991 were a long time ago, but many of us are still alive. It wouldn't take too much to heat this franchise back up again. New ownership would be coming aboard at a rocky time for baseball, sure, but to the right people, that's what opportunity looks like. Could be a heck of a good ride. I'd be here for it.
  11. In. Lemme see what I can find between the couch cushions.
  12. I hope it's clear that I really like those two. I would love to see them each have the playoff run of the careers next year. I just don't ever again expect to see either of them play 100 games a season. This team is going to have to find a way to carry them into the playoffs. And if that pressure is solely on the "cheap guys," Lewis and other young players are probably going to feel pretty irritated in the process.
  13. Is anyone here a lawyer? According to the third paragraph, it sounds like we're already the co-owners. We all better get a chunk of the sale price.
  14. I love this news. As it is, the Twins are settling in as one of the also-rans of the American League. Beautiful ballpark, occasional playoff appearances, and no real motivation for a title. I remember when Correa signed here again in 2023, an ESPN commentator said something like, "I don't know why he chose Minnesota. They don't win. He's not going to win anything there." The word is out about this organization. New ownership group might be terrible, making the pathway to a title seem pretty distant. I can't possibly see how that's different from what we're already experiencing. Compared to the league, the Twins are already back to Metrodome-era spending. New ownership - for personal or business reasons - might see a winning Twins team as a priority. That would truly be a game changer.
  15. No, it's not. But it could have been both/and. AND, it might have boosted the sale price a bit, too.
  16. Possibly to the Saints. For a coach to be named later.
  17. "Is Correa untradeable?" Yes. Yes he is. Few teams wanted take on that salary after the red flags raised by medical assessments made during his free agent year. And now, after two years of foot injuries that have derailed his seasons? Absolutely not. No one else would take Buxton or Correa. They are ours. If the Pohlads were smart, they'd embrace that, bolster the roster around them and try to make one last playoff run with this dinged-up duo. Otherwise, they're just going to rot away on a perpetually "retooling" fourth-place club.
  18. That's about 50 cents too much. And I would hope I can quit any time - the team certainly did. Some of this is just sour griping. I've wanted to stream the Twins like this for years. I just really hope they'll be worth watching.
  19. They had to know this shift was coming. Wouldn't it have made sense to keep fan momentum building in 2024, so that you can sign up 35K subscribers before opening day 2025, instead of the 8-10K they'll likely get after this season's debacle. I like the potential pricing being mentioned here, but not to watch this Twins team. Give me a feisty, fast and fundamentally sound team, sure. Not these Twins.
  20. I love your optimism, and it was a great post. However, that "something unexplainable" was entirely explainable. They have a roster filled with significant injury histories, they have a manager that has failed to get them big-game ready (especially younger players) and their division competition is on the rise. Here's the problem: all of those things are even more true in 2025. But keep the optimism. We'll see how the retooling turns out.
  21. Good article, and I liked the analogy about an under-funded public school. Here's the problem, though: districts in Kansas City and Cleveland received less funding, and their students performed better. That would signal a problem with the way money is spent here. And I do think they should have spent more (about $170M) this year, absolutely. You invest in Buxton and Correa and you have a not-terrible offseason the year before, you crank that competitive window open and you go for it. Otherwise, Correa and Buxton are just anchors. I would love it if the Pohlads were fanatics for the team - that'd be wonderful. They're not. So I just wish they'd put emphasis on building a smarter business. Get people back into baseball here. Have better communications, better promotions. Go out and get the best coaching staff and make a lean, feisty team. Gear up for the next competitive window, once you have a few durable stars and a top-tier pitching staff.
  22. "Look through that window, Joe. That's Tiny Tim. He thought the Twins were going to make the playoffs again this year. He thought he'd maybe see his favorite team grab a few free agent pitchers, build off their 2024 postseason and make a run at a title. He may not see another year after 2025, Joe. If these trends continue, I see an empty little seat at Target Field. Actually, I see lots of empty seats."
  23. You're assuming that this organization believes in consequences. Not a safe assumption. Excuses they're great at. Top 5 in baseball. Consequences, no.
  24. This team has many problems, but Rocco is one of them and a significant one. It would have been much wiser to fire him, because ... If the roster the Twins field in 2025 truly does have a chance for a postseason run in 2025, then now is the perfect time to see what a new manager can do with this club. Will the play be more fundamentally sound? Less of a laissez faire attitude in the clubhouse? Better use of relievers and pinch hitters? More clutch performances? We've already seen how far Rocco can take a winning club in October, and it's not far. Why not see if another coach can take them farther? Or, if the roster in 2025 isn't built for success, now is a good time to audition a new staff. Don't be afraid to rotate the position for a few years, if needed. Get a feel for who communicates well. Let a new manager get started on the ground floor with a rebuilding or retooling team. I'm glad that there seems to be general consensus that this should be Rocco's last chance, but I'm hoping there will be some urgency and some fan pressure for a change if/when this team is in 4th or fifth place come June. When this team's chance does come again, Rocco is clearly not the person to get them to the next level. The sooner the organization realizes this, the better.
×
×
  • Create New...