Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

LastOnePicked

Verified Member
  • Posts

    1,959
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    10

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by LastOnePicked

  1. "The team had some rotten luck early that made them seem worse than they really are. The team is now having some crazy good luck that makes them seem better than they actually are." About this "crazy good luck" you mention. Is it possible to get more of it?
  2. Can anybody explain to me what the h%ll is going on?! I had just settled down to hate this team until at least September.
  3. I was pretty sure the week would happen. I just didn't think the Twins would win all of the games in it.
  4. Basically, since that unfortunate comedy post about the dearly departed Pope Francis, the Twins are on fire and the new Pope is a White Sox fan. The Lord works in mysterious ways.
  5. They should really make these guys a deal: lead the AL in pitching and you can burn these horrific jerseys.
  6. Haven't the last three seasons been like this, though? I love the winning. Let's hope it continues. But they dug themselves an early hole that gives them much less margin for error than their competition. I'm not at all certain that, even if the team rights the ship in May-June, we won't see a similar out-of-gas ending in August-September. But that's why we play the games anyway. Let's see what happens.
  7. Huh, similar roster construction strategies and similar organizational philosophies, and yet vastly different results? I think we should look at every possible factor why the Twins constantly fall short against them except managing and coaching. Clearly, that can't possibly be an issue.
  8. There are many problems with this team. Rocco is one of them. Many larger organizations have a "front office philosophy," sure. But there are always managers in those organizations whose divisions/departments consistently overperform. And then you have others who consistently underperform. Rocco has often been given a highly-touted farm system and a top AL Central payroll. And yet, after last season's collapse, here we are again - a team that should certainly be better than what they are. Managers matter. It's time to find a better one.
  9. “Rocco and the staff keep showing up ... That’s what I’m focused on.” Imagine running a MAJOR LEAGUE baseball team, and this is your standard for managerial and coaching success. Nothing else needs to be said. The core of this organization's failure is perfectly clear.
  10. "The curse, in this case, being the fan of a team capable of such consistent mediocrity." Are we following the same team? These Twins have a long way to go before they reach the heights of mediocrity.
  11. I just need to know when I'm supposed to touch grass about Baldelli. I guess they can't play the White Sox and Angels every series. Kidding, kidding. This team just doesn't have it. It's okay. Part of it is roster construction, part of it is terrible injury luck and part of it - I'm still convinced - is lack of preparation and motivation from the manager. It's just May. But it's so, so much closer to "over" than it should be.
  12. If Rocco can come to believe this, the team might be alright.
  13. Yup, we agree. Those were the teams on the schedule at that time. Glad we got that squared away. Let's see how they do against the next few foes. Regardless, I'm still calling for Baldelli's job. Let the galled jade wince ... my grass remains untouched.
  14. "perhaps those who called for Rocco Baldelli's job can touch some grass" Oof. Steady on there, champ. They just went 5-1 against the lowly White Sox and Angels at home. Let's revisit this after they play some better teams and maybe, maybe play .500 baseball for a few weeks.
  15. Third worst in AL. They've already dug themselves a 6 game hole. Aside from their other woes, they can't keep a phenom off the IL. It's not over until it's over. But over is a lot closer than we'd like.
  16. I cannot figure out the culture that surrounds this team. Many fans seem to think that a Twins managerial position is a lifetime appointment, and that firing Rocco is some kind of injustice. It's not. It is actually okay to fire a manager for a team's underperformance. It happens all across baseball and it has for years. It can shake players out of complacency, offer a team a new set of eyes and ears, and potentially change the tone and the play on the field. I cannot think of a team that needs this more than the MN Twins. Don't cry for Baldelli. He's been well compensated for his services. He will likely land another spot in MLB, probably like Tingler did. He has to know that this kind of pressure comes with the territory. The buck for abject on-the-field failure has to stop somewhere, folks. The FO has it's own problems, but there have been some okay trades and decent drafts. Ownership is awful, but they have funded a top AL Central payroll for awhile now. I'd be happy to replace either of these, too, but right now, the glaring issue remains a poorly managed, sluggish, sloppy baseball team. Baldelli is not in any way a fall guy. He hasn't earned the security he's receiving. It's long past time for a change if this organization has given any priority to winning during this window of contention.
  17. We're already so far, so far, past indefensible at this point. I don't care if they go 6-0, it's looooong past time for a change in the dugout.
  18. I have nothing whatsoever against the good people of New York ... but I love beating a New York team. Love it. The Twins may be an also-ran this year, but please, please, beat those elite payroll teams.
  19. Yup, poor Rocco. He was only given a roster predicted to contend for the AL Central title, a team with a farm system that people reliably reassured me is top 5 in baseball. But sure, he has no levers to pull. At what point is Rocco ever, ever part of the problem in your and Gleeman's equation? I mean, even if the poor man is routinely left "lever-less," then why doesn't he advocate for a better offseason? Why does he keep re-signing with an organization that supposedly sets him up for failure? Sorry. I'm not buying this. Every team outside of the NY/LA elites has gaps to fill. You have to inspire the best play from the talent you have. No one can convince me that Rocco is achieving this.
  20. Poor Aprils. Poor Septembers. If a manager is going to have an influence on preparedness, tone and feel for the game, it's probably in the way a team starts and ends a season. But if managers don't matter much, as some here suggest, then what could possibly be the harm in replacing him? I don't get the Rocco defense at this point. I think it's played out, and I don't think it holds water anymore. We've seen the results. The outcomes are clear. Yup, he's a good guy. He'd be a great neighbor. He's not a great manager. Let's go try and get one.
  21. That's true. They're just-sub-.500 not good. They're playing like sub-.300 not good. That's the problem. Hovering around .500 keeps you in the hunt until prospects arrive or trades are made. Playing 4-11 baseball in April puts you in a hole that's awfully hard to dig out from. No one here seems to think this is a great team, but remember that they were predicted to win the Central by several sources, so the talent on paper was certainly seen as better than what's materialized. This isn't a poor start. This is a historic disaster to start 2025, after a historic disaster to finish 2024. That kind of thing will usually get a manager fired. At least, in organizations that have some semblance of standards for achievement.
  22. Correa was on his way to being a first ballot Hall of Famer before being coached by Baldelli. It's not a great roster, but it's not a 4-11 roster. This is about the manager. It's long past time to shake up a complacent squad.
  23. You give this exact same roster to another manager, and they would not be 4-11. It's not just the minute decisions that lead to losses. It's the tone being set, the lack of confidence, the lack of a feel for the game. Stats can't define it, but play on the field reveals it over time. This is a Baldelli team. If they're not hitting home runs, they are totally lost. I cannot believe they kept him after last year. I can't believe he's still here to crater the team's chances again.
×
×
  • Create New...