Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

How to watch the Twins in 2021

mlb.tv youtube fox sports blackouts
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 11:11 AM

How to watch the Twins in 2021

(With vaccine and hot dog in hand!)

This post is about streaming video (those without cable/satellite TV service, aka "cord-cutters"). This post and its discussion will be limited to legal methods.

First and foremost, you should know if you are in the Twins TV market or not. This will determine MLB.TV blackout policy. Enter your zip code at this link to check:

https://www.mlb.com/...ut-restrictions

The Twins local blackout areas are all of Minnesota, Iowa, and both Dakotas, plus parts of east-central Wisconsin.

Outside the Twins TV market:

Get MLB.TV! You'll only be blacked out of the national TV games and any games where the Twins play the team in your local market. (You can also listen to all of the radio streams, which are not subject to blackout.)

MLB.TV is $130 for the season, less 35% if you are student or military -- or better yet, free if you are a T-Mobile or Sprint customer (or know one, or spend $5 to buy from one) and you sign up through April 5th. See details here:

http://twinsdaily.co...mers/?p=1018060

Inside the Twins TV market:

In 2015, there were zero streaming services carrying Fox Sports North (now Bally Sports North). A few years later, there were 5. Last year, we were down to 3. Now there can be only one: The Highlander AT&T TV.

For fans in Minnesota, the Dakotas, east-central Wisconsin, and western/nothern Iowa:

You can subscribe to AT&T TV to get streaming access to Bally Sports North. You can confirm channel availability by searching with your ZIP code here:

https://www.directv...._local_channels

You'll need their "Choice" level package or higher, and the monthly no-contract price for this package is $85. There should be no special fees or taxes beyond that, and since there is no contract, you can cancel at any time without penalty. This package also includes MLB Network, ESPN, FS1, and TBS, so you should have access to all nationally broadcast games too.

While that is a higher monthly price than other services from previous years, note that AT&T TV allows up to 3 devices to simultaneously sign in and watch outside your home, in addition to up to 20 devices within your home. I think you will also be able to use your AT&T TV login credentials to watch through the Bally Sports website/app when it launches March 31st, which wouldn't count toward your AT&T TV device limits.

For fans in the rest of Iowa:

While AT&T TV doesn't appear to carry Bally Sports North outside of western/northern Iowa (check your zip code at the link above to make sure), if an AT&T subscriber elsewhere shares the account with you, they can set the game to record on the AT&T cloud DVR and you can watch the recording, in progress, from anywhere.

All AT&T TV plans include 20 hours of cloud DVR in the base price. Recording the games on the DVR is probably recommended anyway, as the AT&T TV app doesn't let you pause or rewind live TV on most devices -- but you can do all that while watching a DVR recording, even one in progress.

In-Market wildcard: Bally Sports app
You can't subscribe directly to it for 2021, but the Bally Sports website and apps, launching March 31st, should allow you to sign in with a supported pay TV login (including AT&T TV) and stream Bally Sports North (as long as you are in a location where that pay TV provider offers Bally Sports North). This is especially useful as pay TV providers limit how many devices/locations can watch simultaneously, but Bally Sports North streams shouldn't count against those limits.

Summary

Use MLB.TV if you can, share a pay TV login for Bally Sports if you can, or split AT&T TV if you must.

Feel free to share your baseball streaming experiences in the comments.

Happy streaming! Go Twins!

#2 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,981 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Posted 30 March 2021 - 11:28 AM

No vaccine here yet ... in a different state and my group is not up yet ... but man, now I have to go get hot dogs!! Why'd you put that thought in my head? :)

• Nine of twelve likes this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#3 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 01:28 PM

No vaccine here yet ... in a different state and my group is not up yet ... but man, now I have to go get hot dogs!! Why'd you put that thought in my head? :)

Vaccinations are recommended before eating the hot dog. :)

• Squirrel and Nine of twelve like this

#4 Richard Swerdlick

Richard Swerdlick

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 199 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 03:17 AM

Cory and Danny are sounding better and better. If you are in MLB TV blackout area for the Twins you can still get MLB TV ( free if you have even a partial Twins season ticket) and watch replays and highlights of games. Plus you can scout the Whities and Indians.

• nokomismod likes this

#5 nokomismod

nokomismod

Twins & Gophers

• 472 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:31 AM

Yes, I think it's going to be mostly radio for this guy too. The upside with that is less time on couch.

• wabene likes this

#6 Lucas

Lucas

• 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 10:18 AM

I'm still looking for someone that would like to save some money and split the cost of AT&T TV! All of my friends/family that are Twins fans either have cable or live outside the Twins TV market (so they are using MLB.TV). I'd be happy to either start an AT&T TV account and have someone pay me for their share or pay a share on someone else's AT&T TV account (in either case, for the duration of the baseball season only). Send me a message if you're interested!

#7 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,338 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 02 April 2021 - 01:40 AM

Up here in Duluth we only have AM radio. The thing I can't wrap my head around is why are the radio streams blacked out? Would be so nice to just listen on my phone with high quality. You would think they want people to consume their product.

#8 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 01:58 PM

Up here in Duluth we only have AM radio. The thing I can't wrap my head around is why are the radio streams blacked out? Would be so nice to just listen on my phone with high quality. You would think they want people to consume their product.

Just to clarify: radio streams are NOT blacked out on MLB.com or in the MLB apps. But they do require a subscription. You can get a full MLB.TV subscription (which include all radio broadcasts as well as out-of-market live video) for free or cheap right now through April 5th if you follow instructions here:

http://twinsdaily.co...mers/?p=1018060

Otherwise, the radio-only subscription price is $20 for the season.

Individual radio stations generally don't stream the games online, though.

• wabene likes this

#9 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,338 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:35 PM

This is great, thanks spycake!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mlb.tv, youtube, fox sports, blackouts