Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Oldgoat_MN

Verified Member
  • Posts

    2,437
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Oldgoat_MN

  1. I feel compelled to leave a comment primarily because I saw Unbreakable for the first time just yesterday. There have certainly been a number of moves that have been puzzling. Had Ryan said this was a rebuilding year I would be OK with that. He said he expected the Twins to be competitive this year. If he really believed that then we have serious issues in the FO. Almost no one here at TD really thought that. And we're just avid fans, not full time baseball people. If he never really believed it, well, I don't appreciate any more than anyone else being lied to. Which is it? And is either of those acceptable?
  2. Fun stuff rikker49. Cannot see any reason Hicks would lead off next year. In fact I believe it is more possible that he starts the year in AAA than leading off for the Twins. Sadly, that 2014 lineup is not one I expect to score a great many runs. Hmmm...
  3. The real contradiction, in my book, is Terry Ryan insisting that we were going to be competitive this year, then fielding this SP rotation. Really makes you wonder... I'd have more respect for him had he acknowledged that this would be a rebuilding year.
  4. The defensive issues, whatever they are, are an issue. He's been catching in pro ball for years. How much better is he going to get? I don't know how far he is from MLB ready as a C. His bat does seem to look promising. I remain optimistic about Pinto, but I've been optimistic about a number of guys who never made it or simply got a cup of coffee. Apparently being a really good MLB player is quite difficult.
  5. September 30,2008 - Blackburn starts game 163 for the Twins against the White Sox. The one or two hits he gave up in 7 1/3 innings included, of course, that HR by Thome. It was a gallant effort. He certainly pitched well enough to win. Sadly, that was pretty much the highlight of his career. Great game.
  6. Nice article, Fluffy. Are you old enough to remember Dan Gladden? He still hangs around chasing, I don't know, quotes or something.
  7. MLB minimum is probably over $500,000 for 2014, so there's your first problem. Easily fixed, of course. I wonder if an agent would allow this. Were I an agent given a talent like Sano, I would want the player to sign something that assured his financial independence, but would be wary of going too far into potential FA years. Mauer's first contract was perfect. He got enough to live the rest of his life on, even if he is injured. The Twins locked up a great talent for 4 years at a good price. No telling what the market might be by the time Sano is 30. Interesting scenario.
  8. Thank you for the article. Lots of information. I believe something significant must come to pass before Danny is our 'franchise shortstop'. All the best to him.
  9. A lot of work Thry. Thank you. I have been impressed ever since someone (I cannot remember who, but someone with some credentials) said that Sano's upside was Miguel Cabrera. Big fun coming our way!
  10. I agree Thegrin. In addition, the guy is 27 years old and pitching in his first MLB game. He has done a fine job and can expect to pitch again the next week. Is this a good time to go pick a fight with your manager?
  11. I am usually of the opinion that these young men should spend a little time at each level. I still believe that. Sano is a special case, and his appearing for a couple of weeks with the Twins would increase ticket sales. He would also strikeout so often and hit so poorly he might realize he should not be as arrogant as he is. That might be the best thing about having him come up for a couple of weeks. I do not see a 40 man roster move being made to accommodate such a lesson to young Mr. Sano. And as far as ticket sales, I am more anxious to see Byron Buxton at Target Field. (not this year, please)
  12. When you have two poor hitters preceding Mauer it drives me crazy. Two outs to start the Twins half of the first inning. Mauer gets on. Did I mention at this point there are two out? Mutter mutter, mutter.... Having him bat second is far better, especially with the personnel we have.
  13. Brad, you are amazing. I especially like the way you ask yourself a question and start the answer with, "Good question!". I laughed out loud. A fun read.
  14. I agree that Mauer's value is greatest when he is behind the plate. I expect that he is working on framing as part of his effort to be the best that he can be. At least I hope so. One thing that is interesting to me is that the Molina brothers are 5'11", 5'11" and 6'0". Hank Conger, rated #1 for framing so far this year, is 6'1". Lucroy, who they also chat up, is 6'0". Is it more difficult for a tall man, such as Mauer, to make those borderline pitches look like strikes?
  15. Notice anything weird about that photo? It does look surprisingly like the grip for a knuckleball. Wow. Great article.
  16. Perhaps it is more difficult to change leagues than I thought. Hmmm... It will likely be years before we know how these trades worked out. Too bad for Ben. He had just started successfully gathering a lot of Phillies phans into his corner after a terrible start.
  17. I am frequently frustrated to read comments where people want a huge upgrade at SS. As if there are many a Tulo out there waiting for a job. We are getting surprisingly good D out of our MI. At least I, for one, am pleased with the defense we are getting from out middle infielders. And, at the beginning of the year I believed that Escobar would be replacing Floriman at some point. No more. His hitting, while not stellar, has come across as better than I had dared hope, too. Florimon rocks! I feel that we have an excellent SS for the next several years in Pedro.
  18. Over the last few years the fans have clamoured for Vavra to be let go and finally Terry Ryan made it a reality after the 2012 season. So what did that change do for the Twins? The team is hitting worse than ever and yet I have not heard a single utterance of getting rid of Brunansky. So why is no one complaining about the job that Bruno is doing as the hitting coach for a team that claims that they are only interested in results? It seems like a pretty fair number of Twins players have left the Twins and gone on to hit better for other teams. (Hunter, Bartlett, Ramos, Cuddyer at age 34?) Is Bruno perfect? No. Is he better than Vavra? I'm willing to give him some rope to play with. This is only year one.
  19. I appreciate the rating of offense (9) and defensive (2) being the same as offensive (2) and defense (9). Your pitching staff, however, does not. This can be a really big deal to a group of players most of whom have a screw loose already. (this coming from a former catcher)
  20. Perkins offers us something we really appreciate right now; an excellent chance to win games we lead going into the ninth inning. Detroit has some horrible numbers from their bullpen. No wonder they might pay heavily for Perkins. The downside is that Perkins then plays for the Tigers. I know many feel the closer role is overrated. However, how bad would our record be without Glen? With Perkins embracing available wisdom from the likes of Maddux and the study of SABR stats, etc., he is clearly committed to improving. He could be really good for a long time. Another team would have to make us an offer we couldn't refuse.
  21. A sobering point and one we need to keep in mind. Sano and Buxton, along with Rosario, have many Twins fans excited. Me, too. Still, they are a long way from MLB. Patience, fans, patience.
  22. Great breakdown. Thank you. 2004 was the toughest for me. The Twins scored runs. Plenty of them. It was probably not as frustrating for me as it was for Joe Nathan.
  23. Wow, a 17 year old SS? Youngest player on the list. Hmmm...
  24. Glen Perkins for Matthew Summers Of all these interesting ideas, this was the worst. It was your way-offiest. Fun stuff to think about.
×
×
  • Create New...