Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Oldgoat_MN

Verified Member
  • Posts

    2,437
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Oldgoat_MN

  1. If he can get to AA this year that would be splendid. Hitting well in low A ball does not insure future success, but it sounds like he has great potential. There just aren't that many good hitters at 2B. It would be fun to see the Twins have one again.
  2. The calculations to arrive at WAR are sure to be refined over time, but I think it has clear value. It appears that MI is an ongoing issue for all MLB teams. An excellent fielding SS who can hit well is sadly rare. I suppose it's helpful to know the Twins aren't the only team struggling at MI. Gagne was special. A guy you could really count on. And some of us remember Zoilo Versalles. He was fun to watch.
  3. Jim Merritt? That rattled my memory. I liked Dave Boswell, too, but mostly because he got in a fight with Billy Martin when Martin was our manager. Fun list. Reminds us how dominate Liriano could be when he was 'on'. Remember? That one game each month? (the 2005, 2006 numbers don't hurt his average - 12.5/9, 10.7/9)
  4. Great article, great comments. I more highly value a guy closer to the big league level than players in lower levels. That said, I would take Arcia. He has nothing left to prove in AA. High average, real power, everyday player. Has the arm to play LF or RF. He's young and will be with the Twins for a long time. He's my pick.
  5. Oldgoat_MN

    Worm Hunting

    To leave Hicks in the minors for a couple of months seems to make sense. I like Benson, but he does not have the ceiling of a Hicks (defensively speaking) or Arcia (offensively speaking). If he can cut it, he is the perfect player to have as the CF or 4th outfielder to start the season.
  6. Obviously this has to happen. Would it be on Animal Planet, Syfy, TLC? Please advise.
  7. Thank you, Brad, for a very interesting article on a very strange stat. Get some rest.
  8. Nice write up Codey. Thank you. There is not a team in MLB that doesn't wish THEY had signed that contract with Willingham. Any production close to last year would be wonderful.
  9. I don't know who is inside that suit, but he has the patience of a saint. (pretty sure it is a male) I've seen him hounded by kids and he's always so good to them. I'm a nice guy, but I don't know if I could do that.
  10. Not Arcia! The Yankees would find Willingham's contract appealing. They are working pretty hard to lower payroll. Sadly, they too are looking in their own farm system for a SS, so probably couldn't get one from them.
  11. I sat behind home plate (up a ways, not the Champions Club) once when Deduno was pitching. Certainly lacks consistancy and I don't know that it will magically show up now that he is 29 years old, but when he's on he is really fun to watch. I like Worley as the opening day starter, but I would guess that it's a little more political/ego based than I know. Thank Cody.
  12. Thanks beckmt. Thought provoking article. I would probably add Plouffe to the list. In the minor leagues until 2011 he never had an OPS greater than .736. That is not a stat that screams "big league third baseman!". His OPS for June and July were excellent, but the rest of the year was pretty weak. We all hope he found his swing, but I can't imagine where it was hiding for 7 years.
  13. very similar to Miguel Sano’s at the same age A year apart age-wise (Sano @ 19, Arcia @ 20) in low A ball. Sano hit: .258/.373/.521 and Arcia hit: .352/.420/.704 (1.124 OPS) Last year in AA Acia hit: .328/.398/..557 as the youngest member of the Rock Cats. I have high hopes for Sano, but Arcia is the guy I am really excited about.
  14. Of course I wish the very best for Sano and the Twins. I know he was the youngest player on the team. Still, there seems a long bridge between hitting .258 in low A ball and being a star in MLB. Hope that all comes to pass. And as for my own 'over exuberance', I still think Arcia is the real deal. Hope they both become super-stars.
  15. Glad to see they are taking steps to insure the safety of our team. Good investigative journalism. Thank you (no mention of snow shoveling, though)
  16. There is no reason to rush him since he is so young. There is also no reason to hold him back if he's ready. Would be great to see him as a September call up in 2014. Bert Blyleven was 10-9 with a 3.18 ERA when he was 19 years old. (yes, I know, different era - but still..)
  17. ericchri - Your plus/minus system is amazing. The brilliance behind it is absolutely elusive! The science is mythical! The best example of the 'hunch-theory' logic I've ever seen. I look forward to your next post. (105 wins.... can't wait...)
  18. Trading Morneau now is indefensible. We already have issues/questions at every other infield position except catcher. We have one outfielder we are all confident in. Morneau showed signs of excellence at times last year. This is the year we will find out if he got his groove back. To trade him now could only be seen as a salary dump. If we don't have confidence in him why would any other team? He would bring next to nothing in a trade. Morneau says he doesn't know what the future holds. None of us do. I didn't read anything he said to mean 'I want out of here'. Maybe he gets traded at the deadline, I certainly don't know what's going to happen. But to trade him now makes no sense at all.
  19. Nice article by Parker about some changes to Dozier's swing. Hope that helps him. Plouffe can hit with power, but that seems new. He was not historically a masher in the minor leagues. There was no reason to expect an OPS of > .750. Maybe there is now? Best wishes to Benson. Was AA pitching the best he could master? Will he show us all that he will be hard to keep out of the lineup? Stay tuned! Gardy - I'll save my comments for another blog. Thank you Brad!
  20. The coaches must think Spring Training is good for something. Every now and then a player forces himself onto a team. Albert Pujols - 2001, Kent Hrbek - 1982. Whether it be footwork, follow-through or whatever, the coaches seem to think they learn a lot about the players.
  21. I am the most optimistic about Arcia & Rosario, in that order. Of course, I sure hope Sano winds up being all he's hyped up to be.
  22. Anyone who gathers their lessons from baseball is a wise person, indeed. Thank you sbknudson. A wise person are you.
  23. Very nice article Physics Guy. Thank you. When we look at how Dozier hit last year after skipping AAA it makes me think that starting Hicks at CF this year would be a mistake. He has not been a monster at every level. He has taken some time to get used to the pitching at each new level. Having players learn in MLB usually works eventually, but at the cost of a year of control and sometimes the confidence of the player.
  24. Fun recap of who's who. Enjoyed the "Don't be looking for these guys. They're not going to be there." Thank you Kirsten.
×
×
  • Create New...