Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Oldgoat_MN

Verified Member
  • Posts

    2,437
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Oldgoat_MN

  1. I think the fact that when we traded Herrmann we got a guy with an .857 OPS in A+ ball that should tell us that catchers are expensive. Trade from strength and trade for need. I'm not sure this was a great trade, but I'm not willing to hang TR for it.
  2. Gilmartin greatly outperformed Graham in 2015. Just sayin'. (catcher) Boyer had an ERA of 2.49 and an ERA+ of 167. Those are pretty good numbers, especially in our pen. (catcher) O'Rourke and Achter had very poor seasons statistics-wise. They are 27 and 26 years old, respectively. Not sure how the future looks terribly bright for either in MLB. As always, it will be interesting to see what TR does in the off-season. (catcher) Maybe someone can use subliminal messaging to get TR to address major needs.
  3. Really like your assessments, especially regarding Robinson. Don't know why there is such a keen angst toward this guy. He has done everything asked of him, and he's done it better than at any other point in his career. Be sure to thank him on his way out the door. After keeping Graham on the roster all year following a Rule 5 draft, I'd be surprised to see him go. I'm not suggesting that his stats or age (he's 25 years old) warrant a long term commitment, but they seem to have kept him around for something. TR trying to catch lightening in a bottle again? Had high hopes for Oliveros a few years back, and for Arcia recently. It will be interesting to see what happens to these two players.
  4. Great article. I'd add a really significant comment here, but Seth covered all the important points you didn't bring up.
  5. I agree completely. It would have been short sighted to trade away future assets to make the playoffs this year. I'll certainly be pleased if they make it, but this team is poised for the future. I am really excited about watching this team for the next several years. And we still need a killer ace in the rotation.
  6. I'm always curious when people point out that Berrios is only 6'0" tall. That is the same height as Johan Santana. He did pretty well for the Twins. If anyone is suggesting that Santana is unique, Bob Gibson was listed as 6'1" in a day when exaggerating was probably more prevalent than it is now. (and no, I did not go look up 20 old pitchers - I simply looked up Gibson because I always kinda liked him when I was young)
  7. I suspect the Cardinals were up to their evil tricks. The fun part is that the Twins over that 4 game spread scored an average of 2.125 runs per game while the Cards managed a measly 2 runs per game. I'd feel sorry for them if they weren't such cheaters.
  8. Hey! Nobody mentioned that Pelf is hitting 1.000! He's tied for the lead in MLB (probably with some other AL pitcher). Sure you can call it a small sample size, but remember, he's had not one at bat, but TWO!
  9. Count me as another who is surprised and delighted at the Pelfrey/Nolasco magic show. I thought I would be resigned all season every time these guys got a turn in the rotation. I know it's early, but I really have confidence in this team (no post-season predictions at this point). Nolasco still worries me aplenty, but I'm gaining confidence in both just the same. Have a starting rotation that is pretty damn good makes a world of difference. Just feeling a little sorry for Tommy Milone.
  10. Great article. Thanks John. I really wonder if May has a chance against Pelf & Milone. I'd really like May to get the ball, but unless he is unquestionably, unrealistically better I suspect we'll see one or both of the other guys penciled in before him. Or maybe not. There is, after all, a new coach in town...
  11. Thanks for this. Made me think of the early days at Met stadium. Very fun. You made me smile.
  12. Lots of things to think about here. Really appreciate the work jorgenwest. That the Twins have signed Nolasco and Santana to big contracts does not change the fact that they are league average pitchers, or were in their prime years. I am ever hopeful, but unless Hughes is able to show that last year was the real Phil Hughes we are going to be at a real statistical disadvantage in most games against the teams with good pitching staffs. Maybe even if it was the real Hughes we saw last year. I guess he only pitches, like, every fifth game.
  13. Interesting points, jorgansweet. Meyer's walk rate of 4.4/9 doesn't look too bad among the pitchers you highlight. We know the Twins are a little manic about walks, but maybe the new pitching coach will have a somewhat different attitude. Looking forward to seeing him in the majors this year!
  14. I have higher hopes for Danny Santana. He had 430 PA last year. That is a lot of time for opposing pitchers to find any glaring flaws. At that he still hit .358 in September. I expect him to regress, but I also expect him to be pretty solid.
  15. Can't see it for Mussina. He won 270 games playing for 8 years for a team that won very consistently. If Bert took 15 years to get to the Hall after the trashy teams he spent much of his time pitching for then Mussina will only get in as a Yankee star, not a real career All-Star.
  16. Hey AJ! Thank you for sharing this. Hope your new life is rich and fulfilling.
  17. I think it's interesting that a guy like Paul Molitor thinks that Torii can make a difference. He knows exactly what intangibles are. I know most people are focused on what Torii is going to do on the field. There is no question that everyone will know he's in the clubhouse. It might take some heat off this new manager and coaching staff to have Torii weighing in on a player who doesn't hustle. I have to trust that Molitor has a pretty good idea of what he's getting in Torii. Hope Molly is right, whatever he's thinking.
  18. Molly was the front runner. We all knew that. Sometimes the front runner wins. That should not come as a great surprise. Molly has been around. I am pulling for him to do a great job. Go Twins!
  19. With Buxton, Sano and Rosario all getting setbacks, this is really pleasant news. Anxious to see if Eddie can follow through. Good luck to him!
  20. I hope you're right. I think Dave Martinez would be a good choice. Seven years with Maddon should have him bring an interesting brand of baseball the the Twins.
  21. Shucks. I had such high hopes for Pinto.
  22. 4 brief comments... 1. Martinez is my first choice, and primarily because he played on several teams, both AL and NL, and has worked with Maddon. I have no idea if he speaks Spanish. I suspect we all know people with Spanish surnames who don't speak Spanish. 2. I don't think an older manager would be that big a deal. Nowhere is it written that the next manager has to keep his job for 10 to 15 years. 3. I cannot get behind bringing back any of the coaches except Bruno & Cuellar. Maybe I'm missing something, but those are the only two that look to me that they are making players better. 4. People ask, "Could another manager have lost fewer than 90 games with the rosters Gardy was given?" I say yes. Gardy could have, too. Get better coaches to work with these players. That is a way to make a team better.
  23. Thanks for the article. I invite you to seize the opportunity to let it go after 30 years. Perhaps Jim Pohlad will read this and get us an ace pitcher and a really good pitching coach.
  24. I just have to say I absolutely love this article. Don't necessarily know that I agree with Sano & Buxton starting right away in 2015, but I just love the rest of it. You said nothing of Rick Anderson, but I have to believe his departure would be part of it. It will be interesting to see what the off season brings.
×
×
  • Create New...