Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins Sign Chris Anderson (Centennial HS)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,551 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:52 PM

According to the below tweet from Darren Wolfson, the Twins have signed RHP Chris Anderson.

Anderson went to high school at Centennial HS in Circle Pines, MN. He went to Jacksonville University and became a first-round pick (18th overall) of the Dodgers in 2013.

The Dodgers released him earlier this week, and the Twins have signed him. He definitely hasn't been great. Last year, he struggled to a 4.81 ERA between High-A and Double-A. He also posted an 11.88 ERA in 6 starts in the AFL. 

But obviously there is some talent there. It costs the Twins almost nothing to sign him. Maybe they can find a way to get him right. For me, that's always worth the chance. They could also control his rights for the 2017, 2018 and 2019 seasons, so they can still be patient with him.

• glunn, Cory Engelhardt and Lefty74 like this

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,768 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

For argument's sake:

He is a non-prospect at this point.I have zero problems if they play him at Miracle, because that team is horrible.If they put him in the Chattanooga roster, even in the pen, he will take innings away from some who is worth it more.

Wonder whether the Twins would had pulled the trigger if he were from Alaska and not Minnesota.That Minny centric thing has to stop.It does only limit themselves.I hope that the new blood gets that...

• Mike Sixel likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,624 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:24 PM

Considering he was a first round pick that was released only a couple years earlier, I'm quite willing to give them a pass for signing him. No doubt they scouted him a ton.

• glunn and Lefty74 like this

#4 Lefty74

Lefty74

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

I'm not sure where this is coming from? Look at the Cleveland Indians, I think they have more MN kids than the Twins--off the top on my head-- Smith, Milbrath, Mingo, Goihl, Brown, Hentges and probably missing some. My impression is the Twins have been tougher on MN kids than some teams.....

For argument's sake:

He is a non-prospect at this point.I have zero problems if they play him at Miracle, because that team is horrible.If they put him in the Chattanooga roster, even in the pen, he will take innings away from some who is worth it more.

Wonder whether the Twins would had pulled the trigger if he were from Alaska and not Minnesota.That Minny centric thing has to stop.It does only limit themselves.I hope that the new blood gets that...

• Seth Stohs likes this

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,551 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:49 PM

For argument's sake:

My guess is that they'll keep him in Extended Spring Training for awhile and just see where he is at, work with him, get him into some EST games when they get going... and I would think that he would start in Ft. Myers, maybe even Cedar Rapids just to regain some success. But he's still just 24. He's less than 4 years from being a first-round pick for some reason, that reason being velocity or stuff or something. Maybe they can find it. 

There's no risk in bringing him in. No risk... potentially some minimal reward. 

And, it's very likely that the Twins were one of several teams to talk to him (I assume)... the fact that he's from Minnesota probably gave the Twins an advantage... I'm guessing the Twins offer to him wasn't more than others. 

And yes, I would say the same thing if it were another 1st round pick from 2012, 2013, 2014, regardless of where they were from.

• glunn, Cory Engelhardt and beckmt like this

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,551 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:51 PM

That Minny centric thing has to stop.It does only limit themselves.I hope that the new blood gets that...

Something silly that also needs to stop is this thinking that the Twins should stay away from Minnesota players or front office people or anything who has any relatives that ever lived in Minnesota. It's an old narrative.

And limiting themselves would be not signing a player because of where he is from... 

• Cory Engelhardt, Joe A. Preusser and WLFINN like this

#7 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:52 PM

Minny centric is not a thing in any way shape or form.

• Cory Engelhardt and Joe A. Preusser like this

#8 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:54 PM

For argument's sake:

There's always an advantage in bringing in local talent. The situation called for a low risk, high reward chance. No downside here. None.
  • Cory Engelhardt likes this

#9 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:28 PM

Last year's scouting report: http://www.truebluel...-prospects-2016

Looks like a Bull Pen arm in a couple years. Has the build to be a starter but has command problems and is inconsistent past 80ish pitches. Good pickup for practically nothing.
  • glunn likes this

#10 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:23 PM

I am pretty down on many things former management did, but this one never dawned on me, at least not as a tendency that contributed to the long string of losing. Can you elaborate?

#11 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:28 AM

My guess is that they'll keep him in Extended Spring Training for awhile and just see where he is at, work with him, get him into some EST games when they get going... and I would think that he would start in Ft. Myers, maybe even Cedar Rapids just to regain some success. But he's still just 24. He's less than 4 years from being a first-round pick for some reason, that reason being velocity or stuff or something. Maybe they can find it.

There's no risk in bringing him in. No risk... potentially some minimal reward.

And, it's very likely that the Twins were one of several teams to talk to him (I assume)... the fact that he's from Minnesota probably gave the Twins an advantage... I'm guessing the Twins offer to him wasn't more than others.

And yes, I would say the same thing if it were another 1st round pick from 2012, 2013, 2014, regardless of where they were from.

I'm fine with the move. It's probably a good move even.
But, "just 24" is not young in the least when you are talking about a guy going to A ball.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#12 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:08 AM

Good signing.

Minnesota centric?

Last year I suggested the Twins should have pursued Minnesotan Brad Hand when he was DFA'd. It was not well received here. They missed out on that local kid who was excellent in relief last year.