Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Oldgoat_MN

Verified Member
  • Posts

    2,437
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Oldgoat_MN

  1. An interesting article about a stat that appears to have nearly zero impact on wins. We all know that there are times when baserunning wins or loses a game. Pretty hard to see it in these stats, though. Odd stuff. Thank you
  2. Okay, let me start by saying this is an absolutely terrible idea. That is no reason not to have an article about it in the off-season. It shows creativity. It also shows why you don't write for Sports Illustrated. You be you, Allen.
  3. David HK - your comment made me look up Mark Portugal. Hadn't thought of him in years. After the Twins traded Portugal away for a relief pitcher who never got past A ball, he spent his next 8 years accumulating these stats:1257 IP, 3.96 FIP, 106 ERA+. The Twins missed something there.
  4. Surprising account of Kirilloff. His bad start in May and his recovery month of July really didn't sit well with some who make up these lists. Then Duran & Balazovic. A very interesting mix from what we're used to.
  5. Fun article to read. .682 OPS in May (119 PA) .910 OPS in June (55 PA) .665 OPS in July (117 PA) .851 OPS in August (114 PA) As he was over 2.5 years younger than the average age of his competition this appears to look promising. I certainly hope Kirilloff becomes the hitting machine you believe him to be.
  6. Both Bumgarner and Strasburg had better ERAs and FIPs going into their age 26 season. Still, I expect we will get a very good year from Jose. I look forward to it. And we apparently need to hope for near-career years from some other pitchers, too. Alas... Go Twins!
  7. Sorry. Can't help you. Atlanta & Seattle have no neighbors. I'll say I think you did pretty well, given what you have to work with...
  8. This entire comment was well worded. Jake Cave, when he started getting regular at bats in the second half, posted a line of: .306/.383/.581 (.964) I'd be running around the Winter Meetings with many buckets of KFC if the return was typically that good. Don't really understand the need to belittle players whom one doesn't particularly care for. Also, the article you referred to was interesting. "What’s been even better for the Marlins is that their pitching has been on a progressive climb upwards. Since the beginning of May, they rank 19th in fWAR, seventh in ERA, 16th in FIP, and 17th in strikeout-rate among the league." Is the author aware that there are only 15 teams in a league?
  9. Darvish came back very strong. His WHIP and OPS allowed were both better than Berrios managed in July, August and September. It also helps that the Cubs have covered $45M of his $126M contract. Any really good pitcher is going to be expensive and I like the idea of the Twins looking at every opportunity. If indeed the Cubs are trying to shed payroll (as suggested in MLBTR), this could be a great get for the Twins, depending on who they had to give up, of course.
  10. I would like to see the Twins add a top of the rotation starting pitcher. Not really sure Wheeler is that guy. His stats are above average, but not by a much. Maybe they'll trade for someone, using their prospect capital, but not paying $20M per year for an slightly above average pitcher will be difficult for me to get real upset about.
  11. He was probably our best pitcher against the Yankees. So, he's got that going for him. As the Twins attempt to stockpile fireballers, having a guy who throws much differently may be effective out of the bullpen. Good luck to him.
  12. Not sure how much of next year Dyson will even be available for. I suspect they'll sign CJ Cron. The Gibson issue is more complex. While he may have been injured, he simply wouldn't throw strikes when he should have. I hate him going to a 3-2 count nearly every at bat. I doubt the injury had a great deal to do with that.
  13. That made me LOL. I am SO anxious to see Cron at 2B!
  14. Something to think about. I think it’s interesting that I’ve not seen anybody talk about our internal options for catcher. At AAA, Tom Tellis had an OPS of .854 and Wilin Rosario had an OPS of .843. I don’t know how good they are defensively, but I’d be curious to hear from someone with more knowledge of their defensive capabilities at catcher. Garver seems like a really good bat to have in the lineup nearly every day. And while so many are anxious to move Sano to first, Carlos Beltran had his best defensive years, and his 3 Gold Gloves, at 3rd base after his age 25 season. Sano may never be a Beltran at 3b, but he can get better.
  15. I am far more optimistic against the Yankees than I would be were we facing the Astros. The Astros can be beat, but the Yankees, more readily so. I believe!
  16. 'Meaningless' is probably a little harsh. It does have it lose some of its charm, however...
  17. I fear Mr. Blomquist may be correct. These could be interesting games. Always surprised how you get these very special people to run stories on. You are clearly a gifted journalist!
  18. I think it's interesting that Terry Francona said he wouldn't be surprised to see Arraez win a batting title some day. High praise from a guy who knows the game and didn't have to offer that at all. I'm optimistic.
  19. I have regularly defended Eddie for the last 3 years while people have been calling for him to be traded. I felt vindicated early this year when it was clear that Eddie was one of the strongest hitters in baseball. Alas, his second half has been very poor. MLB average AVG/OBP/SLG (OPS) is: .253/.323/.436 (.760) Eddie's numbers for the second half are: .260/.273/.418 (.692) These are inadequate numbers from a corner outfielder. Injuries? Lack of discipline? I don't know. But the performance we are seeing now is far less than what we need. If Eddie returns to the Eddie from the months of April and May it would make a huge difference to this offense. Without that, we are better served by putting Cave, Arraez, Gonzales Astudillo or Adrianza out there. I agree. We badly need Eddie back to early season form.
  20. Again and again I am impressed with the high quality of the writing on this site. Really appreciate all of you authors. Thank you!
  21. At this point I really don't know why they don't have Berrios skip a start or two. He's of little value to us as he is now. Thanks for the article. Interesting stuff. I hope they get this kid back on track...
  22. There's something comforting about having someone like you to explain these odd events to us as well as you do. Thank you Stu.
  23. It's fun to see the home runs coming from all areas of the batting order. There are not a lot of times the opposing pitcher is thinking, 'Well, at least I don't have to worry about THIS guy'. Pretty good bet that Schoop & Polanco will join the 20+ home run group.
×
×
  • Create New...