Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Oldgoat_MN

Verified Member
  • Posts

    2,437
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Oldgoat_MN

  1. I think Brandon's point is that it is the sacrifice bunt that is a negative play. The statistics show that over and over again. Bunting for a hit is an exciting play. I like those as much as anyone.
  2. Interesting ideas. With names and everything. I like #1 and #2 of the starting pitching trades, though I would be surprised if either came to pass. McHugh did a nice job for the Astros and no one like MLB starting pitching depth than GMs. Norris could be really useful, though they would probably only trade him if their pitching coach decided Norris was never going to get his WHIP down. Fun stuff. I wonder if Falvine would try to turn Inglesias back into a starter?
  3. I think it's a little easy to be harsh on Kennys Vargas. Everybody wants the David Ortiz of 2016, but this is where Kennys ranks in the stats among the 23 players who had 100 PA or more in 2017 as DH: wRC+.... 10th OPS........ 8th WAR........ 9th Above average in each of these stats. Not Chili Davis, but not Jason Tyner, either.
  4. Lots of interesting moves Seth! IMHO the biggest weakness is the DH solution. Mark Reynolds had an OPS of .978 in Coors Field. His OPS away from home was .703, which was lower than the OPS posted by Kennys Vargas at home or away (.737, .780 respectively). I would keep Vargas rather than replacing him with someone like Reynolds.
  5. I will be surprised if May comes back to pitch very many innings next year after having pitched none innings this year. (outside of pre-season) I like Romero, but his 1.352 WHIP was a bit of a concern and his 8.6 K/9 in AA was good, not great. I believe he is a full year away. I would be less surprised if Thorpe helped the Twins this year. Unfortunately he will probably be limited to about 120 innings this year. Not as optimistic as some about these younger starters. I believe they are further away then is being bandied about. And I would be fine with being wrong about that.
  6. Way too many walks, but almost no one hits him so his WHIP is very good. With a K rate like he has there may really be something there. Best of luck to him!
  7. I'm guessing he doesn't get to pick his pitching coach.
  8. You'd like to think the ransom note wouldn't feature much in the way of repetition.
  9. I would like it to go that way. But Chapman isn't unbeatable, either.
  10. I have no problem with a player playing all nine positions. I think it's fun. But if you're going to do that, wouldn't you do it for a home game? You'd probably get some extra fans to come see this unusual event if it were at home. People who wanted to say, "I saw that game!". Don't understand it on the road.
  11. The Twins need to score runs. That's plural, as in more than one. If Molitor is having one of our better hitters laying down a sacrifice bunt in the early innings I would like to see Molly fired before they come back from New York. Other than that, go Molly! Go Twins!
  12. I am seldom shy about being critical of Molitor (though that's usually related to sacrifice bunts) so I have to say something here. I'm no expert at bullpen management, but I like Molly's approach last night. He saw the Twins were swinging hot bats. He did everything he could to give the boys a chance to win this game. I like it.
  13. I wouldn't fault either decision, but the start will go to Santana. The argument for Gibson is that the Yankees have never seen the new, improved Gibson, while they faced Santana recently. Not a terrible argument, either. If I were to put money on it I'd guess Santana.
  14. Have to play the hot hands. Mejia will have a chance to show if he can get through a lineup here in these last games. Colon is almost certainly not a good idea, but we have few options after Santana, Berrios and Gibson. At this point I would lean heavily toward Mejia, with Gee coming in to try to salvage a poor start by someone.
  15. There is an excellent (if abbreviated) discussion of fWAR, bWAR and WARP here.
  16. I noticed Rodriguez's numbers a few weeks ago and was curious why a guy that age and with those stats was being left in AA. I see that he did get 20 PA in AAA. I suppose with Hague doing pretty well and a need to see if Park was going to break out it left him with little room. Great lists, guys! Thank you
  17. I would like, by the end of next year, to believe that Mejia was part of the core. For that matter, by the end of next year I'd like to think Garver was clearly part of a solid future as well.
  18. This is really fun, Ted. Thank you. I would have gone with Jeremy's list. I still think Turley should get some time on the MLB hill, but that's hard to do in a Wild Card race. I like the Wells brothers, too. Nothing against Clark Beeker, but a 24 year old in A ball (two years older than the competition) who has a 5.9 K/9 rate... that command and control better be Maddux-like.
  19. The way that the rotation is lined up right now it appears that Santana would likely be the starter in a Wild Card playoff game. Should it come to that...
  20. Oldgoat_MN

    Review

    I suppose I could really be stubborn and insist that my 70-75 wins prediction is still in play, but even I know that is unlikely. The progress of the offense has been delightful and the defense has been awesome. I've seldom been so pleased to be wrong (a distant second to that woman I thought would never go out with me). Give this offense and this defense some pitching and post-season play would be almost unstoppable. That assumes, of course, no significant injuries next year.
  21. As one who has steadfastly defended Rosario pretty much all year, I don't even consider this criticism of him. He is an excellent hitter. He need not be great at stealing bases to be an asset to the team. As I believe you are pointing out, I think it's unwise to continually have players do things they are clearly not good at.
  22. But he doesn't see 'the error of his ways'. This is not the first game he has done this. Time and again, even early in a game he will play for one run, when with a bullpen like ours you want to put up crooked numbers. The Twins have one of the best offenses in the AL. Why would you give away outs? If the Twins win the World Series I would still want a different manager next year. ALL the stats show that bunting is usually a mistake. Especially when he has our hottest hitters doing it. I'm sorry, but that is just dumb. And continuing to steal against a guy who has twice led the league in throwing out those attempting to steal is not terribly wise, especially when you have hot hitters coming to the plate. Perez had at least one game I remember from last year where he threw out at least two attempting to steal. Molitor knows way more about baseball than I ever will, but could he read The Book, or at least the article that Blake refers to above?
  23. Fun story. Thanks for sharing.
  24. I still tremble when Colon is the starting pitcher, but I do so with the realization that, for reasons that completely elude me, the Twins have a chance to win the game. Oddly enough, I am glad he's on the roster. (still not sure I believe I am saying that)
×
×
  • Create New...