Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

LastOnePicked

Verified Member
  • Posts

    1,959
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    10

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by LastOnePicked

  1. Exactly this. As a fan, I have no idea what the Twins are trying to become or what they're building towards. It almost seems like they thought Carlos Correa was just a magic wand they could wave into a middling roster and - poof - make themselves a contender. In a weak division, that might get you a division pennant and a Wild Card series win, sure. But two teams in this division are now ready to reap the benefits of their rebuilds, while the third remains the undisputed champion of player development and pitching pipelines. Twins ... your move?
  2. I agree that probably it's better at this point to push forward than to rebuild (that should have started four years ago, in my opinion). But here's the problem: a payroll of $130M on this club isn't going to cut it. You can't count on 100 games each from Correa, Buxton or Lewis, so you'll need high-end replacements to fill in during long injury stretches. However, the younger players clearly aren't ready to fill those shoes. So you need a big free agent roster with proven talent ... or you'll need a lot of hope. A great coaching staff could maybe, maybe thread that needle. The one we have? No. Next year Chicago can't possibly be worse and KC, Cleveland and Detroit will likely be better. If you rolled it all back, can this Twins team compete? Absolutely not. So if you're not competing in 2025, you should probably be in a phase of rebuilding. Otherwise you're wasting a season.
  3. Love it. We got two hilarious Stu satires in one day - this one and the one about how the Twins made the right call in keeping Rocco.
  4. Excellent post. I think every Twins fan can handle losing or coming up short. But this season wasn't that - this was incompetence at multiple levels. Unprofessional organization and not worthy of fan support.
  5. Target Field hasn't had any electricity for the past two months, so I think they're okay.
  6. "Despite a vocal minority of fans calling for change," Ugh. This is a common tactic of dismissal. And my guess is that you have no real idea as to which side on this issue is the minority, unless you've done some sophisticated polling. "Some fans may want fiery speeches or emotional outbursts." Let's put this old strawman to rest. Those of us who against keeping Rocco are NOT asking for thrown chairs and tipped tables. Were asking for fundamentally sound baseball and an ability to elevate the play of the roster. Sometimes that involves confrontation. Not aggression, not buffoonery ... timely and direct confrontation. "The most successful franchises, in any sport, don’t constantly shuffle their leadership. Stability fosters success." First, please don't tell me you think the Twins are one of the "most successful franchises" - that's just patently false. Also, I think you have it backwards. Success more often fosters stability. Time alone won't simply turn a poor coaching staff into a great staff. And failure rewarded with stability leads to stagnation and incompetence. "we also can’t forget the 12-game winning streak they posted earlier this year" Since we're on the subject of not forgetting, 2022's epic collapse is worth remembering. It might also be good to remember that the regular season records you boasted about were built off of a fairly weak AL Central. And Rocco's postseason record still isn't something to write home about. "2025 will be a critical year for Baldelli. He’s earned another chance, but if the team falters again, it will be tough to justify keeping him on." Okay, is 2025 the new goalpost? Just so we don't have to repeat ourselves next offseason, what does "falters" mean? Look, if you love Rocco, just say you love Rocco. That's fine. He seems like a great human being. I'd love to have Rocco as a neighbor. I just can no longer stand having him as the Twins manager. I'm tired of watching this team falter, flail and fade away in crucial stretches and big games. I'm tired of our rookies looking disoriented and unprepared to play major league baseball. Rocco has had decent rosters and decent payroll support. Whatever the "it" factor is that makes a great manager, Rocco doesn't have it. And we've had more than enough time now to judge this fairly.
  7. I think a lot of people on TD would have been okay with this. I just think he wouldn't have performed very well here. We get flashes, but there's something missing in the way we draft, develop or coach that would lead to a hugely productive season from a young rookie. When's the last time the Twins had a legitimate Rookie of the Year candidate?
  8. I think the word "idiot" is often overused. Most people in positions of leadership are fairly smart, fairly capable of making decent decisions peppered with mistakes. But I'm not sure it would be overused in this case. How could Twins leadership not have a plan to build off of the Correa signing, to steer away from Bally's bankruptcy, to hook new fans on streaming packages, and to re-establish a window of contention in the process. Twins could have hooked a new generation of fans, all while reaping the immediate benefits of gate receipts, merchandise and playoff pool money. $50M spent this year is potentially hundreds of millions of added revenue by 2030. Thankfully, all those involved in this debacle have been fired. Wait, they haven't? No consequences for leadership at all? Those idiots.
  9. Wishing these folks the best, but hoping we can get some fresh perspective on the coaching staff. Can't shake the feeling that it won't matter much until a new captain boards the ship.
  10. I just wish they'd pick a lane and stick with it. If you're a team built around Lopez, Correa and Buxton, crank open that competitive window for another few years and try a few additional big free agent splashes. If that fails, tear it down in 2027 and rebuild. That really should have been the plan last offseason, since you actually got fairly decent seasons from the big three in 2024. You may not get that again. Or, if you're a team built around the "cheap guys," turn the reins over to SWR, Lewis, Wallner and the graduating rookie class. Let them take some lumps without pretending you're a contender. Trade Lopez and Jeffers. See what your remaining veterans can bring in at the deadline. Let Buxton and Correa shift over to being mentors (their contracts are likely untradeable anyways). Set your sights on 2027. I don't understand the point of trying to build a team between these two pathways. You're either putting too much pressure on the shoulders of your rookies, or you're putting too much faith in just a few established stars. You can maybe thread the needle on this ... if you have an incredible coaching staff. Enough said.
  11. I don't think they'd bring in someone who'd do things drastically differently, you're right. But I hope they would. I advocate that they would. I darn near demand they should. I'd actually think they'd want someone who could make their "system" work with players. If they have a winning formula in the executive suite, it's getting lost in translation. And I believe from experience that despite any executive philosophy, managers within an organization can make a huge difference. I've been a part of amazing departments for organizations with failing philosophies, all because the managers of those departments were just smart and wise. What people say and do matter. It's why some managers end up in the hall of fame.
  12. With much respect, you don't know this. Roster construction is very important, you're right. But the way a leader communicates, encourages and develops talent matters. It may solve some things. It may lead to improved fundamental baseball. That could certainly be worth 3-5 games a year. We know that makes a difference. At this point, it's worth putting this question to the test. Especially if the FO philosophy remains the same.
  13. This is the one thing I wish I could change about our collective mindset as fans. This wasn't disappointment; this was malpractice. I have no problem with disappointment in baseball. 29 MLB fanbases will fall short of the big championship dream. 18 will find themselves watching the playoffs from the outside. The smaller market teams will always feel this brunt more than the elites. That's understood. No cause for anger. When you have an organization that has underspent in the lean years, but refuses to overspend in the contention-window years, that's more than disappointing. When you lose critical games with incredibly poor fundamentals, that's more than disappointing. When you have epic late-season collapses, that's more than disappointing. It suggests a real problem with team culture. If the Twins had lost their season to a juggernaut team, watching a Ryan Jeffers screaming liner find the glove of a diving infielder, who fires to second, narrowly nabbing the lead runner for a stunning double play. That would be disappointing, yes. Popping up a bunt to the hapless Marlins, who catch a slumbering Santana off of second base? Dropping from 95% playoff odds to 0% in about five weeks? All of this might suggest more than disappointment.
  14. Great questions. I think the answer is this: this organization doesn't have an identity. They don't know what they're planning for or building towards. They signed Correa, which should have suggested that it was time to bolster the roster with established free agents and use the farm system for savvy deadline trades. Create a window of contention, use your assets, bring home a title. Nope. The very next year, they treat the offseason as though they're a 100-loss rebuilding club, slashing payroll and relying on unproven rookies and waiver claims to plug huge gaps. And honestly, that would be fine ... if they were a rebuilding club. They seem like they're trying to do the one thing that NEVER seems to create championship baseball: timidly nibble, put tremendous amounts of hopes in injured players, low-grade free agents and other teams roster cast-offs and stubbornly refuse to make staffing changes when performance is poor. At that point, you're an also-ran. You're the Angels. You're the Pirates. You're a non-threat to great ballclubs. And you lose fans.
  15. This one seems the worst to me. 11 months ago the mantra from this team was "you ain't seen nothing yet." And I guess they were right, but not in the ways we had hoped. What makes it the worst is that it's just an incredible unforced error by the organization. Last fall, I saw more Twins jerseys at work and in the neighborhood than I had in years. There was a palpable sense that the promise of having an established superstar (Correa) supporting an up-and-coming class of stars was about to yield results. After all, the curse was lifted, right? Instead, we know what happened. The organization immediately bobbled the ball on payroll and broadcasting, and that fundamental shakiness eventually hit the dugout, the batter's box and the playing field. Ripples of incompetence, staffed by people without the skills to steady the ship. And now, what exactly? Keeping payroll flat (as Joe Pohlad suggested) essentially means a cut, since payrolls across MLB tend to rise each year. The play of the rookies doesn't suggest that the farm system is building a smooth transition to the major leagues. Cleveland, Detroit and Kansas City are on the rise, meaning that the Twins now share a dogfight division rather than a cakewalk division. And the central voice in the dugout - the skipper who has overseen two of these "most disappointing seasons in Twins history" in just the last three years - will remain the same. Baseball can surprise us all, but I'll be really surprised if 2024 wasn't the start of a prolonged franchise slide.
  16. Hey, this is lovely. Seriously. But those of us who are upset about this announcement would like to see loyalty like yours rewarded with a few more championship runs to cherish. And the next Twins manager and FO staff could be like family too, you know. :) We need to open that door at some point. This organization really should do better to honor fans like you.
  17. Neither do I. People realize that a MLB manager isn't going to starve in the streets after a firing, right? I mean, this is an elite position. The pay is good, and there are always chances to coach at other levels. Rocco would survive. And so would the Twins. There are probably about a hundred people in the country who would be immediately qualified. Some of them might be the tonic this team needs to take things to the next level. Few could do too much worse.
  18. It is a fair question and a good question. I think for some of us, we know what it's been like to work for an inspirational leader, and also what it's like to work for an ineffective leader. And make no mistake - the MLB manager is a leadership position. A robot could write out a lineup card. AI could map out your bullpen usage. A manager should have skills in communicating with supremely talented human beings, identifying their blind spots, elevating their skills and maximizing their chances for success. Does that describe Rocco Baldelli's work here in any way? No. Not even close. Yes, players like him. He's likable. I've worked for places where many of the employees love working for someone who will never bust their chops or challenge them. Those department, divisions and companies always fall behind the competition. Always. For some of us, Rocco isn't just caught up in the Twins' woes - he's central to the cause. And a firing would send a message that anything short of a tenacious 162+ game fight for a title won't be tolerated in Twins Territory. That would be so refreshing, and the prospects coming in might find themselves rising to meet that challenge.
  19. Well, there you go. I mean, I don't expect much at this point, but I thought they might want to let the dust settle for a week or two, at least give the illusion that this collapse was serious enough (the second epic late-season collapse in three years, for those who may have forgotten) to warrant consideration of making a change. Nope. Same old, same old. If you were running an organization in which winning was a priority, you would never manage personnel like this. Never. By all accounts, Rocco is a fundamentally decent human being. He takes his work seriously and he conducts himself admirably. I'm glad they don't denigrate him, toss him under the bus or speak ill of him. But he is not a leader of men. His players too often struggle to live up to potential. His teams are prone to collapse and complete mental lapses on the field and on the bases. We have had plenty of time now to fully and fairly evaluate Rocco Baldelli as a manager. He's cycled through numerous rosters, been gifted payrolls and prospects far beyond anything his predecessors ever had. And he has failed to get the most of his teams, failed to get this organization to the next level. Over and over again, failure. Rocco has failed, but he will be back. Fans who would like to see a title in Minnesota probably won't be.
  20. In recent postgame comments, Rocco defended the team and said something to the effect, "Hey, these guys didn't give up. They came to the ballpark and played every game." And I thought, who says something like this? It's their job to show up and play the games. That's the bare minimum effort required. What kind of culture would accept this as a valid defense for total collapse? "Yeah, we lost and looked like fools in the process. But come on, we still took the field and finished the game. What more do you want?" As long as this is acceptable to the owners and the fans, these kinds of failures will continue. It's why we're spending time here debating the commitment of the fanbase rather than culture of the organization. That's why loving these Twins is so difficult for some of us.
  21. Nope. 1948. Didn't say winning, but I could have clarified. Regardless ... that's a long time.
  22. ??? If you weren't around in '87 and '91, we were kind of the envy of MLB. We darn near made each other deaf in our inflatable stadium. We were a fanbase at least as white then, too. Maybe we all just got boring as we aged, who knows. OR ... Maybe championship runs and an owner committed to winning solves an awful lot of these "fanbase" problems. That's the answer I'm sticking with.
  23. Honestly, I'm perplexed at how many people seem more interested in diagnosing what's wrong with the fanbase than what's wrong with the organization. This is the longest WS drought in the franchise's history. The playoff losing streak was historic. This collapse was epic. The team has faced some bad luck, sure, but they also seem to perennially struggle to put up a fight. Winning isn't priority here, and that's abundantly clear both on the field and off. Over time, that just wears out the faithful. Believers are punished and skeptics are rewarded. As Gleeman points out, "you get the audience you deserve." As for me, I have loved the Twins. I try to love the Twins. But it's often embarrassing and maddening to love the Twins. The loyalty isn't rewarded. And though I think your allegory about family is sweet, to me it's also ridiculous. My daughter screws up, I stick with her. My Dad makes some bad decisions, I keep helping. But blind loyalty to a corporate-owned professional sports team? Come on. Maybe it's Midwestern culture that has German and Swedish roots, but that's completely silly. To me, at least. Try to show up at the Pohlad's door to talk passionately about the Twins - any illusions about "family" will quickly be dispelled. But a good article regardless. And it is clearer and clearer to me that I don't love this team anymore, and I should probably just leave it to the folks who do.
  24. Just so it's clear, I'm not trying to persuade anyone. I popped back on, added my two cents, expressed my regrets to other fans. It wouldn't sting if I didn't care, and even just watching Gameday last night stung. Sorry my post inflamed - wasn't the intent. I get a kick out the wagon-circling, though. I wish this team could reward your loyalty. I wish the Pohlads had tried to build on last year, when disgruntled skeptics like me had to at least consider the possibility that curses could be broken and that championships could be won. My father taught me to be loyal to my country, my faith and my family. But a ballclub run by a billionaire family? I can probably cut my losses. For those of you who don't, good for you. Make that choice.
×
×
  • Create New...