Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Recommended Posts

Posted
1 hour ago, Linus said:

Me too. I like discussing trades conceptually because you are discussing ideas that we can all know and debate. Once specific players are named I find it less useful. I have no way of knowing how the Twins or Diamondbacks view / value Jordan Lawler so any specific suggestions I would make are not that useful. I tend to think Larnachs value is fairly depressed because good teams have better options and poor teams don’t need 30 year old, poor defenders that are platoon protected. That observation and 50 cents won’t get you a cup of coffee because there might be team that values that production more highly. So we wait and see. I mean, when you look at the list of free agent DHs, Larnachs 121 ops+ is not bad it just depends on how you value players. 

Agreed.

Specific players destroys the concept or the idea because the player takes over the discussion. The concept will not work if the specific player is subjectively dismissed. 

Although... I admit... my consistent specific chime in's in Trevors defense makes it hard for me to discuss concept because in this regard... I'm willing participant in a specific player... so I guess I ask for it. 

All in all... I just find the opinions on Larnach to be... a little unfair.  

Posted
1 minute ago, Riverbrian said:

Agreed.

Specific players destroys the concept or the idea because the player takes over the discussion. The concept will not work if the specific player is subjectively dismissed. 

Although... I admit... my consistent specific chime in's in Trevors defense makes it hard for me to discuss concept because in this regard... I'm willing participant in a specific player... so I guess I ask for it. 

All in all... I just find the opinions on Larnach to be... a little unfair.  

Possibly. He’s a useful role player but he is not a starter on a playoff team. But that’s, just my opinion man. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Linus said:

Possibly. He’s a useful role player but he is not a starter on a playoff team. But that’s, just my opinion man. 

Yeah but teams are using the platoon to staff their rosters. If they platoon... They are looking for role players. They set their rosters for it. If they staff in this regard and they do. It would be odd to be dismissive a players who is performing in that exact role.    

So his role would be DH against Right Handers which is the role he is useful in.

So when the D Backs take on Yammamoto in the playoffs next year. Larnach would be in the lineup. 😄

Posted
1 hour ago, Riverbrian said:

Yeah but teams are using the platoon to staff their rosters. If they platoon... They are looking for role players. They set their rosters for it. If they staff in this regard and they do. It would be odd to be dismissive a players who is performing in that exact role.    

So his role would be DH against Right Handers which is the role he is useful in.

So when the D Backs take on Yammamoto in the playoffs next year. Larnach would be in the lineup. 😄

Well now we are going to come full circle on an issue near and dear to your heart. I haven’t noticed as much of the platoon rigidness in the playoffs. These teams tend to have good players and they let them play. To me, that’s what the ultimate solution is. Having said that, the list of free agent DHs is dismal so maybe we will see Trevor in the playoffs next year. I’m so confident of that I am willing to bet a substantial amount of your money on it 😀

Posted
5 hours ago, Linus said:

Well now we are going to come full circle on an issue near and dear to your heart. I haven’t noticed as much of the platoon rigidness in the playoffs. These teams tend to have good players and they let them play. To me, that’s what the ultimate solution is. Having said that, the list of free agent DHs is dismal so maybe we will see Trevor in the playoffs next year. I’m so confident of that I am willing to bet a substantial amount of your money on it 😀

Managers tend to get a little more careful come playoff time. 

 

Milwaukee certainly platooned less thus far. Frelick sat against the only left hander they faced. Lara subbed in. Prior to that Bauers was sitting for Vaughn against lefties at the end of the season. Which is odd because Bauers splits are pretty neutral this year but that's Vaughn forcing that substitution.  

The Dodgers have platooned Muncy against lefties for Rojas and Kike and they have faced a lot of left handers. in the playoffs. 

The Braves have never been a heavy platoon team. Yaz sits against lefties and they have Lane Thomas chained to him for those lefty moments. 

The Padres were pretty low on options so the platooning they are doing revolve around Samad Taylor, Dustin Harris and Ben Sheets who is dealing with injuries but they could barely staff 9 in the playoffs. 

The Yankees were locked in. They just got frustrated with Chisholm and McMahon as they started getting desperate for offense. 

The Rays are just doing a platoon with Simpson and Vilade. 

The White Sox are platooning the hell out of this thing. They have Antonacci, Benitendi and Tristan Peters subbed out for Grichuk, Pham and Doyle. Pham and Doyle were picked up at the deadline but it's important to point out that the White Sox are a left handed heavy team. They only bat two right handers against right handed pitching. They are left handed.  

And then there is Cleveland. They are even more left handed heavy than the White Sox are. They have 2 pure right handed hitters on the roster. Adell and Fry... that's it. And Fry has only played one game in the playoffs. They have chosen the left handed hitting Lowe over Fry. While Venable is attacking with left handed bullpen arms instead of standard starters. 

You are right... this is dear to my heart and I watch it like a hawk and when I watch the playoff behavior under pressure... I can't help but wonder what they hell we are doing during the regular season. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Twins community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...