Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

The Great Hambino

Verified Member
  • Posts

    2,297
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    7

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by The Great Hambino

  1. Oh man, the Brewers are gonna be so embarrassed when they realize they're not really contenders because they traded Freddy Peralta in January
  2. Looking at Buxton's BA or whatever else while he's been a DH might be misleading since the times he's played more DH have oftentimes been stretches where they've been trying to manage an injury. If he plays there more often when he's hurt, I'd imagine it will hurt his overall numbers there. Is that an indication that he can't DH, or is any subset going to look worse if it's where he's injured a proportionally larger amount of the time? At any rate, can we at least wait until we see how he responds to surgery before we put him out to pasture? Certainly have a backup plan, but I don't get the urgency to move him off the field when he's still clearly the best outfield defender on the roster
  3. What's the opposite of pocket presence? Wentz has that I feel like someone in NY is throwing the override switch on some of these calls
  4. That illegal contact was weak sauce
  5. I don't know if I've ever seen a coach take a field goal off the board for an offsides that didn't result in a first down
  6. Wentz would be a pretty good QB if he could just make accurate throws to open receivers Edit: based on the replay, he should try opening his eyes when he throws
  7. I think the ramifications of an 18 month shutdown go well beyond the cost of doing business. If they kill the 2027 season, then they also kill their upcoming media rights deals. They've gone to great lengths to get all their ducks in a row to bring everything to market in 2028; history shows us that is a terrible time to stop playing games unless you are cool with showing your championship games on the Outdoor Life Network. Times have changed since 1994. Sports and entertainment options have become much more stratified since then. If you exit the market for a year, you will have an incredibly difficult time finding your footing in the marketplace; that is, if you ever find it at all. You could be killing the golden goose that is your national media rights. And I don't know if there's a Cal Ripken streak or a Sammy Sosa/Mark McGwire/BALCO home run chase out there ready to save them this time
  8. That's basically how I see it. Revenue sharing levels the playing field, a floor is the enforcement mechanism to make sure it's actually working as intended, and the cap is the trade-off that happens in practice to get owners to agree to the floor. And because this is all subject to negotiation, the amount of compromise needed to come to an agreement will result in the mutant NBA-style soft cap as opposed to the NFL-style hard cap. I believe the only reason the NFL got a hard cap is because they had free agency to offer as a trade-off. I don't know what the owners could offer players that they would view as commensurate with a hard cap. Ergo, a soft cap/luxury tax hybrid that allows each side to call it what they want
  9. Purdy looks like he found some mojo
  10. Acoustics thrown off by the giant goofy circle they're playing in?
  11. Not to mention laws are passed with a future effective date all the time, especially when dealing with finances According to this chart (shout out to @bean5302 for using the same competitive balance payroll figures that MLB is using to set their cap/floor proposals), if every team above the cap spent to the cap of $245.3MM and every team below the floor spent to the floor of $171.2MM, overall salaries would increase by 1% For reference, salaries have been growing by an annual average of 6.4% since 2022 (chosen to eliminate COVID-related statistical noise) according to figures here and here It's debatable what sort of indirect effects on market behavior would occur in that sort of floor/cap system, but the idea that salaries would increase by anything in the neighborhood of 40% is utterly absurd
  12. I find it hard to believe this team would carry both Kremer and Ober at arb-3 prices to be backend starters/swingmen. I'm wondering if Kremer at least partially was targeted with the idea of him being an Ober replacement, or at least an Ober alternative, heading into 2027 I'd rather take that $7MM-ish salary and apply it toward a true difference-making FA or trade target
  13. Is that the same Aaron Gleeman from AaronGleeman.com? I'm not familiar with anyone by that name at The Athletic 😜 I like this feature
  14. Fullbacks get no respect! My Bredeson jersey is on the way One of my hot takes that I actually believe is that Lorenzo Neal should get in the Hall of Fame if someone like Steve Tasker is even getting considered for it
  15. I took "pushing chips forward" to mean "didn't fold" as opposed to "all in". At least I hope that's what the author meant
  16. A floor doesn't do anything for the Twins if they just spend to the floor. That would still put them at the bottom of league payrolls. In fact, they'd actually rank lower than they do now since there are still teams like the Marlins out there carrying obscenely low payrolls. In other words, if they want to get credit for increasing spending, they only get credit for spending above any floor. I imagine they and several other teams will spend at or near whatever floor is put in place. Keep this in mind when MLB tries to sell their plan as sharing 50% of revenues with players
  17. No one has ever seen Mike Tomlin and Omar Epps in the same place at the same time
  18. It's gonna be so funny when the team with a QB emergency that allows the Vikes to unload JJ turns out to be the Seahawks. Vikes choose between Darnold and McCarthy, and Seattle ends up with both
  19. I pretty strongly considered going with the Saints over the Bucs but defaulted to best QB But those teams are all pretty even. I think the only shocking result would be the division champ not being the 4 seed
  20. Alex "Inaction" Jackson Hey, Luke caught a baseball!
  21. I think their signs of regression will be balanced out by making strides in Year 2 of Ben Johnson's system (getting two consecutive years in the same offensive system is a rare treat for them), Caleb indeed being the real deal, and the defense not being as bad as it looks on paper because how could it be? I also think the margins in the division are going to be razor thin, hence the Lions beating them in the divisional round even though the Bears take the division. I was very close to sliding the Vikes into the 7th seed but I tend to err on the side of futility with them. I think the Packers bring up the rear
  22. NFC: 1. Rams 2. Cowboys (totally not a jinx) 3. Bears 4. Buccaneers 5. Lions 6. Seahawks 7. Eagles (I'd like to believe this can be the Vikings, but cynicism/realism wins out) Rams over Lions in NFCCG (Eagles beat the Cowboys in WC round to trigger re-seeding) AFC: 1. Bills 2. Chiefs 3. Texans 4. Bengals 5. Jaguars 6. Chargers 7. Ravens Texans over Bills in AFCCG (CJ Stroud to play the role of Jimmy G, Josh Allen continues to play the role of Dan Marino) Josh Allen MVP Ja'Marr Chase OPOY Myles Garrett DPOY DeMeco Ryans COY Jadarian Price OROY Caleb Banks DROY (loljk, it will be Rueben Bain Jr) Rams over Texans in LXI
  23. We will, but we shouldn't. The more divisions there are, the likelier that mediocrity can be dressed up as contention. Owners love that as it allows them to feign competitiveness while investing as little as possible. 8 4-team divisions sets up perfectly for 6 playoff teams per league. 2 division winners get byes, and the next 4 best records are your wild cards. This makes the most sense. But they aren't interested in playoffs that make sense. If they were, they would reseed after the wild card round so you don't end up with the three best teams all on the same side of the bracket like we'll see in the American League this year
×
×
  • Create New...