Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Oldgoat_MN

Verified Member
  • Posts

    2,437
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Oldgoat_MN

  1. Nice write-up, Cody. I have never found anything written about Byron Buxton that suggests this young man is likely to grow complacent. His work ethic has been the subject of several articles. And really, if he appeared to be that vulnerable to his ego some of the scouts would have sniffed it out. Instead they all seem to love him. He comes across like a classy kid, a tribute to his parents and himself. Hoping all the best for him!
  2. I love what Morris did for the Twins. That doesn't change the fact, though, that if Morris gets in he will be the pitcher with the highest ERA in the Hall of Fame. That will probably keep him out.
  3. I agree. The problem is that AAAA players are not that hard to find. Most MLB rosters feature some of those players. I cannot see the Twins putting together a group of potential 5th starters and actually getting anything. No one else has the roster room, either. Cannot imagine why the Padres would let Smith go. He's their Alex Meyer. There is no SS on the market that looks better than Escobar's numbers from AAA last year. I agree, J-Dog, that for some reason I don't think TR is done. Just cannot imagine what's next.
  4. Something I really hadn't considered before is that Johan might find it easier to try a comeback here than anywhere else. Minnesota Twins fans love Johan. If he gets on the mound and has a bad day, the fans are not going to boo him. They may be disappointed, but you can't boo Johan Santana! (well, at least not the first couple of times he gets hammered) This is the one place where the fans would be so solidly behind him that it would make his efforts easier. He will be granted more leeway here than anywhere else. I wonder if anyone ever thinks about that sort of thing...
  5. Kaz over either of the pitchers we got. That said, I am really pleased that the Twins have done something that is almost certainly going to lead to a better season than we have had the last 3 years. Go Ricky! Go Phil!
  6. Josh Johnson has signed with the Padres. I wish I could remember who it was, but someone here at TD took the home runs that Hughes had allowed in Yankee stadium and overlayed where they landed on top of a Target Field layout. Pretty much all the home runs in NY would have been home runs at TF. 1. It was a pretty cool tool that he had gotten from Fangraphs, and 2. If you want to see a grand improvement from Hughes you are going to have to see most of it from a reduction in his very high BABIP. IMHO, I think Jimenez is going to cost a fortune. Someone will throw a boatload of money at him. Still would prefer to see Garza and Kazmir.
  7. I was pretty sure that Escobar got sent down in 2013 (to AAA) to play more SS and refine his skills. His .880 OPS in 188 PA showed a fluency with the bat that should have pleased everyone. Can he sustain this? I don't know, but when he came back to the Twins in September (SSS) his offensive numbers were very good for a SS. They featured a .324 BA and a .343 OBP for the 24 year old. I like Florimon as a fielder and wish him the best, but I believe the stronger Twins team has Escobar starting at SS and Florimon perhaps serving as the utility infielder. Like the parallels with Dozier. Good work. Thanks Thry.
  8. Seems 'schulb' is a little harsh. He is, at this point, a better ballplayer than at least 99% of the readers of Twins Daily, so you've kind of insulted all of us. And you did it in so few words! Efficiency rocks!
  9. Old Nurse - I usually agree with you. However... I think you have could have a different attitude when you have maybe two starting pitchers you can hope to see in the next 3 years or so (Meyer & Gibson), an expiring contract for your staff Ace (Correia), and you are $40 million under the '52% of revenue' guideline you set for yourself. This team needs pitching, and internal options are too far away to wait around for. Or we can just be the Twins of 1993-2000.
  10. That's some fun stuff that will never happen. Does look fun, though. P.S. If you can get Jurickson Profar for that do you pull the trigger? We got Florimon and Escobar at SS and no one else coming any time soon. Intriguing...
  11. I would start to attend therapy sessions to treat my depression. I would continue to go until the Twins signed an above average pitcher. In other words, I'd just go to therapy until the money was gone.
  12. I am not a 'Joe Mauer is the savior' kind of guy, but I certainly respect him. This move looks to cover all bases. It more carefully protects him to continue to be a capable and available husband and father, and it increases the odds that he will be a productive member of the Twins for the life of his contract. Very difficult to find fault with this decision.
  13. Really like the idea of aquiring Pineda. Cannot imagine the Yankees letting him go, however. They want inexpensive pitchers, too.
  14. " I hope my opinions are wrong, but I have seen precious little to refute my opinion." Sadly, everything about this is correct and almost none of it is subjective. The main two things we got out of 2013 were 1. Brian Dozier may have emerged as a good, solid 2B for the future, and 2. our minor leaguers are a year older. That is too short a list for a team with over 290 losses in the last 3 years.
  15. Sadly true. I hope that this year appears to have more going for it than 'our minor league players are a year older', which is most of what 2013 gave us. It may be true that Morneau, Willingham and Doumit would have all been moved had they been performing better. And if ifs and buts were candy and nuts.... I really want the 2014 season to be a clear step forward. If that starts before 2013 draws to a close, all the better.
  16. Yes Cody, things are looking somewhat bleak there. Oddly enough, Plouffe and Parmelee could wind up as a platoon in RF. That was one pleasant surprise, that Parms handled that position better than most of us expected. Don't remember what kind of OF Trevor is, but I remember that he's played LF & RF. Or maybe Parmelee will platoon with Pinto? RHP - Parmelee @ 1B, Mauer @ catcher LHP - Mauer @ 1B, Pinto @ catcher That is, if there was such a thing as positioning your players to help them succeed, like using platoons. We don't do that here.
  17. Had to come back one more time. Obviously I am reluctant about signing Hughes. Still, Nick... those home/away splits are pretty intriguing....
  18. I'm going to post this one more time then I promise to shut up. Last 3 years Player A: 411.2 IP, WHIPs of 1.487, 1.265, 1.455, bWARs -0.1, 1.9, -0.7, total: 1.1 Player B: 510.1 IP, WHIPS of 1.390, 1.298, 1.419, bWARs 0.1, 0.2, 1.6, total: 1.9 Player A: 2013 FIP 4.50, xFIP 4.39 (Fangraphs) Player B: 2013 FIP 4.40, xFIP 4.24 Player A is Phil Hughes. Player B is Kevin Correia. We already have one of those.
  19. Ah, yes... the option year is shed upon a trade? OK. Still would make Kazmir my #1 target. At 30 years old next year I think he's back. And while nothing is certain, especially in the world of starting pitchers, I believe he is the safest bet out there. Unfortunately, is is going to take 4 years $75M to get him. 2014 - 2017 @ $17.5M 2015 - $20M team option with $5M buyout. (and that may not be enough) Anybody here think TR would offer up a contract like that?
  20. Cleveland has an $8M option on Jimenez. Have to think they would exercise that. Really like your focus on SO. Hopefully TR sees the value in that as well.
  21. Excellent post jorganswest! Very interesting how many teams seem to be ignoring a catcher's ability at the plate. If you believe in some of these newer ideas then it makes sense to me if: you spend millions for pitchers you consider pitching to be the most important position in a given game you want to give the pitcher every possible advantage to make your team successful This is still evolving, though some teams (as you point out) are embracing this approach to their catchers. Hitting is clearly secondary. I'm not saying Mauer isn't a good to excellent catcher. Butera's stats are skewed in that he caught Pavano when Pavano was our ace. More research required before I could manage to draw a conclusion. (and I bet other team fans are jealous when Mauer steps to the plate, too)
  22. Very much looking forward to this young man joining the Twins. Seems like a kid with character. Minnesota fans are going to love him.
  23. Of course he was. Have you not read his articles before?
×
×
  • Create New...