Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

wavedog

Verified Member
  • Posts

    1,704
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by wavedog

  1. I'll summarize my thoughts on the FRE era. I was puzzled why we signed him in the first place along with some of our other Rule 5 bullpen moves - despite all the anxious moments he performed better than I thought he would so I would have to say I was a bit pleasantly surprised by his performance as a Twin. Figured he would be traded but thought we might get back a little more than we did - the front office must have decided they didn't want him around. Be real interesting what our bullpen looks like next year - hope these guys have a plan other than waiver wires and Rule 5 picks. Winning is the best entertainment but I will say FRE sure brought excitement to the 9th inning by how much trouble could he get into before either pulling it out of the fire or losing it - and since we are not playing for anything anymore I am slightly going to miss that.
  2. Great review on these guys - thanks for posting. I am now interested in what led them to improve and can that be replicated with some of our other prospects - were they helped along with coaches that believed in them - was it self driven improvement - or maybe a natural maturing that comes with age. Guillen certainly believed in Escobar but his improvement came after coming over to the Twins. In any case credit to these guys for turning around their career - they can certainly be proud of their success.
  3. Escobar was my favorite Twin player - I hope we bring him back next year but doesn't seem likely or we would have resigned him earlier.
  4. Agree - Escobar was a fun player to watch and root for and was key player to our team this year. Please also ship out or cut Dozier, Morrison, Lynn, Rodney and Duke. As far as whether this is a good trade or not - who knows. The odds of us doing anything this year were extremely low - the 3 players we got back are all in the low minors and not in Arizona's top 10 prospects. A pitcher with good K rate so may have some potential, an older outfielder who has a good batting eye, a young outfielder who can run and also has a good batting eye so at least that is encouraging. Good question on who plays 3B now - do we bring up Sano or Astrudillo?
  5. I agree on the player development/coaching. Why are many of the players falling below their career averages - what about the horrible base running. We changed several coaches at the major league and minor league level and we seemed to take a step back. How could Sano and Buxton regress with no sign that they get back to what they have already accomplished in the majors.
  6. Just a general observation that has probably been made in other posts and not just specific to this game because this was a blowout - but we have 13 pitchers and 12 hitters. So when Escobar goes down - that leaves 2 other bench bats available - one being the backup catcher and the other an injured Rosario. Starters go 5-6 innings and then on average we are using 3-4 relievers per game this year- and our starting pitching has been decent but yet some relievers overused. What if instead of Belisle on the roster we had an extra bat - Carter, Vargas, Wade or Granite and then Magill and/or other releivers could pitch more than an inning. Is there an analytical study that shows it is better to have an extra pitcher than an extra bat? Or othe arm recovers more quickly by using use a reliever for one inning to limit pitches. I just wonder what is driving our relief usage - analytics or Molitor/Coaching preferences or the skill set of our relievers. Our hitting is so futile it just seems it would be more beneficial to have another bat.
  7. I was more for Sano figuring things out at the majors and then my second thought is that about half the hitters could be sent to the minors to work on things. However upon reflection, I think this actually shows they still believe in him and think its best he does a reset, build back his swing and confidence. Best outcome is he spends several weeks done there and comes back after the All-Star break. Boy this season is sure turning out to be pretty depressing. We haven't seen Santana pitch yet, Polanco suspended, Buxton and Mauer missing big stretches of time, Castro out, multiple hitters struggling. At least we have Rosario and Escobar and some positive starting pitching.
  8. We certainly do have some prospects performing well but the record for the year is significantly worse than last year and I don't think that is from promotions to the big league team. We just came off of an awful and almost unbelievable 4-23 week which didn't help. We did have some significant turnover in the coaching staffs didn't we? Perhaps that is impacting overall performance. In the end if our prospects are developing, the win/loss is not important but no one likes to see a 4-23 week.
  9. Surprised Duffy is being sent down he has pitched well recently. I would rather have seen Pressly get a little DL break - possibly Reed as well. They have been used so much I think they need a rest break. Seems like when they have been brought in recently they each surrendered runs. Other option is bat Pressly at leadoff in the lineup and pinch-hit for him first at-bat so Molly can't use him for a couple of games.
  10. This is a great summary - thanks for continually providing more interesting information. With the Twins struggling the prospects provide a nice diversion.
  11. Very interesting and informative - thanks for posting this! Glad I ran before I read this today - now I am going straight to the couch and propping my knees up.
  12. I had his baseball card when he was the Twins manager - one of the few last names that started with a Q. I didn't realize he was so young when he managed. Associated with the Twins for most of his career in a variety of roles - sounds like a wonderful life.
  13. Sano and Buxton sure have a troubling history of injuries and this is when they are young - what is going to happen when they get older. Combined with winning 1 of 11 this is putting a dark cloud on this season and future ones. Hopefully something good happens soon and we don't have a repeat of 2016 when just when you thought it couldn't get worse it did.
  14. Ever the optimist I always think that this next series will be different against the Yankees - yet the same result keeps happening. At least I won't be able to watch the rest of the series.
  15. Hopefully we show up in one of these Yankee games - these butt-whippings sure take the fun out of baseball.
  16. Seems like every game starts the same - slowly for us
  17. Twins Motto this year - "Let's spot 'em a few"
  18. Dozier, save the grounders for when no one is on base and the HR's for when they are on base please.
  19. I believe I read in the very excellent series preview on this site that the Pirates bullpen was weak outside of their very good closer. Good insight I am glad to see us take advantage of!
  20. On a positive note if there is one, there are plenty of innings left to mount a comeback.
  21. Thanks for your efforts in making Twins Daily a great site!
  22. One thing I will add on the Gregorius pitch was that Castro was set up mid-to high outside and the pitch came in low and to the inside. So Castro had to move his glove down and to the right. Definitely was a strike according to their strike box but from the Umps live viewpoint you can see why it looked low. If Castro's glove was set where it was pitched it probably would have been a strike. This can be used as an argument to automate the strike zone to remove that human misperception. It also shows how off Santana's control was as he was missing Castro's targets in the first inning.
  23. Well it was a really good season! Somewhat bitter but expected ending with the usual performance against the Yankees.
  24. Who called the meaningless 2 out hit? 3 more and a HR!
×
×
  • Create New...