Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

wavedog

Verified Member
  • Posts

    1,704
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by wavedog

  1. Once I saw Margot was leading off had to hop on and join the conversation. Be interesting to see the analytic report that led to this decision. Doubling down and putting your worst hitter at the top of the order? I have not seen much sign of life from his bat - coupled with his defensive stats are not good either. Who knows maybe this jumps starts something. The other thought that crossed my mind is that in the old days it was sometimes mentioned that having a lefty or two in the line-up forces the pitcher to have to change their approach and maybe that can get them out of sync. Not sure if any modern day analytics support that and that would likely differ from pitcher to pitcher. I would rather take my chances with Kepler in the line-up versus a lefty than see Margot out there - don't think that is helping our offense or defense.
  2. Twins made an emphatic statement this series that we are not the worst team in the division.
  3. Well, we are not going to score on our own - C'mon White Sox give us some walks and errors.
  4. Looks like we have a couple of starters who are better suited to pitch as relievers.
  5. I am up for giving Varland a few more starts - we really need him to stick - but I was encouraged to see Woods-Richardson's performance in his spot start - good to have him in the on deck circle. Warning - Extreme knee-jerk and sarcastic comment of the day - Good thing we did not sign Gray or Lorenzen - yesterday they combined to pitch 11 innings and give up no runs. Couldn't resist - we will see how their performance plays out over the season. Lorenzen had a lot of baserunners and somehow avoided trouble and Gray was pitching against Oakland.
  6. I may be 100% off here but I think we need to look at our training staff again on what they are doing to prepare the players for and during the season. Either we have selected the most injury prone players or we can prepare them better adding more flexibility and stretching activities. Fouling a ball off your leg is one thing but pulling a muscle running the bases sounds something that a 50 year old would encounter in a pick-up softball game. This Lewis injury reminds me of when Donaldson pulled a muscle in the first at-bat a couple of years ago. Takes a little of the air out of the balloon.
  7. Hopefully they get more wins than I predict but worried about injuries derailing our season. Thin on starting pitching depth and bullpen starts with a couple of injuries. Hopefully Buxton can play a complete season.
  8. Lot of good discussion on the trade. Looks like Hernandez wanted to sign with the Dodgers rather than us so that made Margot redundant and the Dodgers needed to open up a slot. We swap prospects and get a year of Margot for what we were looking to pay for a 4th OF. Looking at Margot stats I thought he was a bit better of a hitter and fielder than the stats show but maybe he was bothered by a bum knee the past 2 years. Margot looks like a good fit against LH and can cover all the OF spots. If Martin is tearing up AAA - we can trade Margot and bring him up - and more than likely with the walking wounded in the OF there will be some injury stretches. Glad to see us acquiring some more contact hitters this offseason.
  9. He has one skill set the Twins covet - swing and miss ability . Just kidding - I am OK with the signing - we have lost some AAA outfield depth and Bubba can fill that need. Maybe he can find his stroke with us and speed is always a good to have.
  10. Usual MO - wait for the big items to flesh out and then rummage through the bargain bin after the fact. I thought this year there might be a trade but I'll check back in early February like Punxsutawney Phil - if I see the same roster I'll hibernate another 6 weeks. Not even enjoying the speculation this year.
  11. Mahle trade will battle with the Sam Dyson trade for worst trade values in how things worked out. Let's see, both pitchers get injured soon after joining team. We got 12 games, 11 innings and a 7.15 era from Dyson and 9 starts split over 2 years from Mahle. Factoring in we traded Steer and Encarnacion-Strand for Mahle I think Mahle wins as the worst trade.
  12. Given the team's payroll limitations the pool of players Lee would be traded for should be very limited to a similar top pitching prospect with several years of team control remaining and a deal that would have to really blow us away. So doubtful such a deal would present itself and I think it highly unlikely but would not 100% rule it out. Many of our top players - Correa, Buxton, Lewis and Kiriiloff have a significant history of injuries. Knock on wood - Lee has not yet plus he has value as a switch-hitter. Even Arraez has issues with his knees but he also had played a couple of years and is Arb 3 eligible in 2024 with an estimated salary of $12M if we had kept him. We still have several cheap years of Lee ahead of us.
  13. Great deal for Pagan! No way we the Twins going to pay that and I don't blame them. Too bad we don't get compensatory picks for all Free Agents leaving like in the NFL - just the qualifying offer ones - because we are losing them fast this year and for big deals.
  14. Well, I try to be optimistic but I think that about does it for this one. Come back tomorrow and don't let the leadoff hitter get on each inning.
  15. Maybe Javier is getting cold with this long inning...
  16. I am enjoying the broadcast team - particularly Adam Wainwright's observations. Seems a lot fresher and covering new material than the typical broadcast group.
  17. I like it - bullpen looks as solid as it's been all year! Let's go!!
  18. Anytime we face a young rookie starter with a high era you pretty much know we will have difficulty scoring runs. Don't know if that is true or not but at least it seems to happen frequently to us. Also seems like #9 batters in the order have success against us as well. Maybe I just need to lower my expectations. That was a great catch by Taylor. Hope a couple of days of rest will be all Correa needs. We don't need players going down now.
  19. Well, looks like they got the players we wanted. Hope it kills their clubhouse chemistry and these 3 players stink for the rest of this season. If we had claimed them that is what probably would have happened. Guess they also need to make room on their 40 man roster for these guys unless they have a lot of injured players to put on the 60-day DL.
  20. One way to look at this game - the team was unable to cooperate with each other to score runs, but 3 individuals took it upon their bats and backs to plate a run. Let's see some more cooperation with this team going forward and get some big innings.
  21. A couple of comments - when Gray goes off the rails he sure goes off the rails - 2 big innings in last 2 starts after blowing through the order in the other innings. I would like to See Buxton put on IL and him or the team hiring a personal trainer for him - someone like Bobby Stroupe who works with Mahomes - to try to get his body in shape so he can return to playing in CF. That may shut him down for this year but that is ok - he needs to be playing in the field to maximize his value. Playing in the field and being engaged in the full game may even help his hitting.
  22. I would seriously question or be interested to see if there was an alternate universe, if Steer would be as successful hitting if he was with the Twins or would he also be sucked into our hitting philosophy and/or our lineup malaise. Reds look like they are having fun.
  23. I settled down for an uninterrupted afternoon of baseball - someone needs to question my decision-making. Our pitch recognition ability has to be near the bottom of the league - I saw a lot of flailing swings. Don't know if that is lack of talent or lack of study/work. I can't see running the same lineup out there in the 2nd half and expecting much better or different - lineup needs a spark and/or need a new batting coach philosophy. Not sure what Moran and Sands were throwing out there either but it got embarrassing real fast. A lot of listless baseball which I don't really want to continue to watch.
×
×
  • Create New...