Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Recommended Posts

Posted

I mentioned this in last night's game thread but thought this might merit its own thread..

I really enjoy listening to Cory Provus Fridays on InForum on YouTube. He's much more blunt than he would normally be on the broadcast. 

Today he talked about ERod's show of joy/emotion and contrasted that with the team's lack of energy recently and specifically Royce: "You don't see it much from Royce anymore. ... he's had a bad finish." He doesn't think Royce is a lock at first next year either, and said the defense/run prevention needs to improve. "Teams are running at will against the Twins. Enough is enough. Come on." Also agrees that we have too many utility players. Predicts Keaschall will play left field next year. 

Stars around the 28-minute mark.

Good stuff, thanks, Cory! 

 

Posted

This conversation brought up a couple topics that I can't get my head around for roster building next year, specifically on the position player side;

1) Provus' comment about teams running at will. I know Vahn Lackey should be strong at that when he debuts, but it won't be opening day. If they are moving on from Jeffers, I have to think a catcher coming in who truly can help control the running game better is probably a priority for Zoll/front office (if he is making the decisions.) Provus, I feel like, wouldn't just throw this out there for no reason. We all love Jeffers' bat and ability to work with pitchers, but controlling the running game is not at all a strength of either his or Caratini. I also don't like the free agent crop of catchers, so maybe there is someone on some team who they really do like who they will trade for? Who are some options at catcher for players who are strong at helping with throwing out runners?

2) 1B. I don't know what happened with Royce. He came up from AAA and looked every bit the part of the middle of an order bat. Then he just started either chasing everything or popping everything up. He looks lost. He played alright defense at 1B it seems, but I have a hard time penciling him to start 1B. Maybe they tag him and let him start as a bench/utility guy with the chance to earn a spot back if he can hit again, but it also feels like he could be a change of scenery type.

IF that is the case, a guy I've mentioned all year that would be PERFECT for Target Field is Isaac Paredes. I don't know what Houston would want, but I'd love to trade for him and extend him, especially if Tom Pohlad is going to be spending money this offseason. He said the payroll will be higher, so here is a way to get someone in and raise the payroll.

A LOT of the rest of the positions are already written in pencil with younger guys. Lee is going to be at 3B, Culpepper at SS (until Houston is ready) and outfield so far consists of Buxton (assuming he is back) along with Jenkins, Keaschall and Rodriguez, with Roden probably as the 5th outfielder and Clemens possibly starting at 2B and moving to utility, assuming health. That's all a strong lineup generally, but they need a middle of the order bat. Paredes, to me, is a great option.

Oh, and I do love hearing Cory talk. Thanks for sharing.

Posted
10 hours ago, Cory Engelhardt said:

Oh, and I do love hearing Cory talk. Thanks for sharing.

Great post, and I agree - Cory is the best. I bet his upcoming interview will be a good one too. I'll share it once it's on YT. 

Posted

We do not seem particularly loaded with 1st base prospects. Sabato isn't a big league player even with small sample size. The fact they didn't promote until end of season shows he has no defensive position. First base may be Clemens best defensive position. Royce seems decent at 2nd base, not sure why he was reluctant to play there. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, jaimedude said:

We do not seem particularly loaded with 1st base prospects. Sabato isn't a big league player even with small sample size. The fact they didn't promote until end of season shows he has no defensive position. First base may be Clemens best defensive position. Royce seems decent at 2nd base, not sure why he was reluctant to play there. 

Royce has to hit more like he did for the month or so after his call up. Then you put him wherever fits. If he hits like August/September, then he is more of a utility at best no?

Posted

Cory thinks the Twins will try to sign Aroldis Chapman. Maybe Zebby to the bullpen too. Doesn’t think Ryan is traded over the offseason. Unsure of Bailey’s future. “Glad I don’t have to make that call.”

Posted
31 minutes ago, Saxophone Joe said:

Cory thinks the Twins will try to sign Aroldis Chapman. Maybe Zebby to the bullpen too. Doesn’t think Ryan is traded over the offseason. Unsure of Bailey’s future. “Glad I don’t have to make that call.”

Thank you for sharing again.

I think IF Jeffers does move on, going back to the last comment, maybe they try to trade either Ryan or Ober to a team that has a decent young catcher that has some solid pop time.

St. Louis has a LOT of catching depth that has mlb experience. I wonder if Leo Bernal could be had for Joe Ryan if the Cardinals still want him. I'd be curious if they would throw in a pitching prospect with him. Bernal and then eventually Lackey would make a strong catching tandem I'd have to imagine.

I don't know how much I want Chapman. Shelton has worked with him though, and he certainly had a good year this season.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Twins community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...