Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Oldgoat_MN

Verified Member
  • Posts

    2,437
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Oldgoat_MN

  1. I had not thought of Gimenez as a potential trade target, but I suppose it could go that way. One should not get too excited at what the return would be, however, as he would be a 2.5 month rental. The numbers Garver has put up and maintained this year in AAA are very promising. Nonetheless, I suspect that we won't see him until September, if then. Gimenez is one of Falvine's 'guys' and we are seeing some evidence that those players are nearly bulletproof when it comes to a roster position (Belisle, Breslow, Haley).
  2. RickMahlerUnsungHero - this is the quote from TalkChop: My sister is dating a guy working locally for one of the Twins minor league affiliates. He tells her that they don’t know yet because they’re waiting for medical clearance, but they think maybe a catcher? (I know this is a stretch, but I just wanted to humblebrag about my potential brother-in-law. Don’t screw this up sis!) I liked the 'humblebrag' line.
  3. Important distinction? Not sure. I'm pretty bad at a lot of things. Yet no one has ever called me 'pretty'. Hmm...
  4. Someone on the Braves chat site said they had some Twins related source that claimed it was a catcher. I will be very disappointed if it is Garver. I know a lot of folks are content with Gimenez's .200 BA, as he is an interesting player, but Garver has an OPS of .912 this year. He has been hitting well all year. He's also played some 1B and OF. If he were primarily an outfielder with those stats there are several posters here who would have spent some energy insisting that Rosario be replaced by him.
  5. It was 2007 and the player we traded away was Luis Castillo. Casilla took his place. He was a good player for us overall, but at 22 years old in 2007 he posted an OPS almost .200 less than the OPS Castillo was putting up. And yes, Johan was unusually vocal about it. Quite upset. (paraphrasing) "We are always playing for the future. When does the future ever show up?"
  6. Jeff Samardzija has an ERA of 4.86, but he has an FIP of 3.51. He also has a WHIP of 1.169, a K rate of 9.8/9, the lowest walk rate in the NL and the best K/W ratio in the NL (9.64). He is signed for 3 more years. If for some reason the Giants were willing to move him he would be worth a king's ransom. I would start with Romero and Buxton. Seriously. And I love Buxton.
  7. Mitch Garver's number are not a result of SSS. His batting average has been on the rise seemingly all season, he has had an OPS of >.800 nearly all season and it currently sits at .915. As Gimenez is a free agent at the end of the year, I cannot imagine that Garver wouldn't get an opportunity to join the club in September and would be penciled in as the backup catcher next spring. OTOH, he's not a Falvine acquisition and I continue to wonder how much that plays into the opportunity a player might be given.
  8. Rosario's OPS in 2017 by month: April ..... .660 May ...... .810 June .... .860 July ...... .859 There is no team in baseball that wouldn't take that from their corner outfielder. His D isn't as flashy as Buxton's or Kepler's, but it is still pretty solid defense. We are quickly getting spoiled. Good for us!
  9. July 15 and Haley records his first win of the season. Falvine must be so proud. Sorry for the snark, but Haley is eating up a 40 man position (and when healthy, a 25-man position) and it annoys me.
  10. 5. Exception to the rule – I really don’t know what to do with this new information I just read about. Scientists in New Mexico have discovered that there is an exception to the rule that states that there are exceptions to every rule. And there we have it! The exception that proves the rule.
  11. I believe, and have said, the same. The Twins FO knows they have the defense and offense to support a good starting rotation into the playoffs with a chance to actually do something in the playoffs. One trade (off-season, probably) and one FA signing. If they both pan out then we have a chance to win the division and go deep into the playoffs. Of course we have to figure out who belongs in the bullpen, but we really are that close.
  12. While safety is certainly a factor, what with all those children running around in the outfield, they also want people to watch the majestic home runs. Throwing up pitch after pitch sounds OK, but would actually detract something from the viewing audience, especially the television audience. And we mustn't have that! On another note, I liked this format but no one hit more home runs than Bour in a single round except Judge, and he only did it once (to beat Bour). Bour put on quite a show. Same number of HR in his one round as Sano had in his first two rounds combined.
  13. The Twins know, better than anyone else, what Gordon's weaknesses are and what the odds are that he will be a significant asset as a MLB SS. I don't think that anyone is off the table. They'd have to offer an arm and a leg for Sano or Berrios. Our OF is not deep at all, so any of them would be difficult to part with. MI is the only place (oddly enough) where we have depth currently and help on the way. So yeah, we have to listen.
  14. I temper my optimism perhaps too much, but at this point in time there are only 3 players in the American League with an OBP >= 40%. I hope good things for Granite. Expectations set too high insist on a perceived result of 'BUST'.
  15. I was at the game standing in the Minny & Paul section (straight away CF) and knew enough to keep an eye on Buxton, glanced at the ball being fielded and wondered if Glynn would send him. He did, and it was amazing. Man that guy is fast! Really fun to watch.
  16. We are all in a wait and see mode with what these players can deliver. I'd have still liked MacKenzie Gore at #1 (signed for $6.7M), but I am an Old Goat, not a scout. Good luck to all our new organization members!
  17. I don't understand that, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion. You must sell your house and move whenever Belisle come in, hmm?..
  18. Rosario is posting his career best BA, OBP and SLG. He has as many walks this year (in 75 games) as he has ever had in a season. He is coming around to what the Twins had hoped he would be. His OPS for April/May/June is .660/.810/.860. There is no way I would trade Rosario for a relief pitcher. Escobar? I'd hate to lose him, but maybe...
  19. This time the Californians will have to stay up late. Priceless.
  20. I have never read of anyone who said Buxton has a 'compact swing'. Sending him to AAA would only reinforce his 'long swing'. He'll be able to hit those pitchers without making the adjustments necessary to succeed in MLB. It would be like sending Rosario down to learn to swing at strikes. In AAA Rosario can hit anything they throw that's reachable with bat. It would only reinforce bad habits. I don't know the solution. I do wonder if a fast, good CF with a OBP>=.330 would be better for the team than Buck looking hapless at the plate far more often than not. And then I wonder if they could get a promising AA pitcher for him...
  21. I love it that we have a player named Joe Cronin. Makes it tough to look up his BB-Ref stats, though.
  22. The ground ball approach worked well for Luis Castillo. At the Metrodome. Hitting it into the cement. A guy with Buxton's skills should be hitting line drives and long fly balls. Get him comfortable. Anyone who can hit with the BA & OBP he produced in AA and AAA should be able to hit at least average in MLB.
  23. I find this very curious. I know that Boshers has been a popular whipping boy here on TD, but consider the following: Boshers has a lower ERA, FIP, xFIP, BB/9 and WHIP. Boshers has a higher K/9 than Belisle. Not trying to pick a fight, just wondering how you would reach the conclusion that Boshers would likely go before Belisle? If you say it is because Belisle is 'their' guy and Boshers is not, I think some of us might admit that things appear to go that way on this club. Any other reason eludes me at the moment. Thank you
×
×
  • Create New...