Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

LastOnePicked

Verified Member
  • Posts

    1,959
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    10

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by LastOnePicked

  1. If I'm Tom Pohlad, I do two things: 1) I order Zoll to make the QO to Jeffers immediately. Let him know that there's a place for him in 2027, but if he can land a 2-3 year extension from someone else, take it. We'll take the compensatory pick. 2) And then I change my last name to Richlad. I'm Tom Richlad. If we can't change the ownership here, at least change the vibe.
  2. They do seem to defer too much to what Buxton says about his health compared to what his performance suggests about his health. I know he's been the face of franchise, but that's got to stop. If you have to choose between being fully stocked and prepared to win every game and being concerned about hurting a player's feelings, you have to choose preparation and roster readiness every time.
  3. Sometimes I can't tell if this is genuine or if it's like an Andy Kaufman kind of thing. Carry on either way - it's fun. But it's possible - just possible - that there are better teams in MLB. Maybe even 3-4 better teams in the AL Central.
  4. Is it, though? How many innings has Lopez pitched over the last two seasons? How many wins does Ryan have in the second half? And Jeffers seems to be wilting. I mean, I think you have to keep them, but ultimately I think the Twins are going to be stuck with rapidly depreciating assets.
  5. Well then the answer is simple. Cut the season down to 81 games.
  6. Not terrible, but the bust potential for this lineup on any given night seems pretty high. And the boom potential seems a bit missing, too. Left-centerfield in Target Field may prove to be a killer for a number of Jenkins' potential home runs. E-Rod is the unknown factor here in terms of power. I think you have to sign a slugging first baseman. It's a shame Sabato never got a chance to show what he could do here, but maybe the Twins have a more realistic picture of his chances to succeed. If the Twins had made wise trades in the offseason, who knows, maybe these gaps could have been filled by young, controllable stars as soon as mid-2027. As it is, if Pohlad wants a winner, he'll have to do what Pohlads rarely ever do: spend money in free agency to improve the team. Tom, if you do spend some real money this offseason, pay very close attention to the physical exams first.
  7. The only chance for recouping value for Lopez and Ryan next year is if they A) lead the team to a title or B) perform well enough and are healthy enough to warrant interest at the trade deadline. A is of course preferable, but neither chance is very likely. But there's probably no chance of recouping value for Jeffers at this point. $24M is a lot to pay for a regressing catcher. But, the Pohlads have the money, so I say make the offer, see if you can at least get a compensatory draft pick for him if he declines, or hope he has a little magic in the tank for '27. Should we trade Lewis? We'll get nothing in return for for him. We'd be selling very low on an asset that had incredible potential. But that's practically the Pohlad's business strategy in a nutshell, so maybe that's what will happen. And maybe it is time to move on. It's tragic, though. They have no choice but to be "all in" again for 2027. If Tom Pohlad is smart, he'll use free agency to supplement this team with a 30+HR first baseman, a #2 dependable starter and a first-rate reliever. Payroll needs to be at least league average. Tell Zoll that if it doesn't work out, the club will eat salary at the trade deadline. I never thought this competitive window was open, but Tom does ... so prove it. Or for the love of God, sell the team.
  8. Re-sign him. Let him put up solid numbers, then trade him to the Rays for a starting pitching prospect.
  9. Won't the Twins also need starting pitching? I can see Ober sneaking in quite a few starts as a #5 or #6 next year.
  10. Yeah, I'm probably the most pessimistic jerk here and even I thought that comparison went too far. :)
  11. The game might be played by holographic robots by then, but I like the optimism.
  12. Well then i's hard for me to imagine any other ways my prediction could have been wrong. Maybe his name isn't even Walker.
  13. Probably because the catcher thought he was hallucinating.
  14. I'm listening on the radio and they claimed Bell stole second base. That can't be right, can it?
  15. You're free to believe whatever you like. But beliefs aren't facts. Yes, he's clearly stated he's wanted to be a Twin for life. He also stated last December that he didn't want to stay on a team that was rebuilding. He was also hurt that the FO didn't clarify their stance on never trying to - or wanting to - trade him. That's his prerogative. And it's all a moot point anyway. You can't trade him now even if he was unhappy here, because you'd get nothing for him in return. The league knows he can't stay on the field.
  16. Not now. But even Dan Hayes reported last year that he wouldn't have stayed on for a rebuild. So yes, you could have, But yes, you can't now.
  17. Gotten us a better shot at a higher draft pick in the lottery?
  18. This is the kind of thing I point at ownership, not at a guy doing everything he can to stay healthy and help this team win. Look, I absolutely would have facilitated a trade for him in offseason. I think it's time for the organization to turn the page. But I don't put even an ounce of blame on Buxton for the state of this franchise.
  19. Fair article, Cody. Gleeman had some very good takes on this issue over the last month or so, and his answer is that the Twins most certainly could have found room for Jenkins to play regularly. Would that have made all the difference? Who knows. Momentum and "vibes" are a weird thing in baseball. I'll say this - for a team claiming to go "all in," it was frustrating to see them revert to their nibbling ways. Not unexpected, but frustrating. I think the bigger issue is Buxton's health. When he goes down and the Twins don't have another solid option in CF, the team just seems to wilt. I thought back to the last time the Twins were somewhat successful (2023), and it seems like having Michael A. Taylor and his Gold Glove as Buxton's replacement really, really helped. You just can't build a playoff push around guys who can't take the field in August/September.
  20. I think this is true about the failure to make trades in the offseason. But during the season, at the deadline? I think they had boxed themselves in and probably had to be buyers. Hard to imagine what it would have done to the clubhouse if you sold at the deadline while only being a game back in a winnable race. Pohlad couldn't pull the trigger on an offseason rebuild because he thought that the bad PR would lead to bad press and lower attendance. But he got the lower attendance anyways because there's nothing all that exciting about a mostly veteran team sputtering along at just below .500. Lesson: Build a plan, take your lumps, hire the smartest executives and reap the benefits when you win. It's a lesson no Pohlad after Carl will ever learn.
  21. It's not that Buxton caves under pressure. He's got a strong will to succeed and a great work ethic and he's the most loyal player a team could hope for. As a fan of the Twins, I think the world of him. But he also has, as Reusse said, a "bad skeleton" for baseball. His body is just not capable of sustaining health. And it's never going to change. You can't trade him at this point, and you probably shouldn't try. But if the Twins want to win in 2027, they are going to have to tell him he's no longer the starting CF here. He's a platoon outfielder, and if that's a dealbreaker, he'll need to let them know.
×
×
  • Create New...