Twins Daily
  • Create Account

My Twins Offseason Plan

Zach Wolk

My idea for the Twins offseason is...

SP: I would have to Twins signing two solid veteran pitchers, one a little more well known and respected could return to previous form and be an ace in Kershaw, as well as a solid veteran lefty in Kikuchi. I also though Dobank could start the year in the rotation, where he isn't amazing but he will give time for some potential BP/AAA guys such as Doran, Thorpe, etc to develop and take his spot later in the season. 

1. Clayton Kershaw (RHP) ~$18M

2. Yusei Kikuchi (LHP) ~$15M

3. Randy Dobnak (RHP) ~$0.8M

4. Bailey Ober (RHP) ~$0.6M

5. Joe Ryan (RHP) ~$0.6M 

RP: Our bullpen would include 3 lefties (including the cp) and 5 righties. Mychal Givens is a veteran RP who had ok number in 2021 but will be good for vet experience in a somewhat unexperienced BP. 

*Cody Stashak is in the BP pending on his health after missing most of 2021. Could be replaced with another young cheap RHP if not healthy. 

RP/SP6: Lewis Thorpe (LHP) ~$0.6M

RP/SP7: Cody Stashak (RHP) ~$0,6M

RP: Juan Minaya (RHP) ~$1.0M

RP: Tyler Duffey (RHP) ~$3.5M

RP: Caleb Thielbar (LHP) ~$1.5M

RP: Mychal Givens (RHP) ~$4.0M

RP: Jorge Alcala (RHP) ~$0.6M

CP/RP: Taylor Rogers (LHP) ~$7.0M

Positon Players: I kept most position player from 2021 with the team. At SS I picked up Freddie Galvis who is a cheap SS who is know for his great defensive (similar to Simmons) but has a strong arm and can hit the ball out of the ballpark 10-20 times a season. I also thought that Kyle Garlick played well for the team last year before his injury he had a .232 BA in 99 AB, he also has solid defense and is on a cheap rookie contract. Resigning Nelson Cruz was done for a couple reasons one he is one of the true DH's available as well as he is a clubhouse leader and veteran, and with an influx of youth coming in, it will be important for his to help mentor them as well. I also think he won't need to play every single day as he is getting older 1-2 days a week of rest. It would be ideal if we could get him for less than 10M but I believe that will be the going rate. 

1B: Miguel Sano ~$9.25M

2B: Jorge Polanco ~$5.5M

3B: Josh Donaldson ~$21.0M

SS: Freddie Galvis ~$3.0M

C : Mitch Garver ~$3.5M

RF: Max Kepler ~$6.75M

LF: Alex Kirilloff ~$0.6M

CF: Byron Buxton ~$8.0M

UTILITY: Luis Arraez ~$1.5M

UTILITY: Nick Gordon ~$0.6M

4th OF: Kyle Garlick ~$0.6M

BACKUP C : Ryan Jeffers ~$0.6M

DH: Nelson Cruz ~10.0M 

Dobnak, IMO, shouldn’t be in the opening day rotation, let alone the #3 starter.

There’s no way the Dodgers are going to let go of a franchise icon like Kershaw.

I haven’t even heard of Yusei Kikuchi prior to reading this. I looked at his stats: yuck. No thanks.

I agree that Ober and Joe Ryan should be in the opening day rotation. I think they should have Ober as their #5 and Ryan as their #3, and fill in the holes from there. I’d sign a Robbie Ray/Kevin Gausman type and make a trade to fill in the top two spots. Maybe sign a solid veteran on a cheap deal to fill the #4 spot.

Relying on Stashak and Thorpe to fill spots in the pen, IMO, wouldn’t be a wise choice. Both struggled in 2021 when they were on the major league roster.

I will agree that I don't see Kershaw ever NOT in a Dodger uniform. I do like the Kikuchi addition (he would be a trade no?)

Galvis is fine, I suppose. I don't anticipate that they will end up with one of the bigger name shortstops (that would be fun) but I'd LOVE Chris Taylor as an option if possible. Just not Simmons again :)

I hope Dobnak and his finger get healthy, but I don't think at this point he should be penciled into the rotation to start the year. I don't agree with Lewis Thorpe being in the bullpen, especially over someone like Jovani Moran. And I would guess they add two veterans, not just one (but I do like Mychal Givens though.) You aren't bringing back Colome either?