LyleCole
Verified Member-
Posts
250 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
News
Minnesota Twins Videos
2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking
2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits
Guides & Resources
2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
The Minnesota Twins Players Project
2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker
2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses
Forums
Blogs
Events
Store
Downloads
Gallery
Everything posted by LyleCole
-
Brandon Winokur Made It to Double-A. What's Next?
LyleCole replied to Cody Christie's topic in Twins Minor League Talk
The kid still has significant potential and is still very young for his level. He still is a top 10 level prospect in anyone who pays attention book and probably would be across almost every MLB franchise. The Twins are smart in using him at 3B where is more natural roster fit will be evident. -
Where Does Vahn Lackey Rank Among Twins Top Prospects?
LyleCole replied to Cody Christie's topic in Twins Minor League Talk
I don't know, those were just picks that did not work out. Jay was rated in the top 10 where the Twins drafted him. I never liked the Cacavo pick. I thought there was too much hype to him, but he was rated #28 on MLB draft prospect and was "moving up" type of prospect. Aaron Sabato was rated 41. But glad they did not do anything fancy too. I still do not think the Tilley pick was smart though.- 50 replies
-
- vahn lackey
- walker jenkins
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
I don't disagree. Plus those guys usually require a much higher bonus to get them to drop their college commitment as well as take much longer to develop for any return on investment.
- 50 replies
-
- 2026 mlb draft
- vahn lackey
- (and 4 more)
-
Brooks Lee. Has he performed as well as what the expectations were for the 8th overall pick? Have any of the pitchers, including Prielipp really established themselves as players you want to depend on???
- 50 replies
-
- 2026 mlb draft
- vahn lackey
- (and 4 more)
-
Maybe??? Are any of those guys your mention established major league players? Maybe? Idk.
- 50 replies
-
- 2026 mlb draft
- vahn lackey
- (and 4 more)
-
One criticism anyone can make about negative comments about the Twins, and MLB draft in particular, is that it is impossible to amateur scout these players. The Twins scouts have and they have watched many reps of these players. And I will also preface this with the statement that I thought Ryan Jeffers was not a very good pick in his draft. But, I think there is something wrong with the Twins draft models and their strategic decision making and I think two points about the first 4 rounds of the 2026 draft make this clear. First, the 2nd round decision to take Carson Tinney and the 3rd round decision to take high school pitcher Ethan Waschman. First, the Tinney choice. While some believe this is not Aaron Sabato II and that he has premium value as catcher, I question the need to bring in a limited bat to ball power hitter into the system at this time and I discount his positional value significantly because a) he is not very mobile and b) we just drafted a guy who we plan on being the catcher of the future in the previous round along with having another top prospect at the position in A+ who will be competing for PAs against these two college draft picks who need to move up the ladder fast. Tinney has a very high strike out rate and struggles against off speed pitches that often will get worse as he faces better quality pitchers at each minor league level up to the majors. He also did not perform well with the wood bats in the Cape. He only hit .165 with 39 strike outs in 90 total plate appearances. In another thread I commented that there was a scout that stated Tinney's position is "Batters Box" and I think that is what he should be developed as. Work him at 1B 40% of the games, DH 40% of the games, and maybe catch 20% of the games. Shift his defensive spectrum to the lower end and let him concentrate on hitting rather than catching. And while you should take the best player on your board, I simply do not understand how college pitchers do not have enough weight in whatever decision models the Twins are utilizing. Second, the Waschmann choice. This kid could be the next CyYoung, but I just have a problem with the Twins taking a high school pitcher when their development success of high school pitchers has been so limited. They can't keep Charlie Soto, a Comp A selection with a $2.5 million signing healthy. He is in his 3rd year in the organization and has thrown 15.2 innings betweein 2025 and 2026. And Dasan Hill, a Comp B player who signed for an overslot $2 million bonus has completely fallen apart with control in 2026. We hope they both get back on track and certainly they can. But with the pitching staff from top to bottom of the organization being what it is where we snap up every discarded pitcher on the designated for assignment wire and trade for replacement level 35 year old relief pitchers just above the replacement line at best, we need to inject faster moving pieces into the pipeline. Now, I can see drafting a high school pitcher from the top of the board if we would have taken a college pitcher in round 2, but we doubled up on catcher in round 2. I get we took Brett Renfrow, who is a reasonable pick in Comp B round. From what I saw there was a wide range of rankings on Renfrow and he seems to have the same profile as Cole Sands. I am sure that rounds 5-20 will continue the Twins strategy of hitting this level of 4 year college pitching, but I think it is just going to add more of the same. I wish all of these kids, and the organization, good luck. I am not trying to be negative on them, just how the Twins make their selections.
- 50 replies
-
- 2026 mlb draft
- vahn lackey
- (and 4 more)
-
The Twins have drafted catches just about every draft. 2025 Ryan Sprock 8th round traded for a 35 year old reliever 2024 Khadim Diaw 3rd round (AA) Infamous Derek Bender 6th round 2023 none 2022 Andrew Cossetti 11th round (AA) Nate Baez 12th round 2021 Noah Cardenas 8th round (AAA) Pat Winkel 9th round 2020 none - only 5 round covid draft 2019 none 2018 Ryan Jeffers 2nd round (MLB) Charles Mack 6th round Chris Williams 8th round They also have three other catchers in the system: Ricardo Olivare signed Venezuala (AAA) Eduardo Tait acquired in trade (A+) Enrique Jimenez acquired in trade (A+) I dont think the evidence indicates the Twins have neglected the position. It just has been a very uncertain yield on the position since they selected Jeffers. And, although unlike other professional sports draft position is not as big of a factor in selecting when you have a Joe Mauer or even to a lesser extend Ryan Jeffers, the position is not draft critical. If the Twins drafted Carson Tinney as a backup catcher, as you mention (I think somewhat in passing), then I think it is a worse pick than I thought. That is just undershooting the draft value by a lot and you have to hope that someone currently in the system like Eduardo Tait or Khiam Diaw can at least develop into the #2 catcher role behind Lackey. And that is another issue I have with the selection. Again, while positional value really has a lower premium in the MLB draft, if TInney is going to be developed as a catcher there are a lot of younger guys (Tait is just 19 and Enrique Jimenez just 20) that will have some of their development reps removed as they work through the system at almost the same level as Tinney. Lastly, I think the best way to maximize Tinney's development is to move him down, way down, the defensive spectrum. One draft analyst basically noted his position was "Batters Box". Let him concentrate on hitting the baseball instead of putting on the gear or even having to learn a new position.
-
I don't think Tinney is destined to be a catcher in the Twins organization. He might play some games there, but I think he is a 1B and DH guy going forward. With a lot of DHing. Do we another Aaron Sabato type of guy with the only added premium being some chance behind the plate? Hopefully he can improve his bat to ball skills and use the huge power he has. I would have taken Ben Blair, a RHP from Liberty, who was selected 49th.
-
Solid pick. Like others said, glad they did not get cute. WIth respect to Jeffers, at the trade deadline all that matters is what the Twins ownership want to do with Jeffers and Joe Ryan for that matter in the future. Do they want minimal payroll or are they willing to make market rate free agent offers to these players. It is a simple choice. If the answer to the market rate free agent offer is no, then trading them is a no brainer. It has to be done. And, only the Twins ownership can answer that question.
-
For what it is worth, this is my mock draft. It is basically compiled the same way as the above because it have very limited independent information. Round 1. It is Roch Cholowsky-Vahn Lackey-Grady Emerson via process of elimination. Don't try anything fancy, daring, or risky. Don't try to save pool money so we can draft a high bonus player in a later round. This is considered a 3 player top tier draft almost by consensus, pick one of the top 3. Round 2 Pick 43 Ben Blair RHP Liberty He seems like a Twins type of starter. There might be a couple of other college pitchers I would pick ahead of him but he seems to have a lot of intriguing pitches and I like his funky delivery, Keith Law ranked #60 Comp B Pick 74 Aiden Robbins OF Texas Law ranked 86. But has MLB has him as #29. One of those multitude of MLB draft prospects with wide range of outside ranking. But, he led the Cap in average, slugging percentage and OPS and I value the wooden bat data. Round 3, Pick 79 Ruger Riojas RHP Texas I like his pitch mix and I think his floor is a decent setup reliever in the majors. He is a senior prospect that can perhaps be signed for somewhat under slot. I understand the OP's methodology, but there is no way the Twins should select high school pitchers in any draft. Our track record of developing HS pitchers that are our original draft picks is mediocre at best. The only current pitcher drafted by the Twins on the roster (of course on disabled list) is Marco Raya. Since 2008 draft, the only drafted HS pitchers that have pitched for the Twins at the MLB level have been the aforementioned Raya (6 innings this season then to the 15 day IL). Jovani Moran drafted 2015. Jose Berrios drafted 2012. Michael Tonkin drafted 2008. They have most certainly have had a college arm preference, but have used high picks on Landon Leach and Blayne Enlow, and I would argue that of the HS pitchers drafted by the Twins most are struggling. Charlie Soto (injured). Dasan HIll. Dylan Questad. From 2017 not a huge sample size it is true, but very limited results is also true.
-
Trading Ryan Jeffers Would Be the Wrong Move for the Twins
LyleCole replied to Sam Caulder's topic in Minnesota Twins Talk
Buy low, sell high. I agree with the comments that the Twins need to evaluate the return on any trade offer on their core players: Buxton, Ryan, Jeffers. Lesser extend Larnach, Lewis. But, if they do not trade Ryan Jeffers they must be committed to paying the full market rate for the catcher once he reaches free agency. If his market value of a free agent contract is 4 years, $56 million that is what they should commit to being in the market for. If they have no intention of paying him anywhere close to the market rate, hoping for some home town discount or whatever, then he should be heavily markets at the trade deadline. The only minimum issue then is if the offer is more valuable than waiting for any comp pick they might get. But also remember that the QO is more than $23 million so there is a risk that the offer could put a complete hole in their budget. And here is the deal, if they are not willing to pay Jeffers a market rate when he becomes a free agent then why pay Ryan, and to a lesser extend Buxton even though he is under contract. If htey are too cheap to maintain a team, then rebuild again. -
For now the starting 5 should be Ryan-Bradley-Prielipp-Matthews-Paredes. Bullpen Gomez-Morris-Raya-The Suck and whatever other arms they scrounge up. NOthing against Taylor Rogers, but one way or another he should be off the roster by the trade deadline. Same with Banda. And unless he turns around, Orze.
-
Week in Review: Battling the Big Dawgs
LyleCole replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Based on? His career minor league 4.50 ERA? He was a dominant closer for a couple of his seasons in the Korean baseball league, but he was a not dominant closer in most of his seasons in Korea. He has not been dominant in minor league baseball either. I hope he is a great pitcher. But this constant stream of cast offs, including this one from the fn Detroit Tigers has to be discouraging.- 84 replies
-
- josh bell
- tristan gray
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Week in Review: Battling the Big Dawgs
LyleCole replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Yes, the Twins have made another amazing acquisition trading Cash Consideration. We acquired We Suk Now, or something like that from Detroit.- 84 replies
-
- josh bell
- tristan gray
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
The yield on draft picks is so low you just have to keep hammering. I agree with your approach. Take the absolute top guy on your board without overthinking ("we can pay under slot and try to sign someone later"). Then draft college arms rounds with the next three picks and get them moving up the system.
-
It's Time to Start Worrying About Dasan Hill
LyleCole replied to Sam Caulder's topic in Twins Minor League Talk
I think it is long past worrying about the entire way the Twins scout, draft, and develop players. Twins Daily has long presented the Twins system as favorable to pitcher development, but I don't think the facts support that proposition. Of pitchers drafted and developed by the Twins, how many of them have reached the point of being "established"? Bailey Ober who had 2-3 years as a regular starting rotation pitcher with high level of productivity. OF course, the last two seasons he has fallen off that level. And I would argue that because of his low velocity he is an outlier. Griffin Jax as a reliever not a starter Other than Ober and Jax? Connor Prielipp Zebby Matthews Andrew Morris Travis Adams Cole Sands Cody Lawyerson Make Paredes David Festa -
I am not fooled by anything. But I also will state that there is a progression of prospects and that certain members of your organization can earn their chance to make it to the big leagues. Aaron Saboto has earned a promotion. WIll it be a long one? IDK. But I don't see how promoting him and giving him 100 plate appearances would hurt anything. If he strikes out 60 times, well..... But that is better than bringing in another waiver wire replacement level player.
-
I agree with the idea that the only way I send Luke to AAA is if they bring up Culpepper, but I would also add Kyle Fedko to the list, or maybe Ben Ross. If they are sending him down so they can squeeze another "designated for assignment" 31 year old cash deal replacement players then no. Have him work out his problems at the major league level.
-
It is pretty impressive that the Twins Daily mock draft earlier has three guys Law now projects to be drafted in the first round.
- 33 replies
-
- vahn lackey
- roch cholowsky
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Yep.... we got ourselves another designated for assignment TREASURE.
- 4 replies
-
- minor league report
- jhon gonzalez
- (and 8 more)
-
The Twins Need to Cash in on Kody Clemens Right Now
LyleCole replied to Sam Caulder's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I think the team control is a bit overstated in that he will be Arbitration-1 eligible for next season. I would estimate he is going to get around $2.5 million in arbitration for 2027 tripling is current salary. Then assuming a similar season, around $4.5 million (See Trevor Larnach). While in modern professional sports contract values that is not a huge amount, I think it is for Kody Clemons. But I also agree with those who state that the price has to be right. Its still a cheap contract, and that adds value to the team who is acquiring, but if you can't get a guy that at least has some potential of being a MLB player there is no sense in trading him. Just keep him as a versatile veteran presence who has some pop in his bat. The value in trading him is not just getting a propsect back, but clearing the way for some of their AAA players. I would really, really like to see them give Aaron Sabato a chance with enough time left in the season to give him 150 plate appearances. Aaron has paid his dues since being a first round draft pick in 2020. He has obviously worked hard and has seemingly improved. He has cut his K% down somewhat, he ha a .360 OBP and .615 SLG%. He is 27 years old so his opportunity window to make the Major Leagues is getting close to being shut. If he strikes out 78 times in those 150 PAs, which is a distinct possibility, you saw him strike out 78 times but still gave him a chance. I think it is important to the organization to give opportunities to draft picks like Sabato who have moved up the organization and got better each year. Otherwise, why even have these players in your organization. -
I would probably still be on the Lackey bandwagon for the #3 pick, but I am also a believer in isolating statistics of draft prospects in any sports and only looking at their stats against the very best competition they play. I think the catcher position is still underwhelming in our system even with the 2025 acquisition of Tait and Lackey could be a guy that is with the team sooner rather than later. But if they analyze what he did against the best NCAA pitching and see too many flaws then they have a lot of options. Assuming the first pick is Lackey, I don't see pick 43 being a high school hitter. I would prefer a college arm like Jack Radel. He probably doesn't have the highest upside, but I think he has a decent floor, good size, starter combination of pitches, and again could be contributing in a year or two with the Twins. And I agree with you that the Twins need to keep pounding the 2-3-4 round with college pitching prospects, and need to take at least 2 college pitcher with picks 43-74-79, with the other pick being a college OF prospect. Of course, my knowledge of baseball prospect, literally thousands of them in HS and college, is only surface deep.

