D. Hocking
Verified Member-
Posts
2,504 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
1
Content Type
Profiles
News
Minnesota Twins Videos
2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking
2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits
Guides & Resources
2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
The Minnesota Twins Players Project
2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker
2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses
Forums
Blogs
Events
Store
Downloads
Gallery
Everything posted by D. Hocking
-
Are you suggesting that the next time Joe has to give a speech at Target Field he is not going to make comments how his wife filled out her shirt? I heard an interview of Trevor Plouffe somewhere where he was asked about Mauer and he said he was closet hysterical, He also said you assume him being that nice is somewhat an act when you meet him and then at some point you realize, he is that nice. I probably err on the side of being too much of a Mauer homer, but I will still see internet comments or tweets about a sports event and someone manages to bring up Mauer's contract or bilateral weakness. I want to say, it might be time to let it go and move on.
-
Joe Mauer's Guide to the Minnesota State Fair
D. Hocking replied to RandBalls Stu's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I think the real issue for the traffic back-up, is that the motorcade would not go faster than five miles below the speed limit, would not run any yellow lights, and would stop traffic anytime an old lady wanted to cross the street.- 13 replies
-
- joe mauer
- glen perkins
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Joe Mauer's Guide to the Minnesota State Fair
D. Hocking replied to RandBalls Stu's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
And egocentric celebrities like Mauer who inconvenience everyone by closing down the Dairy Barn for hours so he and his entourage can have it all to themselves as he drinks his milk from a crystal champagne glass.- 13 replies
-
- joe mauer
- glen perkins
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Minnesota’s Forgotten Home Run Derby Champ
D. Hocking replied to Ted Schwerzler 's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Didn't the person giving him the award call him Jason? 2014 - not a great year for the Twins in general, but fond memories of Perk closing out the Mpls All-Star game with Kurt as his catcher. -
Gardenhire, Gladden, and Tovar to Twins Hall of Fame
D. Hocking replied to Ted Schwerzler 's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I am guessing Mauer once he is eligible (is it five years off of the team?). I don't have an issue with any of the inductees, but they are going to run into some dry years, and as someone mentioned above, I wonder if they should have spread them out over three years..- 30 replies
-
- ron gardenhire
- dan gladden
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
The Lockout Diaries: Week 7
D. Hocking replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I don't have cable, so do not have ESPN etc. Is this being covered heavily there? Maybe I have missed it, but this seems to be hardly covered in the regular news, and spring training is not that far away. If this was football, I feel like it would be a bigger story outside the sports channels. -
Twins Bring On Bob Baffert in Consultant Role
D. Hocking replied to RandBalls Stu's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I think this actually has some potential.- 23 replies
-
- kentucky derby
- cosmonaut urine
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Welcome to the New Twins Daily
D. Hocking replied to John Bonnes's topic in Twins Daily's Questions About The Site
This might be the most exciting upgrade since the arrival of the mouse -- congrats on the update. -
Ten Moments that shook the sports world
D. Hocking commented on mikelink45's blog entry in mikelink45's Blog
1980 Miracle on Ice. Not technically a MN event, but since Minnesota claims any connection (they adopted a pet who was born in Minnesota) and the team did actually have a strong Minnesota presence. It was probably one of the biggest things from my home town to have someone on the team including big celebrations when he returned to town. Strange to think that night we were not even watching the game live, since it had played that afternoon, but the results had not leaked out. Cannot imagine that happening now. The championship against Finland was actually on Sunday morning (we almost late for my sister's confirmation - a lot of people walking in last minute). -
Twins/Tigers Players Vote to Postpone Tonight's Game
D. Hocking replied to Seth Stohs's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Not quite the same thing, but my company did tell people to take Juneteenth off even though it was not a regular day off for us. They wanted people to take the day off and volunteer or reflect at what was happening and the on-going issues that had created the situation or simply use as a mental health day to deal with all the stress that was happening at the time. I am sure some of it was a calculated PR move, but there have been what I take are sincere efforts to spot light things that go under the radar for a lot of us and highlight things that people of color have to thing about that would not even occur to me. They had a number of employees candidly speak on what it is like to be the only person of color on a team or on a project or even in some offices, as well as warnings they have to give their kids if they ever get pulled over or how they can spot a clerk watching them when they are in a nice store etc. Obviously, this is not going to solve all of the problems, but it is generating some additional discussion, and maybe some of the athlete's statements will make this seem more like a real issue to people who do not experience it. I do realize I am lucky in that I could just take a day off, not everyone is in a situation where they can do that or has a job where that is feasible. -
Twins in the 2000s: The 2018 Season
D. Hocking replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I remember thinking that things were going to go from bad to disaster when they got rid of Dozier and others basically calling it a season, and then being pleasantly surprised when the actually seemed to get better and finished the last third of the season by playing respectfully. I thought the wheels would come completely off of the bus, but the remaining players kept on playing as if they had a chance. Mauer's "unofficial" retirement really did pack an emotional punch that a lot formal retirement celebrations have (esp. when they are drawn out for a full season) and doing it that way was very Mauer (even though he says otherwise, I suspect he knew that was his last game and was that he would retire in the off-season). Although he did basically get the official celebration when they retired his number the next year. -
Article: Miguel Sano To Miss Opening Day
D. Hocking replied to Parker Hageman's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Sadly, there does not appear to be a Rod Stewart cover of "What a Feeling!"- 112 replies
-
- miguel sano
- injury
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: TwinsFest 2019 Joe Mauer White Glove Tour
D. Hocking replied to TCAnelle's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I thought the same thing about the WCCO interview. I have noticed a couple of times in the past when he had been interviewed by some national sportswriter that he gave more interesting answers largely because they did ask him some different questions. He did not just shoot of a canned response which he could often do with the local interviews because they often asked him the same thing over and over. I remember someone (I think it might have even been Souhan) saying that when Joe does not have to answer questions about himself and how he is feeling he actually has some interesting things to say about the game. He might end up being a much better interview as a relaxed retiree than an active player who probably often felt he had to be politely defensive and guarded in his responses. -
Twinsfest 2019 Joe Mauer White Glove Tour
D. Hocking commented on TCAnelle's blog entry in TCAnelle's Blog
Thanks for sharing - sounds like a good experience or in Mauer speak "neat". I remember someone saying (I believe it might have even been Souhan) when Mauer does not have feel like he has to ask the standard interview questions about himself (how are you feeling etc.) and is just talking he actually is a bit more chatty and has some interesting baseball insights. I thought that was even a little evident in the Twinsfest 'CCO radion interview where he was pretty relaxed. Now that he no longer is in that player mode where felt the need to be more guarded in his answers he might have some interesting stories that he tells in future interviews. -
I am guessing there are a number of people in Chicago who were wishing they had decided to skip the game and went to the movie theater.
-
I actually thought it was kind of nice and kind of appropriate for Mauer that they surprised him with it at his old Cretin stomping grounds and almost a casual affair. No doubt they have a big formal Mauer day at Target Field next summer, but will be hard (or impossible) to beat the unofficial Mauer day the last day of the 2018 season. The people behind that deserve some kudos. From the clip I saw, he kept his speech pretty much geared for the kids in the audience and told them to enjoy and appreciate what they were doing, because it goes by quickly. Oh, and he thanked people.
- 58 replies
-
- byron buxton
- miguel sano
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Was listening to 1500 this afternoon - they had a bunch of Mauer discussion (funny how his retirement came the same week as the Jimmy Butler trade -- could not have a bigger difference in exits or personality of the players). One of the interviews was with Glen Perkins and that is what amazed him - he said he did not change at all. He said people ask him what is he really like - and said exactly what you see. One of the interviewees - I think Roy Smalley - was asked if Joe should have been more vocal - maybe yelled more, and he said no, because it would not have been true to who he was. It never works when someone is faking something like that.
- 11 replies
-
- joe mauer
- denard span
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Thanks. I will never get tired of seeing the high school picture of Glen and Joe.
- 11 replies
-
- joe mauer
- denard span
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Article: Mauer's Farewell Letter To Fans
D. Hocking replied to Seth Stohs's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
That moment of them running out to first base for his last game was pretty neat (if one uses Mauer speak). They will always be able to look back and see how they were an important part of his big day. Whoever planned all of the unofficial Joe Mauer activities for his last game deserves a bonus. -
I was browsing some of the comments, one thing I noticed from former teammates, people how have covered him, and some of his opponents, is that first they would say he was a great player and then follow-up with he was just as good of a person. I noticed the same thing when he played his last game. The comments all seemed genuine, not the obligatory canned response. https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/twitter-reaction-major-leaguers-honour-retiring-twins-veteran/
-
I am fairly confident I could have scored a touchdown against the Gopher defense yesterday.
-
I do think it was largely PR, but he also seemed genuine in his respect for Mauer. It seemed like he put some thought into it rather than just spewing some generic cliche, and the story about the bullpen catcher was a nice personal touch. It was also nice to hear him say how respected Mauer was in the league. I did notice he was a bit general in saying there would be place in the Twins organization and not saying as his first baseman, but I suppose the discussion of whether Mauer should or will return should be (and has been) covered in (an)other thread(s).
-
I am completely speculating here, but when he spoke about it, he genuinely seemed to think it was a strong issue rather than him just giving the answer he felt he should give (he is a good speaker). I am guessing it is a goal of his. Also, he might not be fluent, but he did seem to have some understanding of the language greater than cerveza por favor.

