Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Danchat

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    10,314
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    7

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Danchat

  1. Nice article. Yeah, the Twins could really use Gordon... the only downside appears to be his glove. Having Adrianza in the lineup almost every day has hurt this team, and Gordon could be the spark-plug this offense needs, but the closer Polanco gets to returning, the less likely I see Gordon coming up as a starter. I'm not sure if Gordon really needs much time to develop at AAA before he's ready to go in the big leagues. Claiming Taylor Motter made some sense as they've stashed him at AAA with an open 40 man roster spot, probably to see if they can fix his bat. If they could improve his hitting, he'd be a solid bench player and a definite upgrade from somebody like Gregorio Petit. However, if the Twins need to make a move, they could probably DFA him and sneak him through waivers. And don't get me started about the Pressly/Reed overuse situation. Meanwhile Busenitz is crushing AAA for the second straight year (0.47 ERA in 19 IP!!) and not to mention that Moya and Curtiss are dealing and ready for another shot.
  2. My thoughts: It's probably too early, but Berrios would be my #1 extension candidate. I would like to see the Twins lock in his arb. years and try to buy out a year of free agency. After that, I'm tempted to say Rosario or Escobar, but I think I'd wait on Rosario. As for Escobar, I would offer him a 3 year $30-36M deal once the season ends, and if he doesn't find anything better in FA, he can come back and take the deal. I wouldn't extend him the qualifying offer because I think there's a high chance he accepts it. He's made around $12M in his whole career, so I think he'd take approx. $18M to play just one season and hit FA at age 31. But who knows, maybe other teams out there are ready to offer him more, and he could decline it. I want to say Kepler, but he's in the middle of his second average season in a row and I've been waiting awhile for him to explode at the plate, but it hasn't happened. It's probably too soon to extend him. Over the offseason I would have said Buxton was my #1 priority, but um, well, y'know. Regarding Dozier, I know the current forum consensus seems to be that he's having a disappointing season, but I'd still offer him a deal around 3 years $36-40M. However, I think he's going to take the biggest deal offered to him, so I think he declines the qualifying offer (that they should offer him) and he signs a bigger deal elsewhere.
  3. Probably because of his 2.42 ERA at AA last season in a substantially bigger sample size. Oh, and at AAA he's had a 2.57 ERA with 1.07 WHIP and 9.6 K/9 in a slightly bigger sample size than his 2017 AA one. The 23 IP at AA this season is basically the only negative you're going to find on his stat sheet in the past 3 years. Though I do think it's fair to say he's not ready for the majors quite yet and I think he could use the rest of the season at AAA.
  4. Huh, that sounds good for a 10th rounder, hopefully they can sign him. For what little I know about the process, it seems to me that the Twins have been able to sign most of the guys they draft (that matter, of course).
  5. You do realize catchers have a massive impact on MLB games compared to kickers, right?
  6. Wow, I didn't even realize Hjelle was getting drafted. I went to school with him for a year or two back in high school. Now I have two Mahtomedi kids to pull for (Baumann with the Orioles) in the minors. Great stuff!
  7. Palka has been pretty good in his first month or so of his MLB for the White Sox... Plus even if the pick isn't BPA, they can spend more money on the next draft pick. That worked out really well last year.
  8. Just reading the profiles, he looks a bit similar to Brent Rooker. He's a college corner OF who could end up at 1B who's got some power in his bat. I mean, I would have preferred a pitcher, but it really doesn't matter that much. Hopefully we'll have another great bat developing in the minors, and with Lewis, Gordon, Kiriloff, and Rooker as other 1st round hitters, they should not lack top-end hitting talent for the foreseeable future.
  9. Something that went a bit unnoticed today was that LaMarre went 3 for 4 with 2 doubles, and the one out should have been another double but Zimmer made a Buxton-esque play on the ball. If he can keep hitting the ball like he has the past couple days, we'll have ourselves a nice backup CF who isn't a total black hole in the lineup.
  10. Cool, I didn't think we'd get to see Littell quite yet. He's still young and he'll likely need more time at AAA, but it'll be great to see him pitch for the first time. I think he can be a solid #4 starter in the majors if things go right. It also reminds me how good of a deal the Jaime Garcia flip was - getting Littell and Enns for Ynoa was a fantastic flip. By the way, Huascar Ynoa is struggling at single A for the Braves right now (5.62 ERA, 1.51 WHIP).
  11. Lynn clearly has the stuff to be a good starter, as he only gave up 2 hits in 6 innings, but he just has to figure out his command. If he continues to straighten things out, I think he can be a solid middle of the road starter for us. Also, it's odd how the Twins struck out 15 times but still scored 7 runs. And Sano wasn't even in the lineup.
  12. I mean, it's possible, but I think it's fair to say that Polanco could be in a slump as well, plus his defense can range from average to mediocre, so it's not guaranteed that his suspension has hurt the team has much as some think it has.
  13. Granite is hitting .206 with zero power and next-to-zero XBH ability at AAA. I see him more as a DFA candidate than an option in the majors. Wade needs to be called up ASAP. He has nothing left to accomplish at AA and should at least be at AAA right now.
  14. I'm not a fan of Duffey coming up, but Busenitz did just throw 2 innings at AAA. Duffey will probably get some work today seeing how the score's going. I'm about ready to give up on Tyler, as he hasn't shown any promise since his stretch as a starter in 2015, but I don't have any objections if they're going to use him as a mop-up pitcher.
  15. Boyer and his glorious 11.44 ERA... how in the world are they still trotting him out there?! That's not a small sample size either!
  16. Do they even give out errors anymore? Because that play was a 100% error.
  17. There isn't a clear spot for him on the major league roster at the moment, but I think he'll be OK. One bad AAA outing isn't going to doom him. But at the moment they have Gonsalves, Slegers, and Littell starting at AAA and on the 40 man roster, so it's not like they need another starter. I'm not sure what they'll do with him.
  18. Another great start wasted by the non-existent offense. We need to get Adrianza and Wilson out of the lineup and figure out Buxton. Dozier needs to get on a hot streak or he's going to be flipped in July for a low-upside prospect. But I have to respect Rosario for continuing his slugging. Unlike many here and elsewhere thought, he's stood up to his 2017 season and continued to produce.
  19. So the trade is basically Hughes and the 74th pick in the 2018 draft for C Villalobos and $7.5M in 2019. I don't hate the trade but I don't like it... Villalobos seems like a lottery ticket, but it could work out well if the money in 2019 is spent well. The draft is a crapshoot so losing the 74th pick isn't so bad (as an NFL draft junkie, I would not like this trade, but this is the MLB Draft).
  20. Great to see Rooker playing so much better in May. He still has a lot of hitting to do to make his stat line look presentable but he's definitely improving. Busenitz seems to be ready for the majors, but there isn't a spot for him. Magill has held down the 7th reliever spot surprisingly well, and since the bullpen has been very durable thus far, he'll just have to wait. Hopefully he'll find his way up in due time.
  21. That's the worst part of this - the starting pitching has been one of the strengths of this team, but now the offense has become unable to muster any support to this good pitching. Hopefully Sano and Buxton will figure things out and when Polanco/Mauer/better backup catch arrive, the offense won't be so bad... hopefully.
  22. Interesting how Kepler's the only one who can hit this lefty. How things have changed...
  23. I agree, but I think what makes Berrios so good is his durability. That's something Romero hasn't had in his minor league career. For this season, I also think Berrios is a better bet to go deep into games.
  24. Worst case scenario, we have a really good closer in Romero! And they could seamlessly switch Fernando R. with the other Fernando R...
  25. Yeah, I thought Gonsalves would be up before Romero, but clearly after Romero was incredibly good in Spring Training and continued that performance at AAA, they knew he was next up. It's also pretty crazy that we have Gonsalves, Littell, and Slegers waiting in the wings. That's some solid depth in the rotation that we haven't had since... well, a time before I followed the Twins.
×
×
  • Create New...