Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Oldgoat_MN

Verified Member
  • Posts

    2,437
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Oldgoat_MN

  1. Very nice analysis Parker. Thank you. I am not anxious to give up on Dozier. Here's hoping for a breakout year for Brian.
  2. As I read the article this is pretty much what my post was going to say. Arcia has hit at every level better than Hicks. This is not a dis on Hicks. His play in CF has been excellent and that is primarily what they were looking for, albeit with a little more offense than they've seen. Arcia is going to light things up. By July, 2014 ARCIA jerseys will be common at Target Field.
  3. Clemente is another who was, by all accounts, a fine man. A fellow who dealt with similar grief and bigotry as Jackie Robinson was Hank Greenberg. He was the first big name Jewish player and people were vicious to him. He also publicly welcomed Jackie Robinson when Jackie started with the Dodgers. Greenberg's last year in MLB was Robinson's first. I appreciate the reverence to Robinson, but where does it stop? Please get that this is in no way a dis to Clemente, nor any other individual who has endured unfair and inappropriate treatment.
  4. Colabello is certainly an interesting guy. Makes you kind of wonder why no team ever looked at him before, as his CAMA numbers were excellent for years. In a book whose title I cannot remember, Bill James talked about Brian Harper being that sort of player. He always had the skills. Too bad he didn't really get a chance until much of his career was behind him. On the other hand, I cannot see benching Justin so that Chris can play. A bench role might be appropriate. It will be interesting to see how they handle him. What would you do to get him on the 40 man roster?
  5. IMHO: As long as he's not hitting .500 you can send him back down. This is just to give Arcia an introduction to MLB and the fans a taste of what's to come. The marketing on this team has been really stupid, pretending they are going to field a competitive team this year. The marketing approach should be trying to get fans to 'pick a kid to watch'. Is your guy Plouffe? Parmelee? Dozier? Hicks? Floriman? Escobar? Worley? And, of course, Mauer, Willingham, Morneau will be there, too! Something like that. Bring Arcia up. It may not be this trip, but this kid is going to make a difference.
  6. That game was a must-miss. It was tough enough watching in a bar.
  7. And the world trembles......
  8. Hope is good. I invite everyone to hope. History, however, suggests otherwise. As long as Terry Ryan is GM the Twins will not spend big on a FA. That doesn't mean that the scenario you laid out couldn't produce a team that will win a lot of games and be fun to watch. I agree with your implication, though, that if they do not fill the holes with actual value players they are unlikely to be a World Series team.
  9. Buxton is going in the tank. 1 for 4, so his average is down to .500. Hope he can find his swing.
  10. Most of this could have gone into the 'Fun With Numbers' thread, but I like it broken out this way. Fun stuff, well presented. And wierd.
  11. And Mike Trout is playing somewhere on the west coast. Wait, that was just a dream I had.
  12. Sadly, no. That doesn't mean that they can't be more fun to watch than they were last year. Hicks, Parmelee, Plouffe, Dozier, etc., who is going to step up? With lowered expectations for 2013 we can look to the future and just enjoy the games. It's not like we're watching the Cubs.
  13. Thank you for this community service, Brad. And God help you. God help us all.
  14. This is great, guys. Really fun to read. Suggestion? A link to the box score for each game would be nice if it is readily available. Thanks!
  15. I appreciate a well thought, well articulated article like this. Thank you Nick.
  16. These types of records are more fun than they should be. Thank you. (Oh, and you have amazing byline skills.)
  17. Wow. Thanks. A Twins executive meeting, and I feel like I was there!
  18. Um, I like our bench more this year. If I didn't believe this was a rebuilding year I would be terribly disappointed. Should be interesting to see to what extent Hicks, Plouffe, Parmelee and Dozier can secure a position going forward. Also we will probably see Worley, De Vries, Gibson, Hendriks, Deduno and others given enough time to see who might seriously contribute next year. That's how I am looking at the season. For me, any other approach would just be depressing.
  19. Thank you Peanuts. These articles will give me a whole new way to look at our Twins this year. That could prove very helpful at times.
  20. Just to be difficult, I will select Oswaldo Arcia as Rod Carew Rookie of the Year . That, and I hope Hicks has a great season, too. P.S. - Your youth is showing. Really should be Tony Oliva Rookie of the Year (first ROY for the Minnesota Twins)
  21. Why couldn't you leave it alone, Brock? Now you've bumped it up and now I'm reading it, certain that I'm finally about to get to the end of the Internet. But no.... Oh, Brock. Damn.
  22. Oldgoat_MN

    The DH

    I've been a fan of using the DH position to let these guys get a rest and still keep their bats in the game. As a former catcher, I can certainly see how a day at DH would occur to Mauer as a day of rest. The 'DH Penalty' above is certainly interesting. Mauer @ .328 last year without the DH at bats? Interesting, indeed. Damn it! Now I have to think.
  23. Well that would be fun. Now all they have to do is read this and get on board! Thanks thry
  24. Travel safe, grumpyrob. Depending how long you will be in Texas, the Twins play at the Rangers August 30 - September 1. Hope you can make that. Keep us posted. And thank you for your service.
  25. So very true. Well said.
×
×
  • Create New...