• Create Account

Game Thread: Angels @ Twins 7:10 PM 7/23/2021

The Twins host the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim tonight in game two of a four-game set. Los Angeles won the first game of the series 3-2 and have won three of the four games played between the teams this year. Scheduled pitchers for tonight's game are JA Happ for the Twins versus Alex Cobb for the Angels. It could be Happ's last start as a Twin, if the Twins can find someone to take him. 

The news off the field is that the Twins have traded Nelson Cruz to the Rays for two AAA starting pitchers. Trading a 41 year-old DH for two pitchers who could help the club as soon as next year is the right move IMHO. The trick is whether Falvey and Levine identified guys who will perform up to or beyond their expected value. Cruz was a great signing and an unmitigated positive influence in the clubhouse for the Twins. I'm glad he'll get another chance to win a championship ring, but it was time for him to go.

I have gotten past anger for the 2021 Twins season and am coming toward acceptance. The team isn't very good and the pitching staff is full of holes. What is a manager to do? Baldelli stayed with his starter in the second game of the doubleheader on Friday and Berrios yielded a game-winning homer. The bullpen turned a one-run lead into a four-run deficit the next day. All of the veterans on expiring contracts should be ready to pack their bags. Sadly, the Twins are unlikely to finish any higher than fourth in a weak division and until their pitching is righted, there can't be much optimism. That is why I am onboard with the Cruz trade despite his still formidable offensive skills. Getting major league (ready) pitchers on the club is the highest priority.

The club will probably trade another player or two in the next week. Michael Pineda, Happ, Simmons and Robles all make sense as their contracts are up and they are veterans. There also are several players who could return--Cave, Refsnyder, Farrell, Law and eventually Byron Buxton. It seems the Twins are in no hurry to bring back either Refsnyder or Cave. There should be room on the roster to get a look at a few current minor leaguers as well. 

If you have nothing better to do, sit back and enjoy a warm summer evening watching Twins baseball. As a fan, I always have interest, but it is a lot easier to find other things to do. Enjoy!

I have followed the Twins since Calvin brought the team here from Washington. I've always loved baseball, but I loved it more when the game was more brisk and more balls were put in play. 

If Sano wants to help the team offensively, his best strategy tonight is curse the ump and get tossed.  Whoever replaces him, has to be a major upgrade.  This is beyond ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Aggies7 said:

How do you miss on every offseason signing? When Robles is the big “get”, you know it’s been bad.

It was borderline unfathomable that all our pitchers regressed when they were all likely cheating [to some degree] and hitting was repressed. I wonder what the heck is going through Wes' mind after this unmitigated disaster.

I went back rewatched the sequence of pitches to Sano. Baldelli is the one who should be backing up Sano. Strike one was a ball outside. So was strike 3. Strike two was on the black at the top of the zone. The count should have been 2-1. As it was his only hope was swing at that third pitch a ball outside and hope to foul it off and get another pitch. Of course if he misses it we are on him for swinging at a pitch outside the zone. Sano had no chance and I sure hope his manager had a little fire at the umpire.

Rooker got a similar pitch on the outside a little higher that hit the black. Should have been a strike but somehow a ball. 

3 minutes ago, Danchat said:

It was borderline unfathomable that all our pitchers regressed when they were all likely cheating [to some degree] and hitting was repressed. I wonder what the heck is going through Wes' mind after this unmitigated disaster.

Shoemaker- brutal

happ- brutal

colome- brutal

Robles- so so

simmons- underwhelming 

horrendous offseason 

Featured Video