1985Fan
Verified Member-
Posts
447 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
News
Minnesota Twins Videos
2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking
2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits
Guides & Resources
2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
The Minnesota Twins Players Project
2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker
2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses
Forums
Blogs
Events
Store
Downloads
Gallery
Everything posted by 1985Fan
-
I’m not angry at TP or the family for past mistakes. I don’t blame them for past trades made/not made, FA signings, and FA missed. Those specific decisions are the POBO/GM. It would be great if the payroll was Dodger level or near that, but that is not required to field a winning team. Twins had the highest payroll in the ALC for several seasons under Falvey and were not competitive vs. Cleveland or Detroit. That’s on Falvey. The draft and player development under Falvey is what created the current roster, good and bad. TP made the right decision in letting him go. I’m willing to give him and Zoll some time to prove that they can turn the team into a contender. I doubt they’ll go from 70 wins to championship in one deadline or one offseason. You can’t turn the titanic on a dime. I understand the frustration of several seasons of watching this team collapse down the stretch. I’m frustrated as well. They improved to 77 wins this year. Yes, that’s an improvement. They have the young kids here with more near ready to step up. I’m optimistic for the future and the outlook this year is much better than last year. If you’re still angry at TP for making the decision to go for it this year and make trades at the deadline, I understand that position. Fans can criticize Zoll for specific moves and be frustrated with Pohlads, but I don’t understand how fans can be angry when he says he’s going to increase payroll. If he doesn’t and it’s just hollow talk, then be angry. I’ll wait to see what happens this offseason before judging TP or Zoll.
-
It was an interesting year of baseball. Too few highlights and too many lowlights. But enough positive happenings to make for an optimistic outlook for next season. Top prospects are here, the SP looks strong (if most are healthy next spring), defense is improved from beginning of season, they found a couple of arms for the BP, and Lee and Keaschall had decent years to give them something to build on. They should stick with the youth movement next year by giving some more MiLB guys an audition. They improved their record a few wins and seemed poised to make further progress next year. Looking forward to next spring and an interesting offseason.
- 48 replies
-
- dean kremer
- josh bell
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
2027 is too early to start filling holes on the roster. Instead, they need to spend next year letting the young guys develop, evaluating the pitchers they do have, and getting more prospects up to the big leagues. Let the young guys play a full season to determine what their strengths and weaknesses are. There are plenty of other young guys that are at AAA that could make debuts next year. Mendez, GG, Olivar, Raya, and even Gallagher could be promoted to see what they have to offer. There are several guys at AA that should be AAA next season, could be ready to step up as well. They started the youth movement this year, let’s keep it going. Once they know who is part of their core, then start making additions and subtractions to roster, possibly as early as the 2027 trade deadline.
- 54 replies
-
- ryan jeffers
- royce lewis
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
What’s the worry here? If Buxton isn’t ready at the start of the season, you’ve got Jenkins or Rodriguez to play CF until he’s proven ready to go. Twins weren’t supposed to be contenders next year anyway, right? Next year is waiting for Houston and Lackey to be promoted and have the dream team getting ready for championship in 2028 and beyond. Fans get to see all the prized prospects play everyday. When Buck comes back, they can assess what the plan is for him that is best for the team and the player.
-
Twins Daily's 2026 Minor League Pitcher of the Year
1985Fan replied to Sam Caulder's topic in Twins Minor League Talk
The minor league pitching cupboard being bare is probably why the 2026 Twins draft class was heavy on pitchers and light on position players. Twelve of the twenty draft picks were pitchers. I suspect we’ll see many of the pitchers drafted in 2026 move up the MiLB levels next year. Already four pitchers from 2026 draft picks in the Twins top 30 prospect list.- 30 replies
-
- merit jones
- riley quick
- (and 5 more)
-
I read a lot of pessimism about the future of the organization. I understand that opinion after the end of a frustrating season. Another collapse down the stretch, poor defense, offensive slumps, bullpen collapses, and some poor starting pitching outings makes the future look bleak. I look at the roster now compared to the beginning of the year, and I see optimism for next year and beyond. The three top prospects are here and should be starters from day one next year. Buxton should be healthy at the start of the year and be able to resume his production. If he isn’t healthy or productive, there are guys on the roster now that can assume CF role and play good defense. I would like to see Jeffers signed to three year deal to fill the hole at catcher until prospects are ready to step in. The rotation has good arms that have shown flashes of excellence. The BP is not completely barren, compared to the start of the season. I think Banda is back next year to join Hoffman, Gomez, and Morris. Funderburk could also step into a low leverage reliever. Houston, Winokour, and maybe Quick could be at AAA to start the year and be ready for 2028, if all goes well. I don’t see a need for a complete rebuild. The reshaping of the roster has already begun, no need to go scorched earth now. The three top prospects clock is now ticking, if they start a rebuild now, it may stretch into 3-4 years of development time. Instead, I see a nice blend of young guys with a few veterans to help them along the way. They’re not ready to compete for WS title next year, but if all goes well, maybe postseason isn’t out of reach next year, and they’re hitting their stride in 2028.
- 138 replies
-
- byron buxton
- joe ryan
- (and 5 more)
-
Lewis’s struggles with the low and away pitches is the hole in his swing. Thats been true for a lot of MLB hitters, including guys like Tori Hunter, who I watched flail away at low and away sliders his entire Twins career. To be fair, last night’s Angels pitcher was nasty with the changeup that no one was hitting. He made all the Twins hitters look foolish. Lewis looks like he’s trying to pull everything which makes him vulnerable to low and away pitches. Twins aren’t alone and are like many teams that have adopted the Driveline philosophy of teaching every hitter to pull and lift for power. The problem with that approach is it should be paired with a situational awareness that adjusts for two strikes, or going with the pitch if that’s where they’re pitching you, or just needing to put the ball in play. I personally think the issue with Lewis and other twins hitters is a hitting coach not solely focused on analytics. Twins need a hitting coach that understands the mental side of hitting, not just the mechanical part. I think they need a lead/head hitting coach that has a MLB track record that players like Lewis respect and will listen to. Someone that has been through the battle and understands the approach needed for different situations and how to adjust to what pitchers are doing to hitters. Pairing a Don Mattingly type coach with an analytical coach might be the way to unlock Lewis and many more Twins.
- 57 replies
-
- game recap
- walker jenkins
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
What's the Twins’ Long-Term Answer at First Base?
1985Fan replied to Sam Caulder's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Give Sabato a chance. What have they got to lose? If he doesn’t cut it, then move on. First base has been a hole since forever. They’ve been plugging the hole with one year deals with limited success. They might get lucky with Sabato. -
Is there someone on the roster or knocking on the door in the minors that is blocked by Lewis? I’d vote for Sabato getting a chance, but apparently Twins don’t have any confidence in his game. I’m done watching Caratini at 1B. I don’t think Twins are going to go out and sign a FA 1B next year, so I don’t have a problem giving AB’s to Lewis. He’s very good defensively, which should be the focus for this team.
- 71 replies
-
- luke keaschall
- brooks lee
-
(and 4 more)
Tagged with:
-
Definitely give Martin the rest of the year off. He’s not big league hitter. I don’t think he plays the outfield well either. Larnach is hurt, wrist sprain it sounded like. They should put him on the IL. I say play Lewis everyday. Need to know if he is part of the plan or not.
- 71 replies
-
- luke keaschall
- brooks lee
-
(and 4 more)
Tagged with:
-
Great game by Matthews. Kreidler giveth and he taketh away. Can’t defend getting picked off 2nd base! Too many missed opportunities during the regulation nine innings. Jeffers looking at strike three with two runners in scoring position in the seventh. I can forgive ERod striking out looking with runners on, but Jeffers is a veteran. They had lots of chances to add on runs during regulation and couldn’t do it. Should have had a three or four run lead going into the ninth instead of just two.
- 71 replies
-
- luke keaschall
- brooks lee
-
(and 4 more)
Tagged with:
-
How Poor Is the Twins’ Core?
1985Fan replied to Cody Christie's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
No question a complete rebuild is necessary after yet another season ending collapse. Watching the Twins get hammered by contenders down the stretch should be eye opening for everyone, FO, owner, manager, and fans. It’s obvious now that they don’t have the talent to compete with the top teams. This off season will be interesting. Do they trade and amass more prospects or do they trade for young ML talent by trading prospects. I don’t think they spend their way out of the hole with FA. The FO needs to look at how other teams have rebuilt, specifically where they located talent. A lot of different ways to add talent, not entirely from the draft or ML blockbuster trades. Twins HAVE TO fix their player development system. It’s broke and it is a large part of this team’s failure. IMO they need to focus on defense and pitching first, and stress basic fundamentals. It’s shocking that current players can’t play defense, run the bases well, bunt, no situational hitting, etc….- 69 replies
-
- byron buxton
- walker jenkins
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
The Derek Falvey disaster roster that he left behind is full of players he drafted and bet on. You can’t ignore the reality that the Twins lineup today is basically all Falvey high draft picks that have either failed, or haven’t developed as expected. Larnach, Lewis, and Wallner were key parts of the plan he had for 2026 and have failed spectacularly. Thats three Falvey first round draft picks that doomed this season and set the franchise back. They can’t be traded for anything meaningful and it will take a while to recover. A modest increase in payroll wouldn’t have made up for the big misses in this lineup and I wouldn’t expect the Twins to start spending at the level of the Dodgers or Mets (how did that turn out?). It’s going to take a while to clean up his mess.
- 58 replies
-
- game recap
- taj bradley
- (and 4 more)
-
Referring to TD article about Falvey departure Quoting Falvey and TP from the post: “Ownership transitions naturally create moments for reflection and honest dialogue about leadership, vision, and how an organization wants to move forward," wrote Derek Falvey in the team's press release. "Over the past several weeks we had those conversations openly and constructively and ultimately reached a shared understanding that this was the right step both for the organization and for me personally." Those changes were also recognized by Tom Pohlad. "Over the past several weeks, Derek and I had thoughtful and candid conversations about leadership, structure, and the future of the club," Pohlad wrote in the team's press release. "We reached a shared understanding that the needs of the organization are evolving and that a leadership transition is the best way to move forward." No mention of leaving due to TP assuming Business OPs management, rather the reason given is leadership change, period. Also, researched the press releases, and Zoll was appointed GM in late 2024. Previously was minor league operations director until 2020, assistant GM until made GM in November 2024. Assistant GM is not a major decision maker. I’ll quit with this thread as I’m not a Zoll defender nor a critic, I’m just open minded to see how he handles GM duties during a full offseason. I obviously could be wrong and he’s a terrible GM.
-
Zoll was given GM job in name only. Falvey pushed out Levine to give himself complete authority on baseball decisions, why would he listen to Zoll or anyone else? He also pushed out St. Peter. Falvey was a control freak that thought he was smarter than everyone else. No, Falvey was fired , and rightfully so. Tom P saw that his brother was under Falvey’s spell, unable to make independent decisions. Im not making the decision about Zoll or Shelton. If Zoll is Falvey 2.0, he should be fired. I don’t think that’s the case because after firing Falvey, I don’t see TP keeping a Falvey clone around either. We can agree to disagree. We’ll find out this offseason if Zoll gets the boot or sticks around. If Zoll stays, I believe Shelton stays.
-
Since we’re not inside the FO and are offering our opinions from the outside looking in on decisions made, I dispute the claim that “he has been a major decision maker for the last 5 years”. From observing Falvey from afar, I saw him as a micromanager that would not allow others to operate freely, especially after Levine left and promoted to POBO. I don’t think Zoll had major influence on Falvey’s decisions. The roster is full of Falvey’s number one draft picks. I don’t think Zoll had major input on the draft either, I think those decisions were between Falvey and Johnson. Obviously my opinion as I’m not inside the FO. It was a major decision to part ways with Falvey, TP needs to be given credit for that. He’s also new to the FO and will be able to assess Zoll after seeing him operate for one season. If TP feels Zoll is a Falvey clone, I’m sure he’ll be gone in short order. If TP didn’t like Falvey, he probably wouldn’t keep his clone around either.
-
After one season, it’s way too early to make organizational changes. I think Shelton is doing a great job with the players he has. After last offseason of major organization change, the new management did a good job. It’s going to take time to turn the ship around. Too early to judge Zoll and Shelton. Zoll was handed Falvey’s roster in February. No way should we expect a complete roster overhaul in one year. This team was setup by Falvey based on Buxton, Lewis, and Wallner being the main pieces. I think Zoll and Shelton made the right in season moves with Lewis and Wallner. Can’t blame anyone for Buxton injury in the second half. The jury is still out on Lewis after the midseason reset. Zoll started turning over the roster with Culpepper and Jenkins. Now we’ll see how he handles the offseason with Jeffers, Ryan, Bell and others. If he’s given the chance, which he should be.
-
Tigers 7, Twins 2: This One Was Ugly From the Start
1985Fan replied to Sam Caulder's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Defense and pitching…. Eight walks today in a must win game and series. Offense wasn’t good either. Keaschall, Lee, Culpepper, Lewis, and Jenkins were 0 for 16 with 5 K’s.- 94 replies
-
- game recap
- zebby mattews
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
The Twins Are Giving Their All, But It's Not Enough
1985Fan replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I agree with this. The players effort has been there all year and they haven’t quit. Let’s see how they respond today after last night’s lopsided loss. I’ve been impressed by the never say die attitude. Thats all you can ask for as a fan and it makes you want to root for the team. -
He may have given the offense a small spark on call up, but it certainly wasn’t a jolt. They’re not winning a lot of games with both rookies in the lineup. I’m not blaming either player, but I wasn’t expecting great things either, which seemed to be the expectation of people here. Thats my point. If the team is going to rely on prospects to come up and push the team into the playoffs, that’s not realistic.
- 55 replies
-
- game recap
- josh bell
- (and 5 more)
-
We should pass judgement on the idea that calling up prospects during a playoff chase to give the “team a jolt to the offense” as I read here so many times. It’s unfair to Jenkins and others. And it doesn’t work. Prospects need time to figure out MLB pitching, if they ever do figure it out. No guarantees they turn into All Stars or ROY either.
- 55 replies
-
- game recap
- josh bell
- (and 5 more)
-
Yeah, we should tamp down the hype on Lackey. I’m sure he’s talented, but give him a little time. It sounds like he has the throwing and blocking down pat, but catching is such a demanding position that not rushing him to MLB would be the prudent thing to do. I would like to see the Twins work with Jeffers on a short term contract. With the lockout imminent, maybe he’d be willing to accept a one year deal close to the QO to get him back on the FA market when the dust settles on the CBA. Twins shouldn’t plan on Caratini being the primary catcher next year. I don’t mind Jackson as a defense first catcher as he’s an improvement defensively over Jeffers, but they’re going to miss Jeffers offense next year.
-
To clarify my previous post, I should have said that Falvey’s player drafting and development philosophy has so far been the real failure. He drafted bat first, no defense players that did not develop the defense side of their game. Then they were promoted through the system based on offense only. The Twins are a poor defensive team today as a result. They also don’t run the bases well either. Player development failed at teaching a lot of the fundamentals. Thats on Falvey. Give Falvey credit for the current pitching pipeline. The current youngsters may salvage his reputation if they turn out to be the successful core of future teams. We’ll have to wait and see.
- 164 replies
-
- derek shelton
- jeremy zoll
- (and 5 more)

