bird
Verified Member-
Posts
1,413 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
News
Minnesota Twins Videos
2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking
2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits
Guides & Resources
2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
The Minnesota Twins Players Project
2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker
2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses
Forums
Blogs
Events
Store
Downloads
Gallery
Everything posted by bird
-
Fun facts: 49 different catchers who had a MLB plate appearance in 2019 were selected in the Rule 4 draft in a lower round than 9th round pick Garver. 49 different catchers, 35 of them selected in the first 3 rounds. Mitch Garver was the 19th catcher selected in the 2013 draft.
- 16 replies
-
- mitch garver
- ray birmingham
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Of the 49 prospects described as first round selections in the 2009 draft, only 7 of them have generated more WAR than Kyle Gibson. Gibson deserves credit for being dedicated to his craft. He has faced and overcome some real challenges as Nick has nicely pointed out. It's possible that he's reached a point where this disease, which has no known cure, will keep him from fully regaining his capabilities as a pitcher. But if the medical professionals and Gibson both are convinced he can come back, I can easily imagine him signing a prove-it one year deal with the Twins. I have to confess, however, that aesthetically he somehow leaves me kind of flatlined even when he's going well. Could be the slow pace I suppose. Like everyone else, I'd love to see him rise up to this latest challenge.
-
Front Page: The Future Value of Luis Arraez
bird replied to Cody Christie's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Nice observation. I'd say every GM in baseball would trade Arraez for a vast majority of the rookies ranked ahead of him. It's a bumper crop. -
Front Page: The Future Value of Luis Arraez
bird replied to Cody Christie's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Great post. While I share the skepticism of a few others about how sustainable his production will be, I know that if I'm the GM, I place a 20% premium above what the metrics say his value to the team is. Why? One, because I'm convinced he demoralizes the heck out of the other team, especially the pitchers, with his perfectly placed soft liners and instincts for making the right plays. I believe he makes intangible W-L contributions beyond what his incredible numbers show. Two, because I can see that he's an absolute joy for the fans. They love him. And three, is teammates seem to love him too, as do his coaches. I want him in my clubhouse. -
I doubt you'll find many of us who strongly disagree with this assessment, but if you don't mind waiting until after the regular season is over before peeing in the punchbowl, that would be great. It's such a fun party!
- 67 replies
-
- twins vs white sox
- minnesota twins
- (and 3 more)
-
Yeah, instead of lamenting the use of Harper, we might want to consider how lucky we are that they've introduced us to 7-8 relievers since his demotion that are better options than he is. I find it interesting that we disparage all these pitchers, and remarkably they end up being good enough for some other team: Magill, Eades, Morin, Parker, Mejia (who'd I miss?) are all playing for someone else. Harper would find a home real quick-like. What does that tell us?
- 67 replies
-
- twins vs white sox
- minnesota twins
- (and 3 more)
-
Front Page: Series Preview: Southside Special
bird replied to Ted Schwerzler 's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Thanks for tempering expectations a bit regarding this series, as apparently a lot of people think this team is a complete pushover. All it would take is for Lopez to throw shutout innings like I believe he did in his last start while Berrios reverts to his struggling form, for Perez to look pathetic against Giolito, and for someone like Jiminez or Moncada to light Odo up while the light bulb goes on for Covey, and presto, we end up losing a couple/three of these games. Not predicting this. This Twins squad is still limping along, let's not fool ourselves too much. Thankfully, we have incredible depth, so unlike Chicago, KC, and Detroit, we're not inserting bona fide AAA talent into four spots in the order every day. The main difference between us and them is the number of lousy players they have to use. Like we did just last season.- 14 replies
-
- minnesota twins
- chicago white sox
- (and 3 more)
-
Dobnak deserves a ton of credit for advancing through three minor league levels. Not a weird choice by any means.
- 23 replies
-
- randy dobnak
- jordan balazovic
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
If we're talking strictly about starting pitching, then yes, they clearly don't appear to be up for the postseason challenge against the top teams in baseball. But we have to cut them some slack regarding last night's game against Strassberg. Cruz looks like he's still not feeling great. Rosario looks to be nursing a couple of body parts IMO. That game may have gone so much differently with Kepler in RF and in the lineup, and with a healthy Sano, Cave, Gonzales. Garver and Cron. This team has the ability to sneak in a win against a top pitcher who has something other than his best stuff, but they gotta get healthy. They need to win a game in Cleveland. Not an easy thing right now.
- 41 replies
-
- twins vs nationals
- minnesota twins
- (and 2 more)
-
Front Page: Maybe the Twins Bullpen is Actually Good?
bird replied to Cody Christie's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Maybe not always, but you make a good point. The difference between bad and good is often the difference between overworked and rested. -
Fangraphs doesn't currently rank Ober among the Twin's first 42 prospects, which means they probably have him at a 35FV grade or lower. This no doubt will change soon.
- 35 replies
-
- bailey ober
- trey cabbage
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
I recall reading an article awhile back that described Tyler's injury history necessitating a change to his current sidearm delivery. His delay is probably related to the injury and subsequent adjustment.
- 35 replies
-
- bailey ober
- trey cabbage
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Oakland fans might be saying something similar about THEIR starting left fielder Robbie Grossman.
- 36 replies
-
- martin perez
- mitch garver
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Unless the light bulb goes back on for Martin Perez and we see improved pitch quality and some semblance of command again, I don't quite understand why we'd assume he'd be a liability in the rotation but an asset in the pen. Wouldn't it be likely that Thorpe and Smeltzer are better lefty options? Maybe even Gonsalves? I'd probably also take a bet that Hildenberger is a more effective postseason option than Graterol. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if he came back and was one of 4-5 effective postseason performers out of the pen.
- 28 replies
-
- jose berrios
- michael pineda
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Does anyone else see a discomforting similarity between the calls for Graterol this year and the calls for Romero last year?
- 28 replies
-
- jose berrios
- michael pineda
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
The only thing I can imagine is that they're frantically working behind the scenes to fix May and the pitching coaches are asking Rocco for a little more time.
- 135 replies
-
- minnesota twins game recap
- twins vs marlins
- (and 2 more)
-
I recall Molitor drawing a comparison of Kepler's potential to Yelich. It was a seemingly absurd thought. At the same time, quite a few people were arguing to sit Kepler down in favor of Cave, and to dangle Kepler as trade bait. Guess which idea sounds absurd now, right?
- 42 replies
-
- mitch garver
- jose berrios
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Yeah, that 19 year drought between 30 HR players is almost as unfathomable as what's going on now. Almost.
- 42 replies
-
- mitch garver
- jose berrios
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
I'm guessing that call has been made. Would love it if this was in the works.
- 59 replies
-
- minnesota twins trade
- mlb trade deadline
- (and 2 more)
-
You'll also like the fact that he can't watch TV without parental guidance.
- 15 replies
-
- griffin jax
- kai-wei teng
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
I don't think the talent evaluators would put Balazovic and Vallimont in the same value category.
- 218 replies
-
- sergio romo
- lewin diaz
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
I'm not sure if it's an overpay or not. The FO guy for the Marlins described Diaz as "the best left-handed power hitter in the minor leagues", hyperbole most likely, but if not, it's an overpay. I believe the MLB pipeline report on Vallimont mentioned that he hit 98MPH on the gun at some point in a short stint at Mercyhurst, so who knows, maybe our amateur scouts, who have some history with that DII program, have a book on Vallimont that makes them think he can be developed into something. We should cheer for this FO to be aggressive traders. We have lived with a long history of passivity. Of letting prospects run their course and become free agents, get scooped up via Rule 5, or have the luster fade. Our own people should be the first to know. We should be better at trading a guy like Oswaldo Arcia before the rest of the league ALSO sees that his knucklehead syndrome is a limiting factor. I want a FO that's not afraid to lose a trade here and there.
- 218 replies
-
- sergio romo
- lewin diaz
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:

