Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Recommended Posts

Posted

Listened to Pat Hughes with the Cubs last night and he was terrible. I know he is in the recipient of the Ford Frick for announcers of the National Baseball Hall of Fame. 

I listen to all games on the radio; no video. I have listened to all the broadcasters of 30 teams; quite a continuum. I focus on about 6-7 sets of announcers as favorites and tune into the booths of the Dodgers, Tigers, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Yanks, WSox, and Athletics. I listen for the game itself, not necessarily the team and Hughes would shake out in the bottom 5.

Why such a knock on Hughes PBP? Not one ounce of visuals. "That was a strike," as Ron Coomer quickly tries to pick up the slack. Nothing about location, speed, or type of pitch. Not the batters BA, let alone other batting stats. Nothing about batters coming up about whom the pitcher has to worry during this at bat. No narrative whatsoever.

I respect the legend and I could pick out Hughes voice from all 60 to whom I listen. But the past honor doesn't cut it for me. As a retiree well past Hughes in trips around the sun, I might suggest the Cubs honor that past and get onto tomorrow.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Twins community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...